Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
HELP! Need hamentash fillings!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:59 am
So sweet, sweet DH decided at the Megillah reading that the world needs a new shot of energy. Since this idea fell into his head during the first words of the Megillah, he decided it must have to do with 127.

So he has decided that for the good of the world 127 different hamentashen must be eaten, representing and elevating the 127 countries of Achashveirosh.

With his good-heartedness and Mesiras Nefesh he has personally undertaken to eat all of these hamentashen and not force anyone else to do it.

But since he didn't want me to feel ENTIRELY left out of this new inspirational project, he gave me the teeny tiny task of coming up with and baking these hamentashen. He says that bakery hamentashen are not refined enough for the task of improving the world, so I will be zoche to have a personal part in making all of them.

Because he's so thoughtful and considerate, he did not mention this idea to me until he saw that the triplets were asleep, because he knew I might not be able to give it my personal attention.

He also graciously allowed me to finish packing all of the Shalach Manos before beginning on his project, because even though it is important for the whole world, he knew how stressed I would be until the Shalach Manos were complete.

I finally sat down to come up with 127 hamentash ideas, and I am still short. Please help!

- I have 13 kinds of jelly (raspberry, strawberry, apricot, apple, prune, blueberry, cherry, grape, peach, plum, pineapple, orange, blackberry) - yes, I had to take an uber to the 24 hour grocery for some of these!
- Obviously I whipped up a batch of mohn filling
- I did chocolate brownie, chocolate chips, chocolate ganache, chocolate babka-style, chocolate dough with chocolate filling, and milk chocolate
- I ransacked Chabad.org for ideas and am making salted caramel, cream cheese, apple pie, lemon poppy, granola, vanilla bean, and sprinkle hamentashen
- I checked Busyinbrooklyn.com and came up with raspberry hamentashen pies, sushi onigri, fig newton, peanut butter, baklava, walnut, corndog, cabbage, mushroom, spinach, falafel, rice crispy, marzipan
- On the savory theme I have meatball, shredded beef, salami, turkey, moroccan cigar

I might be counting wrong (I went through a fraction (maybe 9/16 or so) of a bottle of Bartenura Blue) but that's around 45. I need more ideas! Please help, because DH says he needs to finish eating them all before shkiyah on Purim and it's hard to bake with the triplets and the rest of the kids awake.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 2:09 am
You could do some combo ones like chocolate + peanut butter or different types of jelly. For savory there are cheese options besides cream cheese, maybe pizza flavored? Pesto and mozzarella?

advocate

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 2:16 am
Thank you for making me smile at 213 am! Happy Purim!

Almonds paste
Broccoli and cheese
Fried onions
Salmon
Biscoff cookie butter
Esrog jam, homemade, of course

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:27 am
I believe Jelly Belly has 39 flavors in the big Costco container. You would have to sort the flavors which can sometimes be tricky as they look alike, but you can always bite each one in half to taste.
How delicious would that be!!!
Just imagine:
Butter popcorn
Cotton candy
Tutti fruity
Root beer
Margarita
Black licorice
...and more.

And by the way, the raspberry taste nothing like real raspberries or raspberry jelly, so they would all be entirely new flavors.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:34 am
Is it not assur to fill hamantaschen with anything other than poppy seeds?

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:40 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Is it not assur to fill hamantaschen with anything other than poppy seeds?

Honeydew, if you eat as many as I do, and you stick exclusively to poppyseed, I hope that nobody random drug tests you this week.
Behatzlacha.

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 3:57 am
kosher.com showed cotton candy filling

top mom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 5:07 am
Your dh must be an esteemed talmid of my uber-esteemed dh, Harav Reb Zanvel Zevulun Zvilowitz!
So his type to teach these minhagim in his popular shiurim
I'm inspired by you, a new mom to triplets, who takes the time to do what's Really important this Purim; being an aishes chayil, AND baking those hamantashen!
Signed, yawning, blinking and baking,
(I ended up having quads, not triplets)
Rebetzin Zelda Zlata Zvilowitz

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 5:39 am
chcolate chips ]
prune
rasberry

Teomima

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:23 am
Thanks for the smile!!

Combine ingredients you've mentioned for entirely new flavors:
Chocolate raspberry, chocolate strawberry, peanut butter and strawberry jam, peanut butter and grape jelly, chocolate and peanut butter, etc.
This year we're making s'mores filling (chocolate and marshmallow).

yo'ma

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:42 am
How about different types of foods for purim from around the world/

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:48 am
You clearly have not exhausted all the savory options.

- Certain types of locusts are kosher.
- How about ptcha?

Teomima

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 6:51 am
DrMom wrote:
You clearly have not exhausted all the savory options.

- Certain types of locusts are kosher.
- How about ptcha?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 7:45 am
You didn't include potato, sweet potato, ground meat/taco,

One of magazines had cut Frank & blanks to form a large hamentash.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 8:25 am
Have you tried putting potato kugel mix inside a hamentash?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:33 pm
Cream cheese and lox
Roasted garlic
Cholent

You can do sheva minim hamentaschen. Do you have any dried fruits left over from Tu b'shvat? That would give you some possibilities!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:54 pm
Earth from each of the 127 countries.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Earth from each of the 127 countries.

Beto O'Rourke-taschen?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:32 pm
Lahmagene - is a Syrian mini meat pizza
On Purim I shape them into hamentashen
The ground beef is made with tamarind sauce

https://rachelkor.com/the-very.....cipe/

avrahamama

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 1:45 pm
Gefilte fish hamentashen. Everything seasoning and cream cheese hamentashen. Charoset hamentashen. Cholent hamentashen. Salsa hamentashen. Rice and beans burrito hamentashen. Red pepper jelly! Whitefish salad! Creamed spinach! Potato! Spinach feta! (Can you tell I like savory?)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics