Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
First Pesach Takeaway, Sell Soul for Program
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 4:15 pm
It’s my first Pesach married. It’s just my husband and me. Even with the small kitchen, Pesach prep is horrible. We chose to go away to a small cheap air bb bc of our finances. Food is cheaper here than home and we can eat simple. But I think every time I will spend a dollar I will think about saving it to afford a program next year. I actually like cooking. But doing the kitchen is eating my soul away, and husband is shopping for me to make it easier but I’m struggling a lot. I’m curious if it gets better or not. It’s so bad that I would consider a second job to be able to save up for a program.

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 4:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s my first Pesach married. It’s just my husband and me. Even with the small kitchen, Pesach prep is horrible. We chose to go away to a small cheap air bb bc of our finances. Food is cheaper here than home and we can eat simple. But I think every time I will spend a dollar I will think about saving it to afford a program next year. I actually like cooking. But doing the kitchen is eating my soul away, and husband is shopping for me to make it easier but I’m struggling a lot. I’m curious if it gets better or not. It’s so bad that I would consider a second job to be able to save up for a program.

Lol I guess if its worth it for u to work more to pay for that. But in all honesty to cram it all in this week I would have a nervous breakdown I would much rather do a little at a time slowly with plenty of time. Takes the pressure off (and btw I do not have a pesach kitchen) still rather it that way. U need to find what works for u,

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 4:26 pm
This is my first time making pesach after a whole life of going to programs, and I’m enjoying it. But going to programs definitely is easy in terms of just stressing about what to wear, and not having to think about or do any other preparations. A lot of people pay for conveniences (cleaning help, wig washes, landscaping, etc etc) so it depends on you and what value it has to you.

But there is nothing wrong with being overwhelmed with making pesach, and going to a program instead. Sooo many people do!

Sebastian

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 4:29 pm
why are you going away and not staying home? it s harder to go away clean kosher and cook. it does get better

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 4:30 pm
amother Broom wrote:
This is my first time making pesach after a whole life of going to programs, and I’m enjoying it. But going to programs definitely is easy in terms of just stressing about what to wear, and not having to think about or do any other preparations. A lot of people pay for conveniences (cleaning help, wig washes, landscaping, etc etc) so it depends on you and what value it has to you.

But there is nothing wrong with being overwhelmed with making pesach, and going to a program instead. Sooo many people do!

I wash my own wigs to save money! Maybe it’s just bc I’m newly married that I’m finding this kitchen turning over so grueling! Thanks for the kind answer.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:26 pm
A program can easily cost $10,000, not small pocket change. But hey if you can do it and it’s worth working all year for a luxurious Pesach go right ahead. There are a lot of in betweens between a 5 star hotel and making yom tov all by yourself. You can get cleaning help, get some food catered, etc .

giftedmom

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:30 pm
It’s really not that big a deal. I did it for the first time during Covid with 3 kids underfoot and have been doing it since. You literally just pour some hot water on everything and then cover with dekal or vynil or whatever and put in a plastic sink. How on earth is that harder than working all year. I find programs more stressful than that.

chestnut

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

It's overwhelming, especially in the beginning. Add to it a new place, kitchen that's not yours, and I think it makes it harder.

chestnut

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:32 pm
giftedmom wrote:
It’s really not that big a deal. I did it for the first time during Covid with 3 kids underfoot and have been doing it since. You literally just pour some hot water on everything and then cover with dekal or vynil or whatever and put in a plastic sink. How on earth is that harder than working all year. I find programs more stressful than that.

It's not just about kashering counters and the sink. Cleaning the stove, oven, fridge. It all adds up. The first year, getting pots and utensils.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:32 pm
Will you have any compay over yomtov atall?

Are you having sedorim alone?

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:34 pm
giftedmom wrote:

I’m confused. Do you not cook? It’s a lot of work to shop and do all the cooking in a kitchen that is not your regular kitchen where everything needs to be new

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:40 pm
It gets so much easier once you've done it a few times & have your system down. You learn how early to do what, how long things actually take & also what appliances to use. I use a toaster oven & electric plug in stove top & don't use my regular stove & oven.

Why would you go to an ABB as opposed to staying home?

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:59 pm
I once went to a hotel over a weekend. I utterly hated the need to get dressed-dressed for every meal and eat in a big room full of noisy strangers. Not that they were noisy people necessarily, but five hundred or so people in one room are gonna be noisy no matter what. Loved the food, hated the social requirements. And that was all of two days. Eight days of Pesach? Too horrible to contemplate. I'd rather stay home and work my fingers to the bone.

CPenzias

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wash my own wigs to save money! Maybe it’s just bc I’m newly married that I’m finding this kitchen turning over so grueling! Thanks for the kind answer.

It is grueling. I hate it. It gets a little easier every time and you find what works for you. I'd never manage without my husband

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:54 pm
I have no interest in going to a hotel. I'm happy to have the comforts of home. I grew up cleaning for Pesach in my parents' home so it's normal to me. Once I got married, I've learned a little more each year about the preparation strategies that work for me.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you have anybody to share chag with? At home or at the AB&B? Is it just you and your husband?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:08 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
Do you have anybody to share chag with? At home or at the AB&B? Is it just you and your husband?

Just us. BH we have a good connection but on Shabbos and Yuntiv it feels lonely.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:25 am
I looked at the cost of a Pesach program and the cost of just having pesach at home without skimping on cleaning help and prepared foods, and decided that if I have the money, I'm still staying home, just with much more hired conveniences and nicer pesach equipment that I feel good about.

This is our first year doing the sedarim, and my in-laws came over a few days early to help. I wouldn't mind them just as guests, but as help they are worse than none!

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Just us. BH we have a good connection but on Shabbos and Yuntiv it feels lonely.

That is very hard and definitely a reason people go on programs sometimes. Also, European programs are often much cheaper and more chilled.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 8:37 am
Which airbnb are you staying at?
It's near a shu l or a pesach program for minyan?
Also they let you kosher the kitchen?
Hang in there you'll get used to it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics