Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Teach me cheapest lawn care

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:03 pm
We purchased a 1/2 acre property in the fall. So far we had to have the trees around the house trimmed ($800) because they were scratching against the house and we had the lawn cleaned out ($300). I want to spend the least amount of money as possible on the lawn. There are shrubs around the house but mostly just grass.

What is the cheapest way to handle the property so that it just looks normal ie not overgrown or dead grass.
My husband wants to but a $1,200 tractor and some tools which he says is an investment we will make our money back in no time. Just lawn care for the season would be 6k.
We are doing a zero dollar budget (working through Dave Ramsey's baby steps we are mid way through having emergency fund) and don't have lawn care factored in. What would you do?

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:20 pm
I can't comment about the $1,200 tractor, as I don't know tractor prices, but there is no question that mowing your own lawn is the cheapest way to go.'

Do some research online to see what is the normal amount of acerage to need a tractor vs a regular mower vs a self propelling mower.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:29 pm
If indeed cheaper to do it yourself then we would definitely want that. Are there places you can get this stuff for cheaper. We have no clue where to buy? Lowes? Amazon?

lilies

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:36 pm
Maybe some gravel and mulch?
Why a tractor though?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:38 pm
How many times a year do you need to cut the grass
Check how much it would cost to rent the tractor for the day
It may be cheaper and you don’t need to store it or maintain
Usually the one you rental is commercial grade

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:39 pm
We definitely want grass but I don't need picture perfect. I just need semi normal. Not overgrown and not dead.

My husband says the size of the lot will make it impossible with a push mower. He needs a tractor. But I wonder if we will spend all this money for tools may as well have someone else do it?

My main priority is cheap, second is semi normal.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We definitely want grass but I don't need picture perfect. I just need semi normal. Not overgrown and not dead.

My husband says the size of the lot will make it impossible with a push mower. He needs a tractor. But I wonder if we will spend all this money for tools may as well have someone else do it?

My main priority is cheap, second is semi normal.

Rental may be the way to go
That way sometimes you do it yourself and sometimes you get a proffesional

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:53 pm
It's definitely cheaper to diy. Our yard is smaller so we bought an electric (rechargeable battery) mower for about 400 online and it has served us well. Maybe look online to see if you really need a tractor for that size? I think buying a mower will pay off as long as you use it. For smaller tree trimming, you can get a pole saw/hedge trimmer, some clippers, etc. And you don't need to buy it all at once--add something each season.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 2:59 pm
I also own a rechargeable battery mower. Easier than fussing with gas, and no cord to accidentally cut.

Mine was about $400 at home depot, an EGO brand. The self propelled one was about $100 more but it was also heavier, so since I am the one using it and my lawn is not nearly 1/2 acre, I went with the non-self propelled.

I like buying from a local store like home depot that if there was a problem I wouldn't have to box it up perfectly to send such a big thing back to some place like Amazon.

It's hard to envision your 1/2 acre, because if there are a bunch of trees, well there is then correspondingly less grass to mow.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 3:51 pm
We have a gas mower. And it's the best.

He wants a tractor or just a ride on mower? Is the land completely flat or is there an incline? These things will affect the kind of equipment you need.

Initially it's expensive equipment. But im the long run cheaper. Keep in mind though that these landscaping companies don't just mow your lawn. They clean leaves in the fall. (Are you buying ableaf blower? We get tickets if we don't clean our leaves)

Some even plow your driveway in the winter ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics