Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What are people thinking??????
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Stars

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Off topic a bit, do people get all freaked out when men decide to wear a dress, wig, and lipstick on Purim? I have seen so many guys do this! Lady

I haven't seen it here. It seems to be a thing in isreal. So gross.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It would be cute if it would be done in a tasteful way. Not when the shape of the stomach is perfectly exposed by a tight top. Sorry, it's the opposite of tzenuis for a frum women. We don't wear tight clothing that exposes the shapes of our body parts perfectly. Especially maternity.

nah its only cute if your see the shape of the belly.

did you know this woman?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:56 am
It’s distasteful to me because once I read on this site how Frum women are like gum all machines. In a pretty mean and disgusting post actually. You drop the quarter in and our comes a baby....

Unfortunately, I can’t look at a gum ball machine quite the same again.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:58 am
SuperWify wrote:
It’s distasteful to me because once I read on this site how Frum women are like gum all machines. In a pretty mean and disgusting post actually. You drop the quarter in and our comes a baby....

Unfortunately, I can’t look at a gum ball machine quite the same again.

I wouldn’t have made that connection. I think it’s just cute because of the shape. :-)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
nah its only cute if your see the shape of the belly.

did you know this woman?

I don't know her, we saw her at a party.
It would be cute if it would be done in an appropriate way. Everything can be cute if it's done right. It's the opposite of tzenuis to expose our bumps and to draw attention to it.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 10:59 am
Stars wrote:
I haven't seen it here. It seems to be a thing in isreal. So gross.

America too. I've seen it in NY, Seattle, and Portland OR.

trixx

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Off topic a bit, do people get all freaked out when men decide to wear a dress, wig, and lipstick on Purim? I have seen so many guys do this! Lady

Yes bc it usually looks like cross dressing. Some sloppy lipstick and a messy shaitel, ok that might be cute. But the men who dress up as women usually put in more effort than that

mizle10

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:19 am
shmosmom wrote:
I understand why you don't like it, and I don't know if I love it either, but therefore I just wouldn't do it. I wouldn't come on imamother and bash a random woman. That's more distasteful.

This exactly. I don’t think I would like it either but I would never start an anonymous post online saying “there’s this lady I don’t know and I hated her costume”

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:21 am
mizle10 wrote:
This exactly. I don’t think I would like it either but I would never start an anonymous post online saying “there’s this lady I don’t know and I hated her costume”

It's not about this lady per se. Many seemingly frum women seem to think that tzenuis flies out the window on Purim.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:22 am
malki2 wrote:
It’s actually very halachically questionable to do that. AFAIK most authorities if not all do not allow full dress up as member of the opposite gender, even on Purim.
And I learned differently, that ON purim it is fine. Ive known some very frum men in my day, dressing up as women, wig, long skirt and all.

malki2

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:24 am
singleagain wrote:
Then let the guys wear pants under the dress or man shoes. There now they aren't dressed as ladies completely

Yeah, but most don’t even allow that. See Mishna Berura.

mizle10

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not about this lady per se. Many seemingly frum women seem to think that tzenuis flies out the window on Purim.

Then maybe a post titled “PSA- tznius still counts, even on Purim” would be more appropriate.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry, secular people draw attention to their bump. It didn't think frum women would do the same. Dress up their stomach? Seriously??
Ive seen many frum women wearing msternity wear that is form fitting. Why not? What is wtong with letting the pregnant belly be shown?
And if youve never seen pregnsnt wonen dressing up their pregnsnt bellies, well, you need to get out more Smile
I see it very often. This year included.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:27 am
Rappel wrote:
It grosses me out every time. I've never said anything to anyone, but I think it's completely inappropriate, even if you do find a strain of halacha which would permit it.
What exactly grosses you out about it? I see it so often.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:28 am
You’re seriously this upset over a costume worn for one day Rolling Eyes

Get over yourself.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's not what your OP said. It said the lady had no sechel for wearing a gumball costume on Purim, and it emphasised her bump. If your issue is tznius flying out the window on Purim,start a thread on that. But singling out a specific costume and specific person and then amending in later posts to a tznius issue? Just as distasteful.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know her, we saw her at a party.
It would be cute if it would be done in an appropriate way. Everything can be cute if it's done right. It's the opposite of tzenuis to expose our bumps and to draw attention to it.
why? Whats wrong with a woman being proud of being pregnant?

malki2

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:33 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

ABCs of tzniyut: Exposure or calling attention to any part of the body is not tzniyut. Be proud. No need to call attention to your body. Some women are very proud of their breasts and rear ends also. Mishlei refers to this as נזם זהב באף חזיר.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:37 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

She can be proud without exposing the exact shape and size.
It's not tzenuis to expose the shape of any body part.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 11 2020, 11:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ive seen many frum women wearing msternity wear that is form fitting. Why not? What is wtong with letting the pregnant belly be shown?
And if youve never seen pregnsnt wonen dressing up their pregnsnt bellies, well, you need to get out more Smile
I see it very often. This year included.

Why not?? Because frum women wearing form fitting clothing is against halacha. That's why not. And because you see it often, it doesn't make it OK.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics