Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Bungalow colonies, sleepaway camp - updates
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:56 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
In Flatbush and Boro Park Brooklyn many kids are out playing with each other. Has been going on for weeks now and the cops are not stopping it so its not illegal. The kids may as well go to camp and play with each other there.

What about all the older year around residents up there
Are any of you thinking

Or is this just more entitlement

mamma llama

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:00 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
What about all the older year around residents up there
Are any of you thinking

Or is this just more entitlement

Also, kids fly in from different states (and countries) to go to camp, so one infected person can chas v'shalom spread it globally all over again.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:05 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
In Flatbush and Boro Park Brooklyn many kids are out playing with each other. Has been going on for weeks now and the cops are not stopping it so its not illegal. The kids may as well go to camp and play with each other there.

I live in Flatbush. My kids have not played with anyone in over 5 weeks. All my neighbors are also extremely strict about SD. I have no idea where you are getting your information. The only contact they had with other people was when their cousins walked over from the next block on yom tov, wearing masks and gloves, and stood outside and waved to the windows.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:17 pm
I heard the permits were granted. However, don't get too excited because that can change just like the situation day to day. If things get worse cv''s they'd just not permit it at a later date.

asmileaday

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:25 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I heard the permits were granted. However, don't get too excited because that can change just like the situation day to day. If things get worse cv''s they'd just not permit it at a later date.

Ooh I wish that's accurate! My kids are looking forward to camp and we've already been charged a big chunk of it. A few weeks ago when I asked them about refunding if they don't open they said they will, but you know it's easier to charge money than to give back and I don't have anything in writing from them.
I really hope they get to open.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:50 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I work at a summer camp. We are definitely currently going full steam ahead preparing for camp so it’s unlikely that we won’t be ready to start if/when we’re allowed to. My guess is that there’s a 50/50 chance of opening, although it would not necessarily be the original scheduled opening date.

There’s no way in the world any camp wants to take responsibility for children on ventilators at camp. BH kids don’t usually reach that point (of needing a ventilator) with coronavirus and if they did, they’d send them to a hospital somewhere, setting up a hospital in camp is not a realistic expectation.

End of the day... it’s really too early to know what will happen with summer camps this season.

Even mildly ill children end up in the camp infirmary and fever, cough, wheezing, diarrhea, etc are reasons that children are admitted to the camp infirmary. Local parents can pick up the sick child and take care of her at home but as was pointed out, some children are from other states and countries. A very contagious disease can overwhelm the infirmary staff with feverish coughing children and they can't decide on their own that the problem is minor. Usually a doctor needs to see the child. Corona virus, like measles, usually doesn't kill children but it can make them really sick.

My grandchildren are really hoping that camp happens and I just hope that camps are extra vigilant this year, both in regards to hygiene and observing children for symptoms.

DVOM

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:09 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Boys is obligatory, girls is optional.

Really? That's so confusing. I've never heard of mandatory summer camp. Fo you mean those 'yeshiva camps' where a whole yeshiva moves to an upstate campus for a month?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:16 am
DVOM wrote:
Really? That's so confusing. I've never heard of mandatory summer camp. Fo you mean those 'yeshiva camps' where a whole yeshiva moves to an upstate campus for a month?

Yes. All the boys camps I know of literally "close shop" and relocate to camp. There's no cheder or yeshiva for those boys so parents are kind of forced into an added expense.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:17 am
It's amazing how all those posters crying they can't afford tuition now are suddenly hoping for camp.

giselle

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It's amazing how all those posters crying they can't afford tuition now are suddenly hoping for camp.

How do you know it’s the same posters?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:30 pm
2 separate issues here, one old and one new.
Firstly, the way that we influence the daily life (shopping , traffic etc, ) of year- round residents of Sullivan County. Secondly, the health risks of corona.
For the first issue, there’s always room for improvement in taking care to respect those residents and their lifestyles and sensitivities.
For the second one, only G-d knows. No one here is a prophetess. We gotta just each do our part to keep ourselves and others healthy.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:

Permits to do work on premises were given nothing more

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Permits to do work on premises were given nothing more

Actual permits for camps to open aren’t typically granted until a couple of days before camp begins.

As long as they’re allowing water to be turned on and the necessary construction and maintenance to be done (which so far they are), they are on track to open. Obviously no one knows now where we’ll be in late June...

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Actual permits for camps to open aren’t typically granted until a couple of days before camp begins.

As long as they’re allowing water to be turned on and the necessary construction and maintenance to be done (which so far they are), they are on track to open. Obviously no one knows now where we’ll be in late June...

By June 1st they expect to know for sure what will be. Let’s hope all resumes to normal!

cookiewriter

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 3:54 pm
Heard from a reliable source
Sleepaway will open.
They will swab each kid first.
No one will be allowed in or out of camp. No visiting day. (Yay!)
Have no idea about day camps upstate. My bungalow will be open (it’s private homes) but no idea if the state will allow pools or day camps. Ugh. Hot swampy humidity
Shoot me now

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 3:56 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Sleepaway will open.
Have no idea about day camps upstate. My bungalow will be open (it’s private homes) but no idea if the state will allow pools or day camps. Ugh. Hot swampy humidity
Shoot me now

Are they having two trips of 4 weeks each?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 4:02 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Sleepaway will open.
Shoot me now

How are they possibly getting enough tests for everyone?
Aren't there a shortage of tests?

chestnut

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 4:06 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Sleepaway will open.
Shoot me now

It's much better and cooler to be upstate than in the city.
Any news about city day camps?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 4:14 pm
There are no reliable sources since no one knows! My husband is a manager in a camp and they don’t know nada it’s all assumptions!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 4:16 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Sleepaway will open.
Shoot me now

Does the source work for the Department of Health? Or somewhere else that would really be in the know? My source at the DOH says as of now we can open but... really nothing for certain yet (as I’ve been saying all along). If there’s an official decision that camps will be opening I’d love to see it because as far as I know that decision has not been made (one way or another). All camps are hoping they’ll open and are planning as if they’ll open (by necessity, it’s the only way they’ll be ready on time) but there are still no guarantees.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics