Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Journal: Day 1 of Bais Corona D'Homeschool
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:52 pm
OK, breathe in, breathe out. I did it! Day of 10 kids home. Phew!

Morning was a mad rush, midday okay, evening on the verge, night near collapse.

How was your day?

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:54 pm
(Everyone else had no strength to answer. They just collapsed into bed happy to still have a pulse. According to my dd, she ate her first meal at 10 pm)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 10:57 pm
I think the most educational thing that happened here today was them singing along to Rebbi Alter's Pesach Album at the top of their lungs.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:01 pm
6 kids. Plus worked almost all my full time hours. No playmates. Some cleaning. Some schoolwork. A new game. School lunch pickup. Coloring Haggadahs. Biking. Ended the day with an excersize video. Survived exhausted. Two kids not feeling great. Yikes!

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:02 pm
Whewhoo!
Kids went ti bed happy. Me? Im so exhaused I cant even eat anymore.
Not everyone made it to the bathroom all the time.... ahem.....
Still waiting for a load of laundry to finish....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:11 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Whewhoo!
Kids went ti bed happy. Me? Im so exhaused I cant even eat anymore.
Not everyone made it to the bathroom all the time.... ahem.....
Still waiting for a load of laundry to finish....

I'm glad your kids went to bed happy. Mine had to be shooed in. They were trying to reason, no school, no catching bus, no bedtime.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:22 pm
Im gonna post what I did today so that I remember that there once was a sane day (even if its the only one this month/year...?!)
At 615 older dd woke me. I told her she clock isnt green yet and she should go back to bed. She woke me a 2nd time at 7:00:01. Dressed kids, tidied up rooms, made elaborate (time wasting) hair dos. Went down for breakfast at about 7:50. Served breakfast, cleaned up breakfast. Set the kids up with toys and went back up to dress myself- forced myslef to wear tights so that ill feel semi dressed (no wig- thats pushing it) made coffee.

9:00-10:15- davening, exercise, review some things morah sent home, trace letters, listen to uncle moishys pesach song
10:15-11:15- went outside and played morah music bubble song and blew bubbles along with it. Kids had snack bags and played on swings
11:15-11:45- baked cupcakes
11:45-12:45- made pizza, played while it baked, ate pizza, had cupcake for dessert, benched aloud, cleaned up from lunch
12:45-1:45- did an amazing savings project (animal hats) sangs and acted silly with the hats
1:45-2:30 went back outside as per kids request. Had sliced apples as snack
2:30-3:00 read stories and said bye to our fake in house classroom.

3:00-5:00 kids played and fought and repeated that again...
5:00-5:30 had dinner (chicken nuggets from freezer and farfel- nutritious, I know)
5:30-6:00 cleaned up toys and kitchen
6:00-7:00 bath, pjs, stories etc
7:45- finallh asleep.
8:00 - mom goes to work Very Happy

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:26 pm
WOW
You are a hero Queen

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 11:29 pm
Going into day 4 of homeschool.... daughter wakes up every morning saying “yay! Another day of Ima school!” I guess I’m doing something right.... truth is I’m really having fun. I don’t usually spend time with my kids in the environment and capacity I am now. I am exhausted by five though and then spend the night working and pesach cleaning.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:28 am
Everyday we try to do at least one very fun thing!

Monday we popped popcorn in a pot and put into cones (not exactly shaped) out of construction paper.
Had a very interactive pesach lesson & a fun davening with 4 kids on completely different levels/songs.
Played with pink kinetic sand and it’s still all over the place along with popcorn.
And I don’t remember what else we did.

Tuesday. Kids enjoyed their sn sis zoom davening & circle time, then we went swimming. 3 kids got into their bathing suits with a Sesame Street fizzy had a pink bubble Bath!
Had a ton of fun with a mendy music cd & then worked on Haggadahs.

Wednesday. Zoom with sis class again while the 4 yr old was honking with a trumpet (his theme song all day these days)
main activity was slime sand and play doh. Lots of fun! Dancing with mendy music and some arts and crafts.

There’s a lot of coloring being done every day. Lots of doll playing & mentchies & clicks & manga tiles... More elaborate meals and a great mess which is great because it’s a free obstacle course wherever you go.

I did allow some screen time the end of the day, which is usually a big no no. But my sanity is important and so far bh kids have all been very happy and calm (that doesn’t mean there’s never fighting or whining happening though!)

Every day the kids have a chance to come to the wide open window to breathe In the high rise fresh polluted Brooklyn air Smile)

My goal is to get through this as a happy family.
Yes, I’m living in a huge mess and I should go fold the laundry and clear the floors and tables... but again, kids are happy & that’s all that I need now. No clue how pesach will happen though...

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:36 am
I have everyone home all week already.

Husband trying to work at home.
Baby wants to be held only.

Trying to do pesach cleaning all over at once, with a new cleaning lady, as I am very behind.

Trying to keep kids occupied, but the minute I look away, they're into trouble even though I give them activities to do.

Today we washed the porch & contents so I can set up the kids there with actvities.

I gave them wooden crafts with paint, but what they did was painted their entire faces & hands black & made black handprints across the freshly washed floor.

Yesterday I told them to make pesachdig their prize boxes, but there was a flood all over.

They also pulled out, on their own, sidewalk chalk yesterday & did it on porch, but it was right after my dgtr took a bath & they were all covered in chalk from top to bottom, tracking it inside.

We went to shoe store when empty with masks & gloves but my kids decided to make a scene there & one child very immunocompromised. I told him he shouldn't come along & I will bring shoes home for him but he just jumped along & davka wanted to remove mask/gloves etc.

They did do some learning together, tehillim,some educational workbooks, coloring, reading, which I commend them for.

They also had a kick of going through their older brother's childhood collections like safety cards, anyone?

Eta: another exciting activity they were obsessed with yesterday, when I wasn't actively keeping them constructively busy, was building homes from open umbrellas.

We set up new small trampoline on porch for some excercise, so hopefully it will exhaust some of their boundless energy ka"h.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:42 am
So for those of you with many kids home and older kids or teens- are they helping with keeping the younger ones entertained?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
So for those of you with many kids home and older kids or teens- are they helping with keeping the younger ones entertained?

Kind of..It takes some nagging and bribing, but BH, veihu erev veihu boker, yom achud!

keym

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:54 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Everyday we try to do at least one very fun thing!

Monday we popped popcorn in a pot and put into cones (not exactly shaped) out of construction paper.
Had a very interactive pesach lesson & a fun davening with 4 kids on completely different levels/songs.
Played with pink kinetic sand and it’s still all over the place along with popcorn.
And I don’t remember what else we did.

Tuesday. Kids enjoyed their sn sis zoom davening & circle time, then we went swimming. 3 kids got into their bathing suits with a Sesame Street fizzy had a pink bubble Bath!
Had a ton of fun with a mendy music cd & then worked on Haggadahs.

Wednesday. Zoom with sis class again while the 4 yr old was honking with a trumpet (his theme song all day these days)
main activity was slime sand and play doh. Lots of fun! Dancing with mendy music and some arts and crafts.

There’s a lot of coloring being done every day. Lots of doll playing & mentchies & clicks & manga tiles... More elaborate meals and a great mess which is great because it’s a free obstacle course wherever you go.

I did allow some screen time the end of the day, which is usually a big no no. But my sanity is important and so far bh kids have all been very happy and calm (that doesn’t mean there’s never fighting or whining happening though!)

Every day the kids have a chance to come to the wide open window to breathe In the high rise fresh polluted Brooklyn air Smile)

My goal is to get through this as a happy family.
Yes, I’m living in a huge mess and I should go fold the laundry and clear the floors and tables... but again, kids are happy & that’s all that I need now. No clue how pesach will happen though...

Can I have a recipe and instructions for popcorn in the pot.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:00 am
keym wrote:
Can I have a recipe and instructions for popcorn in the pot.

No exact recipe- large chunk of coconut oil on the bottom of a lg pot. Poured in about 3/4 of a bag of seeds & sprinkled pink Himalayan salt & kosher salt. Shook the contents around.
Put on a medium flame and occasionally shook the pot- especially after it started popping.
Hope this is helpful...
Hearty appetite Smile

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:03 am
Here I found an exact recipe. You might have to double or triple & use a bigger pot though.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:28 am
I cover the bottom of the pot with oil, pour in seeds of one layer to cover bottom of pot. Add salt. Turn on medium flame and wait for the popping. Shut flame and empty contents immediately after the last pop or else pot gets burned. Place pats of butter on top of warm popcorn in bowl for added deliciousness. Enjoy!

avrahamama

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:52 am
I have been letting the kids do their own thing. It's amazing how much they know and learn without my trying to structure their day.

They play yetziay mitzrayim with costumes and toys. They draw on the walls scenes from the megillah. They sing davening all day. Every once in a while I have to jump in and save them from a fight. But mostly I straighten up the house and feed them ALL DAY and they teach themselves. CHASDEI HASHEM

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 1:29 pm
Some humor:

If a woman talks to herself these days is it because she has lost her mind....

..... or is it pta?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

My oldest son has been taking the 2 youngest on a long daily walk. He feels good and I think is grateful to just get out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics