Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Lipa concert
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

bashinda

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 3:00 pm
what I'm annoyed about it is that this was in the hamodia and okay I can somewhat puzzle it out but last I checked I was reading a newspaper in English. Couldn't they have least provided a translation?

As it happens that's the first thing I'd even heard about this.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:28 pm
Quote:
I am sure that anyone who is thinking of going will ask their rav first, so please report back here.

Yeah, right. sure.

Shalhevet, dont hold your breath. Whoever decided that they're going, will not ask!

bigdeal

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:40 pm
I must tell you I am sad sad sad-
I just DONT get it?
the op asked if anyone was going. Not if anyone LIKED or disliked the Concert or performers. Its very sad to me that ppl feel they have the right to just knock. Cant we learn to live and let live?? Its not YOUR job to tell someone if they are making a good choice or bad one. Each person can decide for themselves, and Hashem will handle the rest, not I not you ( unless of course you believe your fellow Jew is sinning- which in that case- DO say something... in a loving way...)
I cant help but wonder- where does the negativity come from- and since when is it Ok to say these things ( which I dont care to repeat ) against your fellow Jews???/
Go... Or Dont go... but give your fellow Jews respect- You know why??/ ( and I am no rebitzin) because they have a tselem elokim. Period. Lets not pass judgements on each other. Im talking about LOOOOOOVE!!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
Lipa is wild, and creates a wild atmosphere. Not at all with a yiddishe taam.

Are you saying that because you attended his concert and you know firsthand?

As far as this kol korei, I would like to know if it and all the signatures are authentic. Why, yet again, is this kol korei made public WEEKS after THOUSANDS of dollars were put into advertising and people have been buying tickets? These concerts are not surprises. Where was this kol korei in advance?

Another thing, why pick on this concert? What about the HASC concert, the Chanuka concerts, the Chol Ha'Moed concerts?

This is a concert that benefits an organization that helps orphans with wedding expenses. Sheya Mendelowitz is producing it, Yisroel Lamm is the musical director, as they have done for many, many concerts, with no bans before.

Is it true that Gertner backed out of performing as the bottom line says?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:11 pm
Happens to be that Lipa is one of the only performers that I know of that will only perform if there is separate seating, thats why he never actually performs at the HASC concert but just send in a video.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:25 pm
Gertner backed out today..........

of his driveway! Very Happy

Squash

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:31 pm
the only concert dh and I go to is Helfgot. yeah I know. whatever. I'm getting old.

BUT re: these kol korei's: they have become so cheap. I KNOW that most of them are not real.

I was on my daily walk with Yentagolda today and we saw fliers all over 14th avenue in the same font/look as the other ones. this one was AGAINST the other fliers!!!

It said that most of the time all these pashkevillen are phony and "macht choizek" (make fun of) the rabbonim whose names get onto it, but in reality have probably never even heard of these papers.

Now, which one is the REAL one? to me it's ALL a bunch of baloney.

Squash

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:35 pm
and let me just add:

the music industry LOVES when this happens. it usually causes whatever is written against to be a blockbuster!!!!!!!

they might have even done it themselves, just for that!!!!

Maya

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote:
I don't either understand what it says, but I know one thing. Many times, and I've heard this from first-hand experience, these Rabbanim don't even know that their signature is on the issur. Whoever types up these things just copies and pastes the names from another paper, and make it seem like a signature from a Rav.

Oh, so a pashkeville without signatures is not worth anything. ok, fine. But a kol korei with a long list of signatures from choshuve rabanim (from the most chaseedish to the most litvish) is not EITHER worth anything?! If you dont want to listen you dont have to, but dont go justifying yourself by saying its probably a false list.
There is good reason for this issur. Lipa is wild, and creates a wild atmosphere. Not at all with a yiddishe taam.

Firstly, I do not attend concerts. I have no interest in them, and I never thought about the halachic/hashakafa part enough to take a side.

All I said was that often, flyers like these are fake. I don't give a darn about this particular one, or most others either, and I will not ask my rav because it doesn't interest me. I"m just pointing out that noone should decide whether to go or not based on this flyer.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 10:07 pm
HELLO!!! Has anyone seen the NEWEST Fliers in Williamsburg???
It's a Flier against the original flier saying something about not using Rebbeim's signatures without their permission.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 10:09 pm
Where are the flyers telling people to disregard the second wave of flyers, but to seriously consider the valid points made by the first wave of flyers? And what about the flyers talking about having a ban on flyers, as they're a royal waste of perfectly good trees?

Squash

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:08 pm
like my husband said "at least copy corner is making money"

Blossom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:34 am
Quote:
ike my husband said "at least copy corner is making money"

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 1:04 am
lipa is controversial. one of the hasc concerts he had the tune from in the jungle. I love his music but chose to keep it out of my house.

bigdeal

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 9:05 am
ladies- before you post your opinions ( especially negative) take a moment to focus. Is it really that important to post your personal opinions on a fellow Jew- whether you like soemones style, or find it in appropriate- Let your actions speak. Attend or dont attend...but really - lets not knock- and remember the ops- question- ARE YOU GOING
its a yes or no answer.....

remember the looooove

FINKEL

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 9:04 pm
I also heard that Gertner backed out
I believe if he did , he must have gotten alot of pressure to do so
I own 2 tickets to the concert at $50 each
I hope if theconcert does get cancelled that I should get my money back.
I was at a Lipas concert last year and it did not have the same atmosphere as a Hasc concert, it was much more wild ...so I do believe the rabonim have a point
but unless the concert is cancelled I still want to go..
I wonder what will be
I might even be in israel that night,

gold21

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 9:18 pm
Lipa is controversial now? Omigosh, you need to loosen up. Not everything in this world is assur..and where is there a halacha that says "Thou shalt not get a little wild at (seperate-seating) concerts"? Assuring every type of fun in this world (other than cooking and learning Torah, what a blast) is not gonna keep more kids on the Derech, nor does it make you a more Torahdik Jew.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 10:10 pm
FINKEL wrote:

I was at a Lipas concert last year and it did not have the same atmosphere as a Hasc concert, it was much more wild

I don't know what you're talking about. I attended Lipa's Chanuka concert and there was nothing wild about it. I did not attend a HASC concert but I heard about the wild Oif Simchas performance one year.

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 10:25 pm
Quote:
Where are the flyers telling people to disregard the second wave of flyers, but to seriously consider the valid points made by the first wave of flyers? And what about the flyers talking about having a ban on flyers, as they're a royal waste of perfectly good trees?

Anyone else want to contribute some words of wisdom to the new recent flier which this time has a source to it in Hilchois Shtus found in Chalom Rolling Eyes

Motek

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 10:47 pm
Another thing that bothers me about the original Kol Korei is since when do we have Kol Koreis from Israel about matters taking place outside of Israel? Can't think of another example.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics