Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you think anything will change? After this is over....
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:44 pm
When all this is over will anything change?

I'll start with mine;

Nothing will change.
People will be jobless. Many businesses will close. New businesses will open. Some jobless people will find jobs again.

Regular aliyas and yeridas of the world.

Other than this- nothing will change.

What's your opinion?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:52 pm
No. Nothing will change. Unfortunately. But Hashem created man to be like this because we would not be able to function otherwise.( for better or worse)

ora_43

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:57 pm
I think there will be a lot of low-level changes. Things we don't notice in daily life but that do have an effect.

I think people will be less into minimalism, after seeing how helpful it can be to have stuff in an emergency, even random stuff like old puzzles and scraps of fabric and extra q-tips.

I think cruise ships will be less popular than ever.

I think authoritarianism might gain a certain degree of respect.

I think there will be more enthusiasm about 3D printers.

I think we'll see a few years of increased appreciation for professions involving medical care or the food supply.

I think that without serious intervention, there will be long-term effects on income inequality.

I think the American healthcare system (with its millions of uninsured) will look worse than ever.

In the frum world, I think there may be a shift in how people view psakim, after seeing some of what went on during the first days of the virus (in Israel, at least).

But most of it will be too subtle to notice day to day. More of a little effect here and there. A 10% increase in a politician's popularity here, a 5% decrease in sales there.

OK, one noticeable thing - I think that for a while there will be less tolerance for people who go around in public with symptoms of illness. For the good and bad (stinks for all of the allergy sufferers who will get glares for a month straight every year).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:00 pm
I agree with your last statement ora. All the other changes that you wrote about will last for as long as... cheaper weddings will last.

And first amother I appreciate what you wrote.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:06 pm
All jobs that could be done via zoom will be changed. Less brick and mortar, more tele services. Everything from business, accounting, to mental health care will have a growing percentage offshored or moved to a cheaper workforce.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:15 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
All jobs that could be done via zoom will be changed. Less brick and mortar, more tele services. Everything from business, accounting, to mental health care will have a growing percentage offshored or moved to a cheaper workforce.

Maybe a small percentage.

Other than that, most business owners hate the Zoom thing and for most employees it's hard to focus with the children around.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 12:59 am
Our mental health is gonna be damaged, but at least everyone will be in the same boat Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:01 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Our mental health is gonna be damaged, but at least everyone will be in the same boat Very Happy

Let's make ourselves a 'siman' that we once belonged to the 'normal society'.

Wink

tryinghard

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:04 am
I’m really hoping the Zoom thing sticks around to some extent - one of my children takes certain medications that require monitoring and intermittent evaluations. For various reasons it can be difficult to schedule these appointments, but having them on Zoom has been so nice! Obviously most doctor appointments still are better in person, but for consultations, I love it!

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:12 am
I was just discussing this with DH yesterday. We both agreed that if we don't come out of this having changed something in our own lives then we've missed the boat completely.

What I feel is a firm resolve to simplify the simchas we will make. We will be be"h making a bar mitzva in a few months and have older teenage daughters so weddings aren't far off and I KNOW that we will do things differently. Even if no one else does. We will change.

What DH said he feels is that he wants to prioritize spending more time with the kids even after this is over. One on one time. He's been taking walks with them etc.. and wants to make a point to continue these type of things.

I think the only way things will really change if is individuals decide to make those changes and really implement them. Otherwise things may go right back to how they were before.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:16 am
Making chasuna will definitely change.
I've spent the past year collecting for 3 family weddings. Not anymore. Everyone has seen that couples can get married for much less and I don't think people will be as ready to give anymore or to collect. So it's going to have to change.

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree with your last statement ora. All the other changes that you wrote about will last for as long as... cheaper weddings will last.

And first amother I appreciate what you wrote.

I think the changes that people want to make, the ones that involve deliberate changes in behavior (cheaper weddings, more investment in healthcare, more intentional living, etc) are the ones that in general tend not to last.

Although some people do manage to make them last. And there is usually at least more preparedness for the exact same type of disaster (like how Israel is now ready to fight the Second Lebanon War).

But changes in mindset are inevitable. Even if people don't even remember why it is that they are a little more anxious about travel, or why they put toilet paper on the grocery list when they still have one full package at home.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:28 am
The expensive chasunos will change simply bc many ppl will poshut not be able to afford it anymore Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:30 am
Mama Bear wrote:
The expensive chasunos will change simply bc many ppl will poshut not be able to afford it anymore Very Happy

Uhoh...
Ain't happening before moshiach comes.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:33 am
I think people will rethink their love affair with globalism. I think countries will attempt to be more independent (at least for critical commodities).

I think people will be even less trusting of media and politicians.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 1:34 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Making chasuna will definitely change.
I've spent the past year collecting for 3 family weddings. Not anymore. Everyone has seen that couples can get married for much less and I don't think people will be as ready to give anymore or to collect. So it's going to have to change.

Maybe I'm just a naive out of towner...But I was honestly shocked at the price tag of some of the weddings featured in the mishpacha article. A wedding for 90k+ made by people who live paycheck to paycheck yet refused to go in debt to marry off their children? Can I assume they got the money by collecting it then??? How crazy and sad.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:09 am
yes -- so much will change. Hopefully only for the revealed good IY"H.

Yes -- Moshiach will be here IY"H.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:28 am
I think governments will not give up their access to citizens' mobile phone data and it will used to surveil citizens long after this is over. Similar to the losses in privacy that came with the Patriot Act following 9/11.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 8:00 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Maybe I'm just a naive out of towner...But I was honestly shocked at the price tag of some of the weddings featured in the mishpacha article. A wedding for 90k+ made by people who live paycheck to paycheck yet refused to go in debt to marry off their children? Can I assume they got the money by collecting it then??? How crazy and sad.

Same. If those people are honestly living paycheck to paycheck, those must be some massive checks! There is no possible way for them to have come up with this money if they live this way and as indicated in the article have no savings. And if thats TRULY the case, there would be no money available to spend that kind of money. That women said she bought her son 2 streimals (6k!!!). I cant imagine why that would be necessary. And she also picked that time to splurge on a diamond bracelet for herself (3k) and a new streimal for her husband (2k). And she spent $13,940 on jewelry for the kallah. This couple got 18k worth of dining and bedroom furniture. My mind can not fathom what that would even look like. And in an apartment yet! Shame on Mishpacha for publishing that.

I call bologna on this “reporting”.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Apr 13 2020, 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 8:06 am
DrMom wrote:
I think governments will not give up their access to citizens' mobile phone data and it will used to surveil citizens long after this is over. Similar to the losses in privacy that came with the Patriot Act following 9/11.

I disagree.

But regardless, why are you okay with Google, Facebook, and other internet giants having surveillance and tracking info on you thanks to your mobile phone, but not okay with your government having it?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics