Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Any Pesach Programs still running?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:04 pm
southernbubby wrote:
A lot of people who are sick don't get tested or report it because they can't go to work anyway so those confirmed cases are a drop in the bucket.

I totally agree - these confirmed cases are just a drop in the bucket in terms of what the actual rate is and this is just the beginning.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:32 pm
UQT wrote:
Just saw greenwald caterers has a full menu - down to preparing the keara plate for you

please post link-can't find it?
Do you know if they deliver out of state?

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:56 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
please post link-can't find it?
Do you know if they deliver out of state?

It's on their IG, first post (for now): https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FpVrhlkxT/
Scroll through for menu and pricing, not sure about out-of-state delivery.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:59 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Yes, it’s on the actual Airbnb website.

On page 1 you posted that "all AirBNB's are being canceled." I checked the AirBNB website as you suggested, and I see very clearly their Covid-19 policy, that guests have the option to cancel any booking made before March 14 for a stay before April 14 at no charge.

But I don't see anything about AirBNB actively canceling people's reservations if they still want to go, as you claimed. I even tried to make a booking in Miami for the week of Pesach and got hundreds of listings to choose from, with no message saying that the booking would be canceled. Am I missing something?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:40 pm
doctorima wrote:
On page 1 you posted that "all AirBNB's are being canceled." I checked the AirBNB website as you suggested, and I see very clearly their Covid-19 policy, that guests have the option to cancel any booking made before March 14 for a stay before April 14 at no charge.

But I don't see anything about AirBNB actively canceling people's reservations if they still want to go, as you claimed. I even tried to make a booking in Miami for the week of Pesach and got hundreds of listings to choose from, with no message saying that the booking would be canceled. Am I missing something?

You are aware that the Florida governor ordered 2 week quarantine for anyone coming from NY

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:30 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
You are aware that the Florida governor ordered 2 week quarantine for anyone coming from NY

Unfortunately idiots are free to drive in unless Florida blocks the highways.

And any fool who is so intent on being in Florida is not going to self quarantine diligently anyway. They will circulate because they will need food at the very least. Banging head Banging head Banging head

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:34 am
Someone’s on here said schick caterers quoted them 10k for 2 adults, 7 children the entire pesach.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:01 am
Amarante wrote:

And any fool who is so intent on being in Florida is not going to self quarantine diligently anyway. They will circulate because they will need food at the very least. Banging head Banging head Banging head
[I]

It may come to that, I wouldn't be surprised. I fully expect to hear about states closing their borders in the next few days.
And, btw, the FL governor has announced new protocol for anybody flying in, they will be tracked. The passengers coming off of planes will be met by air marshalls. Will have temp taken and will need to give personal info taken so their 14 day quarantine can be monitored.
Just an fyi.
I think it is foolish in the extreme to still be planning to either fly or drive down to Florida.
ETA: a lot of rest stops on highways have closed. So have fun driving 20 hours or so with no place to stop or use the bathroom other than a very few truck stops that were petitioned to reopen so truckers have a place to stop.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:12 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
[I]

It may come to that, I wouldn't be surprised. I fully expect to hear about states closing their borders in the next few days.
And, btw, the FL governor has announced new protocol for anybody flying in, they will be tracked. The passengers coming off of planes will be met by air marshalls. Will have temp taken and will need to give personal info taken so their 14 day quarantine can be monitored.
Just an fyi.
I think it is foolish in the extreme to still be planning to either fly or drive down to Florida.
ETA: a lot of rest stops on highways have closed. So have fun driving 20 hours or so with no place to stop or use the bathroom other than a very few truck stops that were petitioned to reopen so truckers have a place to stop.

So truck driver, who are transporting our food (and more importantly toilet) are being punished because people can't listen to the rules.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:16 am
Amarante wrote:

One thing Florida has always been fantastic at, IME, is traffic stops. It's not that hard to find someone with a NY license plate driving through town. Was the order for only people entering through airports though? I'm wondering what they could do to enforce anything if there's no order on drivers from NY to quarantine.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:22 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

I don't think she meant she was making an actual reservation, she just wanted to test the theory that bookings were being cancelled, so she was attempting to see if the site would let her go through the process of making a reservation.

In any case, why are people assuming OP wanted to go to Florida? Now that there's no minyanim anyway in many places, you could (in theory, I'm not necessarily advising this) take a vacation home in randomtown USA, bring all your own stuff and quarantine there for 2 weeks. Don't stick your nose out the door, just as you would do at home. Other people have brought up good points as to why this may not be advisable, but I don't understand why people have to act like it's SUCH a ridiculous question.

I live in NY, many people are living in small quarters with little to no outdoor space. So I can completely understand why someone would be tempted by this idea.

The way people talk on this site, you would think leading doctors have announced sarcasm and outrage are an absolute preventative measure against the virus. Guess what: it's not. You can actually make whatever point you wanted to make in a normal tone, and people might actually me MORE inclined to listen.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:24 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
No. Stay in your own community. do not drive to someone else's and shop in their grocery stores and possibly spread the virus. just stay put.

All these new yorkers still thinking they are gonna rent a airbnb in south florida are crazy. It's terrible and the kosher grocery stores will not admit them ( they are checking id's), and every south florida rav has come out against it.
JUST STAY HOME.

My relative, a very open minded and welcoming chabad mikva lady in S. Florida, just refused service to a woman who came in asking to use the mikva and informed her she was from NY but had recently been in California.
Stay put New Yorkers!!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:32 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My relative, a very open minded and welcoming chabad mikva lady in S. Florida, just refused service to a woman who came in asking to use the mikva and informed her she was from NY but had recently been in California.
Stay put New Yorkers!!

I heard about someone else who came from a highly infected area and was told that she could not use the local mikveh. She could maybe try the freezing lake and bring a friend.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:41 am
The mikvah of Bal Harbor is only taking residents with Florida ids. It is the epitome of selfishness to come here for pesach and possibly infect our community and take away from limited medical resources. Stay home.

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:46 am
groovy1224 wrote:
I don't think she meant she was making an actual reservation, she just wanted to test the theory that bookings were being cancelled, so she was attempting to see if the site would let her go through the process of making a reservation.

Yes, thank you for getting it. Just to be clear, I will NOT be going to Florida with my family for Pesach this year, and the thought literally never crossed my mind. However, when another poster claimed that AirBNB is actively canceling all bookings there, I decided to test it out. I did not receive any notification, and I did not complete the booking and will not be going there. I thought that was self-evident from my earlier posts, but apparently some needed it to be spelled out.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:47 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
what do you mean if her program closes down? How can any programs stay open at this point?
We are intelligent people, lets brainstorm for a minute. How can we help people make pesach at home? can we compile a list of caterers? Is anyone putting together packages for first time pesach makers with supplies and selling them? Are their cleaning services out there that can turn over someones home while taking necessary precautions as not to spread germs. we still have time to help these people!
My mil is nearly seventy and hasnt made pesach in 15 years and lives completely alone but it is simply not safe for her to travel anywhere. she's closing and selling the rooms she isnt using, covering her counters and table and doing some minimal kashering/ getting catering. Yes, it isn't ideal to spend pesach alone but we want her healthy and safe, thats the number one priority here.

I know, I said if. I was going to say when because of course it will if it hasn't already. But I couldn't bring myself to type that four letter word (when) even though of course it will actually be in her best interest as she's 60+, among other reasons. I just hope she'll get the help she'll need where she is.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:50 am
WhatFor wrote:
One thing Florida has always been fantastic at, IME, is traffic stops. It's not that hard to find someone with a NY license plate driving through town. Was the order for only people entering through airports though? I'm wondering what they could do to enforce anything if there's no order on drivers from NY to quarantine.

They will collect info from ppl arriving by plane

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:31 am
OP, I don't think anything will be open.
Even if there is something now, things can change in 2 weeks, and I wouldn't plan something that may change at any moment.
Can you get an empty kosher home, get a cleaning lady to scrub it, and everything catered? that's the closest to a pesach program these days...

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:40 am
WitchKitty wrote:
OP, I don't think anything will be open.
Even if there is something now, things can change in 2 weeks, and I wouldn't plan something that may change at any moment.
Can you get an empty kosher home, get a cleaning lady to scrub it, and everything catered? that's the closest to a pesach program these days...

Before the pandemic, people who went away for Pesach often rented out their homes but how many people are doing that now?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
They will collect info from ppl arriving by plane

Miami Beach is not that difficult to block outsiders from entering, as the access is through causeways. There are times that police check every car coming in and only residents are allowed. I would not be surprised if this was enforced if needed pesach time, as it was recently during college spring break.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics