Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How do I protect myself if handyman has to come in?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:14 pm
I'm in the high-risk group and there may be a leak under my kitchen sink. If the building handyman has to come in, how do I protect myself?
I know about mask and gloves and shoe covers and 6-feet away.
Do I have to stay out of the kitchen for 3 hours after he leaves?
Very panicky.
Any guidance very gratefully received.
TIA

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:19 pm
they will come in using masks & gloves ...

I would wear same & wash up after s/he leaves & spray alcohol on everything

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:23 pm
Where did you hear about staying away for 3 hours?

You’re doing all the right things.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:24 pm
Not sure - have been reading all kinds of things! Had to do with how long the virus stays in the air, I think.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:32 pm
Do you have a window in the kitchen? I have read that circulation of air helps so that an elevator (for example) is worse than a large airy space. I would open up to air as much possible..

No one really knows how long the aerosol drops stay in the air and there is a difference between the large drops which are expelled when someone coughs or sneezes and the very small ones which occur from normal breathing or soft speech.

Wear a mask for awhile after he leaves just to be as safe as possible.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:35 pm
Amarante wrote:
Do you have a window in the kitchen? I have read that circulation of air helps so that an elevator (for example) is worse than a large airy space. I would open up to air as much possible..

No window in kitchen, but there is a vent. I can open living room window which is not far away. Also good idea about keeping mask on afterward. Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:43 pm
greenfire wrote:
Spray alcohol on everything

Great idea. Just filled spray bottle with Lysol. Thanks.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:54 pm
Have a mask and gloves to offer him just in case he doesn’t have. (I assume he would though).

The masks prevent the wearer from spreading germs more than they prevent anyone else from inhaling them.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure - have been reading all kinds of things! Had to do with how long the virus stays in the air, I think.

That is only true in a medical environment. Unless you are planning on intubating the handyman or putting in BiPAP, there should not be any aerosolized droplets. You can spray air with disinfectant and open windows/turn on fan too afterwards, if that makes you more comfortable.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:58 pm
Is your husband handy. Take a look to see if it is something he can fix. It may be as simple as tightening something. If the leak isn't bad, put something under too catch the drips and toss out once a day.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:03 pm
My friend and I have been discussing the purpose of gloves because gloves become just as contaminated as hands do. I see why gloves are important if someone puts them on just before they perform a procedure or to touch you or handle food but the gloves are then contaminated and need to be discarded.

For a handyman I would be more comfortable if they washed their hands before touching anything in my house because I would know the hands are clean. How do I know where the gloves have been? Very Happy

I am not second guessing as my friend and I have tried to figure out the best ways to protect ourselves and family. If I shop with gloves they are contaminated and therefore would contaminated anything I touch with them. I guess if I used gloves and then took them off and put them carefully away and tossed them and THEN washed or sanitized my hands, it makes sense since I would have double protection. But I see people wearing gloves and masks and nit realizing that the masks and gloves are contaminated and have to be treated carefully when taking off. If you just take gloves off and toss on the car seat or stroller or wherever, that’s nit a good way to handle them.

Not to hijack but in short I would feel safer if the handyman also washed his hands right after he came in rather than relying only on gloves. And definitely no shoes or wearing booties. I know in Canada, people have a basket of slippers and socks for guests and I am thinking of doing the same thing. I definitely have made my home a no outdoor shoe home.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:06 pm
dont go in the room for three hours stay away from the room furthset than you can

shanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:14 pm
Don’t talk to him in person. Leave the door ajar for him if you can and call him from a different room to discuss the problem rather than go in. If you can.
And stay out of the room after.
If you don’t have to have him come it’s better to avoid but you may need it

israelmama

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:16 pm
Have him wear mask and gloves, leave shoes outside of your house and then disinfect your floors after the handyman leaves. This is what we did when we had a repairman yesterday. Also, leave windows opened

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Unless you are planning on intubating the handyman or putting in BiPAP, there should not be any aerosolized droplets.

LOL LOL No, I don't have malpractice insurance!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:23 pm
Amarante wrote:
My friend and I have been discussing the purpose of gloves because gloves become just as contaminated as hands do. I see why gloves are important if someone puts them on just before they perform a procedure or to touch you or handle food but the gloves are then contaminated and need to be discarded.

For a handyman I would be more comfortable if they washed their hands before touching anything in my house because I would know the hands are clean. How do I know where the gloves have been? Very Happy

I am not second guessing as my friend and I have tried to figure out the best ways to protect ourselves and family. If I shop with gloves they are contaminated and therefore would contaminated anything I touch with them. I guess if I used gloves and then took them off and put them carefully away and tossed them and THEN washed or sanitized my hands, it makes sense since I would have double protection. But I see people wearing gloves and masks and nit realizing that the masks and gloves are contaminated and have to be treated carefully when taking off. If you just take gloves off and toss on the car seat or stroller or wherever, that’s nit a good way to handle them.

Not to hijack but in short I would feel safer if the handyman also washed his hands right after he came in rather than relying only on gloves. And definitely no shoes or wearing booties. I know in Canada, people have a basket of slippers and socks for guests and I am thinking of doing the same thing. I definitely have made my home a no outdoor shoe home.

I don't see how you can supervise proper hand washing. It's better to give him a fresh pair of gloves to put on.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
I see why gloves are important if someone puts them on just before they perform a procedure or to touch you or handle food but the gloves are then contaminated and need to be discarded.

I was planning on giving him gloves. I have extras.
FWIW when I unpack my groceries I use gloves and then wash them with soap and warm water just as I would wash my hands. I seem to remember that you also made the point in a previous post that washing gloves is better because you don't have to get under nails.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 2:29 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I don't see how you can supervise proper hand washing. It's better to give him a fresh pair of gloves to put on.

You watch him do it at your kitchen sink. And provide him with paper towels to dry his hands. If you don’t want to be close to him, set the liquid soap and paper towels on the counter. Obviously OP has to have some communication with him even at a safe distance.

I think any person who comes to your house is going to follow reasonable requests. If a worker isn’t willing to act reasonably, report to management. I live in an apartment building and all of the workers are being scrupulous in terms of protecting themselves and the residents.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The virus can stay 3-4 hours in the air. I would lock myself up in a different room for 3-4 hours.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:08 pm
So, I just had to have a Plummer come because my toilet broke. I stayed outside with my kids while my husband supervised the Plummer (from at least 6 foot distance). Made sure everyone washed hands after Plummer came and I disinfected any surfaces the Plummer may have touched (door knobs, sink knobs.... etc).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics