Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Packing list for Pesach in rented house in Florida:
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:32 am
Our program has been cancelled and we are renting a house in middle of nowhere, Florida. We haven’t made Pesach at ‘home’ in more than 20 years (no judgement, please) For families who have done this, does anyone have a master list to help us starting thinking about where to start? Produce we will buy locally but otherwise plan to shop in NY and bring most everything with us. I know I need everything: but I don’t know what everything is. If anyone has a list to share, I’d appreciate it!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:36 am
No judgment just advice, Trump may be enacting a domestic travel ban. So be prepared with a back up plan in case that happens.
I believe that are food services in FL where you can order meals and Pesach products to be delivered.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:36 am
Please please plan that you won't be able to fly to Florida. Unless you're planning to drive down.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Our program has been cancelled and we are renting a house in middle of nowhere, Florida. We haven’t made Pesach at ‘home’ in more than 20 years (no judgement, please) For families who have done this, does anyone have a master list to help us starting thinking about where to start? Produce we will buy locally but otherwise plan to shop in NY and bring most everything with us. I know I need everything: but I don’t know what everything is. If anyone has a list to share, I’d appreciate it!

If you're going to Orlando, be prepared that they do not have a lot of produce, just basics.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:43 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Please please plan that you won't be able to fly to Florida. Unless you're planning to drive down.

Yes we are planning on driving

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:44 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
If you're going to Orlando, be prepared that they do not have a lot of produce, just basics.

Not Orlando. But what do you mean they don’t have produce? Carrots, onions, potatoes, can’t be found?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not Orlando. But what do you mean they don’t have produce? Carrots, onions, potatoes, can’t be found?

Harder to find zucchini, parsnip, dill, eggplant, beets, various squashes for soups and other dishes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
No judgment just advice, Trump may be enacting a domestic travel ban. So be prepared with a back up plan in case that happens.
I believe that are food services in FL where you can order meals and Pesach products to be delivered.

We are planning on driving. We are also planning on cooking there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:46 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Harder to find zucchini, parsnip, dill, eggplant, beets, various squashes for soups and other dishes.

We don’t need most of that but why wouldn’t that be available in a major supermarket?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We don’t need most of that but why wouldn’t that be available in a major supermarket?

They just weren't readily available in touristy Orlando when my SIL went last year. They thought they'd have access to all produce and would have brought some of it with them if they had known since they brought everything else with them.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:53 am
Who knows what a domestic travel ban involves, it may be more than just shutting down airports. Be prepared, that's all.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are planning on driving. We are also planning on cooking there.

Ok so think about kitchen stuff. Do you know if the house is gas stove or electric? Can/do you cook on YT?

You'll def need an urn. A hot plate. Paper goods. Lots of plastic tablecloth covers. Wine key! (We lost ours one year) can opener lots of wooden spoons and a sharpie so you can label them get three very good cheap serated knives (red/blue/green) so you can color code for meat dairy parve

Lots of tins. Foil Ziploc bags

avrahamama

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Who knows what a domestic travel ban involves, it may be more than just shutting down airports. Be prepared, that's all.

Either way OP will need help knowing what she needs! We can help her.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:10 pm
This should get you started. Pick out what you need.

Paper goods: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, paper towels, tissues, aluminum pans, containers, tablecloths, pre-cut foil, parchment paper, long candles, candle holders, wicks, 3 day yartzeit candles for flame, matches, bedikas chometz supplies, toothpics, dish soap, sponges, steel wool, sink strainers, refrigerator liners, counter shelf table liners, tape

Meats: roast, chicken, bones (for mains, chicken soup, cholent, zroah)

Matza: whole, shvarim, matza meal

Wine: grape juice and wine

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses)

Groceries: salt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, baking oil, ketchup, mayo, sauce, coffee, pickles, quinoa

Snacks: gum, chips, cake/cookies/crackers, chocolate

Dairy: milk, cheese snack, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese/butter

Refrigerator: eggs, dips, orange juice

Freezer: frozen veggies, frozen garlic cubes

Fish: gefilte, salmon

Produce: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, salad veggies, marror lettuce, dill for soup, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits, avocadoes, parsnips, beets, kohlrabi, marror horseradish (for grinding)

Beverages: water, apple juice, seltzer, soda, apple juice box drinks, water bottles (trips)

Baby & Pharmacy: diapers, baby wipes, bottles/pacifiers, toothbrushes, Tylenol

Baking with a bowl and a spoon
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....80938

Utensils: pots/pans/baking/roasting pans (I'd revise my menu so everything could be made in the oven in disposable pans), crockpot, electric hot plate, shabbos timer, shabbos lamps, mixing spoons, measuring cups/spoons, can opener/corkscrew, hand grater (can use for garlic, charoses, kugel), knives, peeler, spatula, soup ladle, strainer, tablecloth, counter cover, hot water.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:11 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Either way OP will need help knowing what she needs! We can help her.

Thank you. I appreciate this. I’m not asking anyone to spend a lot of time on this but if someone has done this and has a list ready to share I’d appreciate it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This should get you started. Pick out what you need.

Paper goods: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, paper towels, tissues, aluminum pans, containers, tablecloths, pre-cut foil, parchment paper, long candles, candle holders, wicks, 3 day yartzeit candles for flame, bedikas chometz supplies, toothpics, dish soap, sponges, steel wool, sink strainers, refrigerator liners, counter shelf table liners, tape

Meats: roast, chicken, bones (for mains, chicken soup, cholent, zroah)

Matza: whole, shvarim, matza meal

Wine: grape juice and wine

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses)

Groceries: salt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, baking oil, ketchup, mayo, sauce, coffee, pickles, quinoa

Snacks: gum, chips, cake/cookies/crackers, chocolate

Dairy: milk, cheese snack, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese/butter

Refrigerator: eggs, dips, orange juice

Freezer: frozen veggies, frozen garlic cubes

Fish: gefilte, salmon

Produce: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, salad veggies, marror lettuce, dill for soup, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits, avocadoes, parsnips, beets, kohlrabi, marror horseradish (for grinding)

Beverages: water, apple juice, seltzer, soda, apple juice box drinks, water bottles (trips)

Baby & Pharmacy: diapers, baby wipes, bottles/pacifiers, toothbrushes, Tylenol

Baking with a bowl and a spoon
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....80938

Thank you so much. I appreciate it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:12 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Ok so think about kitchen stuff. Do you know if the house is gas stove or electric? Can/do you cook on YT?

You'll def need an urn. A hot plate. Paper goods. Lots of plastic tablecloth covers. Wine key! (We lost ours one year) can opener lots of wooden spoons and a sharpie so you can label them get three very good cheap serated knives (red/blue/green) so you can color code for meat dairy parve

Lots of tins. Foil Ziploc bags

Very, very helpful. Thank you.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much. I appreciate it

Utensils: pots/pans/baking/roasting pans (I'd revise my menu so everything could be made in the oven in disposable pans), crockpot, electric hot plate, shabbos timer, shabbos lamps, mixing spoons, measuring cups/spoons, can opener/corkscrew, hand grater (can use for garlic, charoses, kugel), knives, peeler, spatula, soup ladle, strainer, tablecloth, counter cover, hot water.

Dish soap, sponges, kitchen and bathroom cleaning products, detergent for laundry, deodorants and toiletries, shampoo & soap, toilet paper, linens and towels.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 12:52 pm
Quote:
Utensils: pots/pans/baking/roasting pans (I'd revise my menu so everything could be made in the oven in disposable pans), 

Mostly, yes, but I would include one good sized pot for soup and a smaller pan for eggs.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Mar 15 2020, 1:05 pm
OP o have my own household spreadsheet if you are interested you can PM me. It might not apply to you but maybe a good way to see how to organize
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics