Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Dd may have corona- room hasn't been cleaned for Pesach

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:46 pm
And it's a pigsty. It has been since she got home from seminary in June. She has been I "meaning" to clean it up for ages and hasn't. We were supposed to be by my parents for chag so she didn't feel the pressure. Then she kind of started but still had college remotely, and planned to really work as classes ended. Then she got sick. She can't clean it herself, and I can't go in and do it for her. And there is definitely real food in there- she takes it in to study and work all the time, and stray things get buried in the mess. And she is the type to leave a granola bar on her end table and accidentally knock it into a drawer- we find food there every year that we clean.

Now what?

flmommy

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:48 pm
I would ask your Rabbi. Hopefully before Pesach she will feel well enough to clean up any real chometz. That’s a crazy thing to have to deal with!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:32 am
And if it can't be done, perhaps this year (b'shaas d'chuk) you can rely on mechiras chometz?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:36 am
Wear gloves and go clean it. The place needs to be disinfected anyway. Your family- so I’d imagine you can catch it either way. Good luck and stay safe!

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:46 am
Don't go in there !!!
It is extremely contagious !!
Ask a Sheila

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:52 am
If there's a chance that you and the rest of your family haven't already been infected, don't go in there. You are most contagious early in the disease and before you show symptoms. Your daughter can put large pieces of chometz like granola bars in a trash can in her room and pour some bleach over it — this will make the chometz no longer edible and will no longer be considered chometz. The rest will be annulled with bitul chometz.

Our DS#2 is in quarantine with coronavirus in our home. We immediately isolated him in our guest room (with adjacent bathroom) when he came home from Lakewood 2 weeks ago and he came down with coronavirus symptoms a few days later. I leave his meals outside the door using disposable dishes and cups only. DH and I have not gotten sick (or at least not yet).

rachel6543

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:52 am
I’m sorry, but you have your priorities all wrong. Your daughter’s & your family’s health should come first before worrying about if there’s some chometz in her bedroom.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:30 am
Please call your Rav.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:18 pm
There’s still almost a week till pesach. Hopefully she’ll feel better within a few days so she can at least move things from one side of the rm to the other & dig out the chametz.
Refuah sheleims

teachkids

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:21 pm
There’s still another whole week. Leave her a garbage bag and hopefully there will be 1 hour one day where she can sort through and throw out all the chometz mamish in there. That’s what is assur to own no matter what. Don’t worry about dirt and dust

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:23 pm
Just sell her along with the room Very Happy

Ora in town

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:33 pm
Quote:
Now what?

You say kol chamira, and it ceases to exist. Just you should remember not to eat it after pessach...

So perhaps it's better to sell it, then you don't have this problem...

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:37 pm
If you sell the room, I believe that you need to tape it shut and mark that its sold so she will need to sleep somewhere else for the week. Do you have an extra bedroom? Post pesach you should talk to her because its an easy way to get bugs and roaches if she does not throw out food periodically.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:41 pm
Thanks, all. Will definitely call the rav. We can't go in there, especially to move things around. Will check on whether to sell or batel. Whatever is there is buried and can't be easily accessed. I would love for her to be feeling better by next week and will take all of your hopefully's" as brachos.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 4:45 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Just sell her along with the room Very Happy
Rolling Laughter

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:02 pm
You can probably tape shut any drawers or closets and sell them. You are mevatel the chometz in Kol Chamira.

If you find accessible chometz in there on Pesach, you will need to burn it.

The bigger question is probably about doing Bedikas Chometz in that room - cleaning for Pesach is not a mitzvah, it's a hechsher mitzvah - it helps with Bedikas Chometz.

Curious what the Rov will say.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics