Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
First World Problems
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 9:04 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Five minutes before candle lighting my Shabbos lamp announced that in response to the current crisis, it was now only providing emergency services. Reading in bed was not considered an emergency.

I've no idea if there are any shops open where I can buy a new one.

Check if it's the light bulb. If not, order a new one on Amazon.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 9:07 pm
The food insecurity is really getting to me.

We are not going to starve. I will always find SOMETHING to eat to keep us from perishing from hunger.

But I can no longer rely on having peanut butter and jelly in the house so my kids have lunch. I can't rely on scrambled eggs as a simple dinner when I'm tired. I can't rely on potatoes being available for dinners or for Pesach. The stores here are empty of many staples and have limits when they get them in. We can go through 6 dozen eggs in a week, easily, and the limit is 2 per family.

We are almost out of chicken and ground beef, and we live OOT and can't just go into Brooklyn to get more now. We are out of milk and I don't know if the stores will have almond or soy milk. Trying not to worry about Pesach, I don't know which meat stores will ship.

I'm not the most creative cook in the best of times, and it's not easy for me to now come up with new recipes and hope the kids will like them. I'm trying to keep everyone calm and happy, and if everyone is hungry and grouchy things will get much harder.

I know I'm spoiled because compared to third-world countries I'm STILL in the lap of luxury, but I'm really having a hard time with this.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 4:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Check if it's the light bulb. If not, order a new one on Amazon.

Its LEDs, not a regular bulb, so I can't change them. And amazon orders to Israel are taking a few weeks at the moment. I want a new one before Pesach. Preferably before next Shabbos.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 5:36 pm
I am running out of my favorite genre of books to own. I can't get my large black pearl necklace restrung, and I can't get a custom gold piece of jewelry made. Now these are real first world problems.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
My daughter has a medical condition that makes her have a hard time tolerating many many foods. We can't get her organic chick peas that are safe for her and I'm running low. It's one of her 2 safe proteins. BH we did get our most recent shipment of formula for her so there's always that to fall back on, but she's 5 years old and not always interested in drinking her formula. It's freaking me out. Crying Crying

I ordered from 2 different places. One canceled my order and one said their supplier keeps pushing off the delivery and they don't know when it's coming. I don't want to give her a new company that she's never had before and then possibly have her react from cross contamination issues. It's not worth taking chances right now.

I know it's not the worst thing ever. But I'm so rattled from it.

Which formula?

Laiya

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:14 pm
Not a complaint. I'm thrilled that NY's plastic bag ban has been put on hold. All it took was a global pandemic!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:17 pm
Hugs to the mom with the organic chickpeas!!!

I'm TERRIFIED of hubby losing job
and me losing job
we're both trying to work with kids home but if we miss paychecks even one week we are TOAST

I keep thinking HASHEM YOU HAVE NEVER LET ME FALL but it's a real challenge.
Hashem brought me into this world. He lavished everything upon me - food, housing, family, love, health, medical care. He gave me a job. He put corona into this world. WHAT AM I AFRAID OF? He will keep on taking care of me! And my parents who have corona! and my in-laws who are falling apart because they're cooped up! and if I have to make pesach for the first time He will take care of me too! And even help me with my super-challenging kids!

I know this but I am still sweating when I think of it. I keep thanking Him for this version of my life - like, there are a bajillion more agonizing ways I could be learning this (Holocaust? Literally every year of miserable Jewish history???) but this is it - my cushioned reality. So I am glad to learn. And for the whatsapp groups that keep me so supported. And my Rav who keeps on having supportive call-in conferences for all of us. I feel so connected and loved.

BUT YES I AM STILL FRIGHTENED. thank you for asking and letting me rave. I feel a lot better now :-)

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:00 pm
I need a manicure desperately.

(My nails are cracking and even when I coat them with nail hardener they feel off. It really bothers me sensory-wise.)

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:05 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Which formula?

Neocate infant. Bh we have enough of that for the time being.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:09 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Which formula?

Are you in need? Maybe we can spare a can or two?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:11 pm
Didn't read through the entire thread, but Amazon prime is showing a MONTH delivery on some items!!!!!!! Banging head

When my trusty one-day shipping Amazon prime isn't functioning....things are bad.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:14 pm
I’m in my first trimester of a very long awaited pregnancy about which I could not be more thankful for. But I am barely able to get out of bed and my kids are fending for themselves. Instead of using this time to do nice things with them, they’re spending half the day on a screen. Everyone’s happy and no one is fighting, but I’m feeling guilty and like I’m missing an opportunity for family time. For an hour or two a day I have little enough energy to try to spend time with them. But this was my dream and here it is, and I can’t complain. I just daven that we stay healthy and that I have a healthy baby with lots of opportunity to bond together as a family. And thank you Hashem for technology!

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:15 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Are you in need? Maybe we can spare a can or two?

No thanks. We’re good so far and we use Kate farms.
But I thought you were running low on that. Don’t know where you’re located but there are some formula gemachs in NY.
And I have a bag of organic chickpeas. Maybe I can hunt down more for you and ship?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:46 pm
Israel is planning to delay summer time in order to keep people indoors, and computers, phones, etc. will need an update, which won't be ready in time, so they will switch to summer time this Friday, when it was originally scheduled for.

ETA: This won't be happening after all. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/JA10IOROF

Last edited by imasoftov on Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:48 pm
So many pregnancy cravings I can't fulfill. I just want some mint chocolate chip ice cream, darnit!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:50 pm
hodeez wrote:
So many pregnancy cravings I can't fulfill. I just want some mint chocolate chip ice cream, darnit!

Every day there’s another food I can’t eat, and I’m down to like two foods, but it’s not easy to just run to a store and get something now!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I’m in my first trimester of a very long awaited pregnancy about which I could not be more thankful for. But I am barely able to get out of bed and my kids are fending for themselves. Instead of using this time to do nice things with them, they’re spending half the day on a screen. Everyone’s happy and no one is fighting, but I’m feeling guilty and like I’m missing an opportunity for family time. For an hour or two a day I have little enough energy to try to spend time with them. But this was my dream and here it is, and I can’t complain. I just daven that we stay healthy and that I have a healthy baby with lots of opportunity to bond together as a family. And thank you Hashem for technology!

Also I have no idea how I’m going to make pesach feeling like this.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:33 pm
I can't get my hair dyed even though I cover. My nails are growing out, and I am in need of a pedicure.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:36 pm
My Google Drive got messed up on my computer , when I set myself up to work from home. However, I have a second job that I always did from home and that uses that Google Drive and that’s where I have my time sheet of all the hours I worked and many other spreadsheets with important information. I now can only access it from my phone instead of my desktop and it’s a real pain and a big waste of precious time.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:50 pm
Other than the homeschooling thing, my real first world problem is that I can't declutter. I have been prevented from it for various reasons for the last few months (making a simcha, Purim, a death in the family, and just when I was hoping for normalcy to come back and for me to get some of this long term project done, we are now very far from normal.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics