Home

Mikvah turned someone away
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic       Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Periwinkle
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Sure they do. The same way that I then have a right to not patronize stores and restaurants in said community if that community decides that "their" Jews are more worthy than Jews from different states.

What are you saying?
The idea of social distancing is that the less people you meet, the lower the rate of transmission.
I live in Florida. I go to the local mikvah and local kosher store because these are my options.
Jane doe lives in ny. She goes to her local mikvah and local kosher store.
This is called doing our part.
When Jane Doe comes here, she can transmit the virus in a way that never would have happened if she’d stayed home. This defeats the purpose of all the social distancing we are doing.
It has nothing to do with being better. It has to do with being self contained. I am staying home so I meet less people. If I need supplies, I go in and out of the store so I meet less people. If I stay the local, the people I meet are probably in the same situation as me. I do not travel across the country to meet new people.
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:13 pm
SMH. I am really not understanding the outrage here.

I am from neither NY nor Florida, but the Rabbanim in my city requested that people PLEASE not visit, nor have visitors from, another place. It will only serve to continue spreading this dangerous virus to other places. So I'm not spending Pesach with my parents as planned, because I don't want to be the cause of harm to anyone. Did you see the other thread with a woman feeling guilty that she had maybe hurt someone? No one wants that on her head.

No one is saying New Yorkers are disgusting, and no one is prejudiced against people from another place. The mikvah was following guidelines from Rabbanim and from the government, in order to protect vulnerable people. It's the people who think that rules don't apply to them who I just don't understand.
Back to top

amother




Mint
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:14 pm
Everyone stay home listen to the Rabbanim listen to the health guidelines listen to the government and this type of situation shouldn't happen
3 problems I see: 1) traveling not respecting rabbanim, health ministers, and government which can lead to a chillul Hashem
2) Turning a woman down from a mikva, if she is together with her dh without mikva shes chayav kares, that's not something I'd wanna take responsibility for
3) selfish: putting everyone health on the line by not listening, u have a mitzva to take care of ure health and a responsibility to not cause anyone around u to get sick, so by vacationing when ur supposed to be in quarantine or lockdown or home is simply not considerate to those around u!
To sum it all up stay home stay safe dont be the reason someone gets sick, u dont wanna shed someone else blood so listen to rabbanim health guidelines and government!
May we all be zoche to stay healthy, those sock should have a speedy and complete recovery and refuah shelaima and may we all be zoche to Moshiach bkarav bmheira vyameinu, Amen!
Back to top

amother




Ecru
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
As I stated previously, I have no problem with a Mikvah turning people away. I have a problem with imamother's who speak nastily about those from NY and NJ. Trust me, posting something mean on imamother won't convince those who decided to go to FL from going. What it might do, and already has done for me, is to reconsider going there and supporting their institutions.


Would you want someone arriving from Italy using your mikvah?
Does that mean we are speaking I’ll of Italy?
It just means we are being realistic of
the facts.

I live in Lakewood. I know multiple infected ppl. I know ppl who have died. Everyone I know knows someone who is sick.
When I went to the Mikva last night there was a good chance I was already exposed.

My friend in Florida doesn’t know a single sick person.
When my friend in FL goes to the mikvah there is very little chance she was already exposed.

That says a lot.
Back to top

amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:26 pm
The rabbonim in each community are the ones setting guidelines for their community who can use the mikvah

It's not up to the discretion of the mikva lady. If she lets in whoever she decides to let in, she's the one who's in violation of halacha.

Imagine you ask your rav a shaila and he says you're not allowed to use the mikva tonight. How is this any different?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:26 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Everyone stay home listen to the Rabbanim listen to the health guidelines listen to the government and this type of situation shouldn't happen
3 problems I see: 1) traveling not respecting rabbanim, health ministers, and government which can lead to a chillul Hashem
2) Turning a woman down from a mikva, if she is together with her dh without mikva shes chayav kares, that's not something I'd wanna take responsibility for
3) selfish: putting everyone health on the line by not listening, u have a mitzva to take care of ure health and a responsibility to not cause anyone around u to get sick, so by vacationing when ur supposed to be in quarantine or lockdown or home is simply not considerate to those around u!
To sum it all up stay home stay safe dont be the reason someone gets sick, u dont wanna shed someone else blood so listen to rabbanim health guidelines and government!
May we all be zoche to stay healthy, those sock should have a speedy and complete recovery and refuah shelaima and may we all be zoche to Moshiach bkarav bmheira vyameinu, Amen!


#2 was not a problem
What if I needed to tell her not to come because the mikvah had a problem that made it not kosher.
I made sure the lady had another option to go to
I really don’t see it as preventing her to do the mitzvah
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
#2 was not a problem
What if I needed to tell her not to come because the mikvah had a problem that made it not kosher.
I made sure the lady had another option to go to
I really don’t see it as preventing her to do the mitzvah


If you were following the psak of a Rav, it is no longer your responsibility regardless.
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
#2 was not a problem
What if I needed to tell her not to come because the mikvah had a problem that made it not kosher.
I made sure the lady had another option to go to
I really don’t see it as preventing her to do the mitzvah


Okay but if infections spike in FL in the summer since they are a few weeks/months behind NY, then I'm sure the NY'ers won't want the FL kids in camp with their kids. And the FL's will be upset about it.
Back to top

Librarian




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:29 pm
tweety1 wrote:
It sounds like you came on here to get justification for what you did. Unfortunately it sounds like youre getting it from some. Mikvah is just not one of those things I'd play around. If you did something that made the woman not being able to dip--hashem sees it. You don't have to answer to nobody but hashem! Doesn't matter if you found her another place, even if you would've driven her there, the fact of the matter is, that you played a role in her not dipping and thats something I'd never want on my shoulders. You can make and give all the excuses you want ultimately hashem saw what you did.


Some years ago I had to go to the mikvah on a motzei yom tov in a different community from the one I lived in. I was turned away by the mikvah because I only had a check to pay with and they only accepted cash. At least OP has a much better excuse.


Last edited by Librarian on Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
If you were following the psak of a Rav, it is no longer your responsibility regardless.


Yes psak of a group of Rabbonim that make up the vad
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:34 pm
Librarian wrote:
Some years ago I had to go to the mikvah on a motzei yom tov in a different community than the one I lived in. I was turned away by the mikvah because I only had a check to pay with and they only accepted cash. At least OP has a much better excuse.


Believe me we would never turn someone away for non payment
Also- if it wasnt for this virus EVERYONE is more than welcome to come

I only turned away 1 other person ever. A Goya came because she was told by her Jewish boy friend that it was a beautiful spiritual experience. I gently told her that it was for married women ONLY and that she should talk to the Rabbi that was going to “convert” her
I even gave her a tour of the Mikvah.
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:35 pm
Op .I didn’t read all the pages
But I’m curious what are you trying to achieve by publicizing this ?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Op .I didn’t read all the pages
But I’m curious what are you trying to achieve by publicizing this ?


To please be aware that this is no joke.
It is a serious pandemic
And ppl should not travel to other towns at the moment
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:45 pm
Has everyone hear forgotten that florida has a majority of retirees? You know those who are the most vulnerable ?
Back to top

amother




Pearl
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:47 pm
There were a few families who flew in weeks ago and stayed. I would think that would make a difference in the decision.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here
The Lady wasn’t physically in the Mikvah
She called to ask what time the mikvah was open.


If you had mentioned this in your OP you would have gotten more validating responses. Until reading this post I though of you as a mean angry ML. This changed the story. Please give whole stories when posting warning scary posts.
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
There were a few families who flew in weeks ago and stayed. I would think that would make a difference in the decision.


Not when everyone who lives north of the Mason-Dixon is tamei
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Believe me we would never turn someone away for non payment
Also- if it wasnt for this virus EVERYONE is more than welcome to come

I only turned away 1 other person ever. A Goya came because she was told by her Jewish boy friend that it was a beautiful spiritual experience. I gently told her that it was for married women ONLY and that she should talk to the Rabbi that was going to “convert” her
I even gave her a tour of the Mikvah.


I'd actually love to know which Mikvah you directed her to that is still taking NY'ers so that if I ever do find myself in FL after this crisis I can know to go and patronize that Mikvah and not yours.
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:59 pm
If that's your thinking, you better research all the kosher stores and restaurants that refused to sell to visitors from out of town. Because there are quite a few. You may not be able to purchase food at all except for grocery chain stores. No take out, either.
Back to top

amother




Forestgreen
 

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:00 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
If that's your thinking, you better research all the kosher stores and restaurants that refused to sell to visitors from out of town. Because there are quite a few.


Sure, get me a list. I'd love to know where not to send my dollars.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 7 of 10 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic       Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Can someone clue me in? WHAT CHANGED???
by amother
112 Wed, May 27 2020, 1:49 am View last post
Gift for someone with 12 kids :) 22 Tue, May 26 2020, 11:53 pm View last post
Does anyone have backyard toys to sell or give away?
by naomi2
6 Mon, May 25 2020, 4:01 pm View last post
Cancel sleep away camp and get full refund?
by amother
5 Mon, May 25 2020, 2:10 pm View last post
Going away for shavuos
by amother
25 Sun, May 24 2020, 10:44 am View last post

Jump to: