Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Exciting projects or experiments

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:20 pm
I am thinking of doing a few simple projects or science experiments every week with my kids. They are young- 8 and under. Can anyone point me to some good resources with topics or themes and projects or experiments to match. (Example- learning about volacanoes and doing an experiment showing how to make your own volcano). I'd like to use simple materials too.
Also do you have any ideas of good educational videos I can show my kids?
Thank you!!

cbg

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:26 pm
Turn a white flower a different color by putting it in water with food coloring to show how the vascular system works against gravity, how a plant gets water to the top and how our body pumps the blood back to the heart

Number an egg carton 1-12 put a wet cotton ball in each part
Put a bean on top of each cotton ball
Check and log (written, photo, draw) what happens each day how a bean goes from seed to seedling

Last edited by cbg on Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:27 pm
cbg wrote:
Turn a white flower a different color by putting it in water with food coloring to show how the vascular system works against gravity, how a plant gets water to the top

Check and log (written, photo, draw) what happens each day how a bean goes from seed to seedling

very cool, thank you! great ideas.

cbg

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:30 pm
If I think of more I’ll post

SingALong

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:35 pm
Volcano: I once put 2 Bundt pans stacked, top one was smaller so looked like a volcano. I placed a plastic cup deep into the hole. Took my kids to the driveway, we poured in baking soda and red food coloring. Then poured in vinegar. Tada! It bubbled up and came out like lava. Hope to do it this week...
I also want to plant vegetable seeds with my kids this wee...hope my dh can get to the store for supplies...it’s ongoing needs daily maintenance and patience.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:36 pm
SingALong wrote:
Volcano: I once put 2 Bundt pans stacked, top one was smaller so looked like a volcano. I placed a plastic cup deep into the hole. Took my kids to the driveway, we poured in baking soda and red food coloring. Then poured in vinegar. Tada! It bubbled up and came out like lava. Hope to do it this week...
I also want to plant vegetable seeds with my kids this wee...hope my dh can get to the store for supplies...it’s ongoing needs daily maintenance and patience.

this is great-thanks!

cbg

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:38 pm
What happens when we put dirty old pennies (from the pushka) into vinegar

Also for math you can sort the coins and count the money

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:39 pm
You can make a "tornado" by filling a mason jar 3/4 full of water and adding a few drops of dish washing liquid. Shake it up and a funnel will appear

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:47 pm
cbg wrote:
Turn a white flower a different color by putting it in water with food coloring to show how the vascular system works against gravity, how a plant gets water to the top and how our body pumps the blood back to the heart

Thanks I'm going to do the second with my 4 year old.

cbg

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:49 pm
If you let the beans grow stringbeans will eventually grow
First little flowers come out and then stringbeans

If you take a potato, carrot, onion, garlic, avocado seed and put it 1/2 in water it will start growing

You can start a garden from seed

Last edited by cbg on Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boca00

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:50 pm
My kids love science experiments. I'm excited to try the bean experiment, thanks!

We made a lava lamp, baking soda and vinegar, cleaned pennies with vinegar, and poked pencils through a ziploc filled with water so far.

I bought them kids science experiment books and once we get more materials we are looking forward to testing them out.

dankbar

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:55 pm
Happy One had links to more experiments in the chol hamoad thread

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am thinking of doing a few simple projects or science experiments every week with my kids. They are young- 8 and under. Can anyone point me to some good resources with topics or themes and projects or experiments to match. (Example- learning about volacanoes and doing an experiment showing how to make your own volcano). I'd like to use simple materials too.
Also do you have any ideas of good educational videos I can show my kids?
Thank you!!

https://www.edmundoptics.com/c.....logs/

L25

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 10:13 pm
we bought this book. https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1
did two experiments so far. kids enjoyed.

advocate

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:04 pm
https://sciencing.com/make-dis......html

I remember my father showing me how to do this, and easing the egg into a jar which it seemingly was too small....

Have fun!

(Don't forget rock candy, and writing with invisible lemon juice and then making it appear!)

advocate

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:27 pm
https://sciencing.com/make-dis......html

I remember my father showing me how to do this, and easing the egg into a jar which it seemingly was too small....

Have fun!

(Don't forget rock candy, and writing with invisible lemon juice and then making it appear!)

Sarah S

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:13 am
Mix oil and coloring, pour it into a cup if water after a few seconds the coloring beads will start resending into the water, coloring the water
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling