Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
OOT modern orthodox community?!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
oh wow!! OK so should I just google houses southfield indiana?? or is there a better way to find available houses ..I am interested in looking at some houses online and I"ll check out the school website too

thanks!!

Southfield MICHIGAN lol. But yes, you can check on Zillow. Make sure they are within walking distance to Young Israel of Southfield.

If you’re really interested I can put you in touch with our excellent realtor and some people I know there that can give you some great information.

We actually found our house through word of mouth so it’s easier sometimes to talk to a realtor or person directly. A lot of times the houses don’t show up on Zillow or are sold within days.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:31 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Southfield MICHIGAN lol. But yes, you can check on Zillow. Make sure they are within walking distance to Young Israel of Southfield.

If you’re really interested I can put you in touch with our excellent realtor and some people I know there that can give you some great information.

We actually found our house through word of mouth so it’s easier sometimes to talk to a realtor or person directly. A lot of times the houses don’t show up on Zillow or are sold within days.

haha! OK yes helpful for me to know where im looking first LOL!! Thanks!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:36 am
Scranton has a new school contact beth shalom synagogue

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

You can also check out Young Israel of Oak Park neighborhood. The shul provides nice incentives to new members, plus some help with moving. The YI of Southfield area is a bit farther out from the main "Detroit" community, but nice too!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
You can also check out Young Israel of Oak Park neighborhood. The shul provides nice incentives to new members, plus some help with moving. The YI of Southfield area is a bit farther out from the main "Detroit" community, but nice too!

Both communities are wonderful, but the OP specified she’s a pants-wearing MO woman so Southfield might be a better fit.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Scranton has a new school contact beth shalom synagogue

There are a few families trying to grow an MO community in Scranton. This past year they started Beth Shalom Academy and have been advertising for MO to come check out the school and the community.

If you want numbers tocall, let me know and I will get them for you.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone lived or know about Tennessee? Or colorado? A friend mentioned those but without much details

I have not been to either place, but have heard good things about both Memphis and Denver. You would probably be interested in the East Side section of Denver.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:39 am
Cincinnati, Baltimore, and Seattle.

Portland Oregon is smallish, but growing fast. There is an extremely active Chabad and kollel there.

Seattle is a wonderful, warm community with both Sephardic and Ashkenazic shuls. The housing is expensive, but the schools are excellent, and reasonable.

I haven't been to Cincinnati, but I know Rabbi Cenderovic and he is a mentch.

I haven't been to Baltimore, but I know tons of people from there, and they all speak very well of their community.

That said, if you can, come to Israel! Schools are very affordable, health care is excellent, and there is no such thing as a stranger here. We are all family (for better or worse. Sometimes we fight, but we all tend to love each other in the end.)

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone lived or know about Tennessee? Or colorado? A friend mentioned those but without much details

The Jewish communities in TN are quite small and probably not your best bet unless your have a specific work or family-related reason to go there. The east side community in Denver (there are 3 Jewish neighborhoods in Denver, the east is the MO one) is definitely worth looking into.

moonstone

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
If the job is truly portable, why not Israel? Housing will be expensive, but you'll save on tuition.

I'm saying this nicely, not trying to be mean, but she didn't ask about Israel. I don't think people should push Israel when the person clearly asked about oot, not aliyah. Again, I don't mean to pick on you, but I see this a lot here,and I just don't think it's helpful.

ETA: I just saw the other thread about aliyah, and for the record, I am not amother plum! 😂

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:48 am
doctorima wrote:
The Jewish communities in TN are quite small and probably not your best bet unless your have a specific work or family-related reason to go there. The east side community in Denver (there are 3 Jewish neighborhoods in Denver, the east is the MO one) is definitely worth looking into.

OK yeah I mean too small wouldnt work for us at this point..so that's good to know thanks!!!

Do you know the shul names in colorado that you mention is the east?

thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:49 am
shanie5 wrote:
There are a few families trying to grow an MO community in Scranton. This past year they started Beth Shalom Academy and have been advertising for MO to come check out the school and the community.

If you want numbers tocall, let me know and I will get them for you.

interesting sounds like it may be too small..if it's just starting up..but I'll check it out anyways thanks!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:54 am
moonstone wrote:
I'm saying this nicely, not trying to be mean, but she didn't ask about Israel. I don't think people should push Israel when the person clearly asked about oot, not aliyah. Again, I don't mean to pick on you, but I see this a lot here,and I just don't think it's helpful.

ETA: I just saw the other thread about aliyah, and for the record, I am not amother plum! 😂

I don't feel picked on - I initially suggested Houston, but then I thought about it and said, hey, why not mention Israel. And it turns out the op had considered it too. I think it's right to keep Israel as an option when possible. Even if it's not going to work here for this person, you never know.

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK yeah I mean too small wouldnt work for us at this point..so that's good to know thanks!!!

Do you know the shul names in colorado that you mention is the east?

thanks!

EDOS is one of the main MO shuls in that area that would be a good place to begin your research.

Here's a great page on their website with links to other community websites, including schooling options: https://www.edosdenver.org/Resources.html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:17 pm
There is no Rabbi Cenderovic in Cincinnati.
I can't see it being the right fit for OP.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:30 pm
So guys here’s my question to you all who maybe live away from family.. do you regret it??

I am from the east coast my whole family is here. I am thinking about a nice warm close knit community which is not what we had here. But not sure it will be worth it to be away from family. Such a huge thing not being near aunts uncles cousins and grandparents. I mean pros and cons I guess since being near family an be hard at times too. But overall it’s a big value to me and wondering how you guys who might live away from family feel about it

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:46 pm
cincinnati's MO community is trying to recruit but I wouldn't recommend it to op. There's no MO school options. You either have to be willing to send more to the right or more to the left ( to school that isn't actually orthodox) MO people are moving out because of the schooling situation. Columbus is a popular choice for them.

We moved away from family. How willing are you to travel to visit them? How willing are they to visit you. My in-laws are retired so they are happy to visit? Not as often as when we lived near them but we do see them. MIL moved in before and after I had my baby here...

DallasIma

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:46 pm
Dallas!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:09 pm
DallasIma wrote:
Dallas!

Oh ok hadn’t thought of that. We are considering Houston is Dallas similar?

Petra

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 1:13 pm
OP,
If you have family all in one place, nothing beats that! There is no shul or outside community that is worth moving away. That is my opinion. You are right. It is huge to move away from family. But, I wouldn't know. I don't have any family really. I am admittedly jealous of those that do. Also, my other 2 cents. People look for too much out of their community. If you have a few family friends and kids have friends, I would work on growing or strengthening those. And reach out to those that don't necessarily fit your mold. I don't think one every really knows what they are moving into when they move into a community. They only know after they have been living it for a while. And by then, it is too late.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating