Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Which is worse...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:00 pm
Getting the virus?
Or the depression, anxiety and other mental health effects from the social isolation?

Everyone is so adamant about staying home, following regulations etc. and I understand where they are coming from. I know why these are in place, and I see the rationales behind it.

But what if the people who are having legit breakdowns from it? Those going crazy to the point of harm? Possibly borderline suicidal not being able to cope with all the changes? And for so many different reasons! Some from being with their kids all day everyday while putting in full days of work. Some from dealing with tougher kids. Others from not getting to see any kids or grandkids who are their reason for living. Men who feel they lost their sense of purpose when they lost their jobs. Elderly who are without family. Those home sick, alone and scared. And so many more scenarios....

We sit here and say nobody should go out, pesach home, isolate yourself, it's for everyone's benefit. But I wonder: which is worse? The virus or the effects of the isolation? And should we be telling those who need the support and need the help because they are breaking to just "follow regulations"?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:04 pm
Honestly right now I’m really concerned for my already precarious mental health and my children’s as well

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:06 pm
I don't think that statistically there is the same risk of loss of life from quarantining/stress as there is from actually getting sick with covid.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:07 pm
Very true. And thats why I don't believe things will go on like this. Once the medical system is strengthened most regulations will be cancelled and schools and businesses will open.

mommy2379

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Getting the virus?
Or the depression, anxiety and other mental health effects from the social isolation?

Everyone is so adamant about staying home, following regulations etc. and I understand where they are coming from. I know why these are in place, and I see the rationales behind it.

But what if the people who are having legit breakdowns from it? Those going crazy to the point of harm? Possibly borderline suicidal not being able to cope with all the changes? And for so many different reasons! Some from being with their kids all day everyday while putting in full days of work. Some from dealing with tougher kids. Others from not getting to see any kids or grandkids who are their reason for living. Men who feel they lost their sense of purpose when they lost their jobs. Elderly who are without family. Those home sick, alone and scared. And so many more scenarios....

We sit here and say nobody should go out, pesach home, isolate yourself, it's for everyone's benefit. But I wonder: which is worse? The virus or the effects of the isolation? And should we be telling those who need the support and need the help because they are breaking to just "follow regulations"?

It's a huge nisayon, no ones pretending this is easy. Facetime or skype is going to have to suffice for those missing loved ones. The economy is taking a massive hit, all of our hearts are breaking for those who have lost jobs. the moms at home with special needs kids- I can't even imagine how they are coping. It's so so so rough. But the only weapon we have right now is distancing ourselves. what more do we have? This is our only power against the disease! and it wont last forever- its temporary and excruciating but temporary.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I don't think that statistically there is the same risk of loss of life from quarantining/stress as there is from actually getting sick with covid.

Obviously not, we're not talking about loss of life but rather loss of sanity, which most people consider equally or more important

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:12 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Obviously not, we're not talking about loss of life but rather loss of sanity, which most people consider equally or more important

Without sanity there is no life.
For those of us with prior trauma this is a living hell
For those of us with special needs children...

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Without sanity there is no life.
For those of us with prior trauma this is a living hell
For those of us with special needs children...

I'm so sorry for what you must be going through Sad I can't even fathom.... Davening for you

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:21 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I'm so sorry for what you must be going through Sad I can't even fathom.... Davening for you

Thanks for the chizzuk.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:26 pm
I think the effect this is having on our sanity and mental health is worse than the virus. Quarantine and lockdown is not sustainable for too long, or they'll have WAY bigger problems to deal with.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:34 pm
I know young fathers and mothers deathly ill with this virus. I think that’s worse than staying home with our families, however difficult that may be.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:48 pm
I think the question needs to be not "which is worse" but "what needs to be done."
What needs to be done for covid is slow the spread while they figure out how to deal medically.
Now, what needs to be done to mitigate the dangers of isolation and stress? How can we on individual, communal, and governmental levels support people who are vulnerable?
The answers may not be coming quickly enough but at least let's make sure people are asking the right questions.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:11 pm
In other words, both are valid opinions.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:23 pm
Thank you for being our voice.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I think the effect this is having on our sanity and mental health is worse than the virus. Quarantine and lockdown is not sustainable for too long, or they'll have WAY bigger problems to deal with.

My husband's friend is in the ICU with double pneumonia. Early 50s. My friend's colleague died. She was in her 30s.

475 deaths in Italy yesterday. 188 dead in New York. And its only started.

No, the effects of isolation are not worse than coronavirus.

If you are facing mental health challenges, contact a professional. You can skype or Facetime a session. You may also be prescribed antidepressants if needed.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 1:36 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
My husband's friend is in the ICU with double pneumonia. Early 50s. My friend's colleague died. She was in her 30s.

475 deaths in Italy yesterday. 188 dead in New York. And its only started.

No, the effects of isolation are not worse than coronavirus.

If you are facing mental health challenges, contact a professional. You can skype or Facetime a session. You may also be prescribed antidepressants if needed.
[u]

I realize most are saying that we are 2-3 weeks away from peak virus in NYC but I can't figure out why. I get that this virus spreads like wildfire which increases the cases exponentially. But at the same time I'm assuming most of the people dying today or starting to feel bad symptoms are people who actually caught the virus AT LEAST 10 days when the situation and attitude was very relaxed.

While there are some exceptions, I think close to 100% of society has made changes with 90% of us making significant changes basically isolating ourselves. Why would this outbreak meaningfully continue in around 3 weeks? Anyone who is showing symptoms in 3 weeks will likely have caught it around now. Where I live, the streets are deserted. Businesses are closed. In the supermarket there's a guy taking everyone's temperature before they enter. Everyone is wearing gloves and keeping distance. I'm not saying that every single person is being super careful, but for there to be an outbreak in 3 weeks? Where will those people have caught it? We're all in quarantine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:11 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I know young fathers and mothers deathly ill with this virus. I think that’s worse than staying home with our families, however difficult that may be.

It's not about the staying home with families. There are those who davka have the opposite: completely alone with no-one. All same issue: It's the toll it takes on the mental health of a person because of it that's the question.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 5:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's not about the staying home with families. There are those who davka have the opposite: completely alone with no-one. All same issue: It's the toll it takes on the mental health of a person because of it that's the question.

Again, I believe the more pertinent question is "how can the mental health of vulnerable people be supported" rather than "is it better to spread illness and death."

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 5:31 pm
More people are going to die from the stress/anxiety/depression than from the actual virus

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 5:45 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
More people are going to die from the stress/anxiety/depression than from the actual virus

Did you read this somewhere? Is there a link?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics