Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
No more grocery deliveries?!?!?!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:55 am
swear swear swear swear swear.
My grocery is no longer doing deliveries.
What am I supposed to do??
I do not want to go to a packed grocery store. I'm very pregnant and hospitals are saying that if mom has coronavirus at birth she will be separated from baby for 2 weeks. Some hospitals aren't letting husbands in. I cannot get coronavirus. I have been so careful. Going to the grocery store makes everything I am doing pointless because chances are so high someone over there has it.
I don't want to ask for chessed, especially because its a pesach shop, for heavens sake, its $600 worth of groceries, a long long list. Its not a little favor, its a huge one.
UUUUUGGGGHHHHH
What, I'm supposed to choose between starving to death and being separated from my baby?
Crying Crying Crying

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:56 am
Can your DH go and wear gloves as he shops?

runninglate

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:01 am
Where do you live?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:08 am
Do you have an older friend or family member who can shop for you at zekeinim hour, even if they can't do the whole order at one time?

thriver

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:15 am
Maybe give someone else your credit card so they aren’t laying out money for you. Hatzlacha!! Sounds so rough. Is there another store that does deliver? Sometimes the regular (not Jewish) groceries offer kosher l’pesach food.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:15 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Can your DH go and lwear gloves as he shops?

Not relevant to the original question, but gloves don't really help unless you are changing them every two minutes. You don't catch covid-19 through your hands. You catch it if your hands transfer virus particles to your face.

Imagine the scenario. Person A sneezes and virus particles land on a packet of matza meal. Person B then comes, wearing gloves, and picks up said package of matza meal. While putting it in his cart, he transfers some virus particles to his gloves. He then pushes up his glasses, or scratches his nose or touches his face in some other way. What has he saved by wearing gloves?

What is important is to wash hands thoroughly when he gets home - but he needs to do this even if he was wearing gloves.

To return to the original enquiry, maybe the shop would accept an order and pack it up for you if you (or your husband) would go there to collect it?

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:16 am
I feel for you Sad
Not that it helps you, but I want to point out something people don’t realize. I personally know of a grocery and the people who put together orders are in the same predicament. They have little kids at home, no childcare. Some workers are older women who have health issues, and are afraid of coming in. Being at the hub of a grocery store day in and day out is more dangerous for them than for you going in once a week. Many of these workers have stopped coming in so the grocery have no choice but to implement these new rules.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:17 am
Ugh I’m so sorry.

Here’s what I would do:

- take off everything on your list that is not KLP - get that from a regular grocery that has deliveries.

- go down the list and try to narrow it down even more, taking off extras and things that would be hard for a person to find.

- find 3 or more people who are going shopping there and divide the list between them. If that’s too hard, find one friend and ask if they can ask around for you.

I know you don’t want to ask for chesed but if you make it manageable there are people out there who want to help! It is hard to be on the receiving end but now is the time. You have to receive from people in order to give to and protect your baby.

polka dots

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:23 am
U think it would be so much more efficient and safe if they would only do orders. They would have only workers in store wearing masks. They would only be exposed to the same people every day. Store should be locked. And they can either deliver it if it’s to hard do drive through pickup. Is such a model realistic?

behappy2

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:23 am
Some groceries are still delivering. Call every grocery in your area. Some are some aren't

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:42 am
polka dots wrote:
U think it would be so much more efficient and safe if they would only do orders. They would have only workers in store wearing masks. They would only be exposed to the same people every day. Store should be locked. And they can either deliver it if it’s to hard do drive through pickup. Is such a model realistic?

No. Bc we don't have the man power or the vehicles to do this.

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:45 am
Elfrida wrote:
Not relevant to the original question, but gloves don't really help unless you are changing them every two minutes. You don't catch covid-19 through your hands. You catch it if your hands transfer virus particles to your face.

Imagine the scenario. Person A sneezes and virus particles land on a packet of matza meal. Person B then comes, wearing gloves, and picks up said package of matza meal. While putting it in his cart, he transfers some virus particles to his gloves. He then pushes up his glasses, or scratches his nose or touches his face in some other way. What has he saved by wearing gloves?

What is important is to wash hands thoroughly when he gets home - but he needs to do this even if he was wearing gloves.

To return to the original enquiry, maybe the shop would accept an order and pack it up for you if you (or your husband) would go there to collect it?

This is why person B should not be touching his face.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:49 am
singleagain wrote:
This is why person B should not be touching his face.

My point was that there is no difference if he is wearing gloves or just using his bare hands.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:53 am
Probably people who are going to shop anyway would be happy to do chessed for a woman who is due to give birth.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:45 am
Where do live.
Where I live the big stores aren’t doing orders but small stores are still doing

jfk92

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:50 am
Hi my grocery didnt have slots for delivery but they did still have for pickup. So im sending my husband to get it. Maybe that can work for u.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:03 pm
If you can afford to do do, maybe pay a teenager to do the shopping for you and just leave it at your door. You can give him or her your credit card - slip under the door and wipe it down with a cleaning wipe afterwards - or ask the store in advance if you can give them the number over the phone once the teen is checking out.

The kids are all off from school anyway Yes

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:59 pm
Op, I just checked yidel’s site. Seems that they’re doing deliveries. Good luck with all!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics