Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How do I protect myself if handyman has to come in?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:14 pm
Amarante wrote:
You watch him do it at your kitchen sink. And provide him with paper towels to dry his hands. If you don’t want to be close to him, set the liquid soap and paper towels on the counter. Obviously OP has to have some communication with him even at a safe distance.

I think any person who comes to your house is going to follow reasonable requests. If a worker isn’t willing to act reasonably, report to management. I live in an apartment building and all of the workers are being scrupulous in terms of protecting themselves and the residents.

I don't think most handyman would consider it reasonable for a tenant to say you didn't wash the heel of your hand or under your nails. You didn't wash long enough. Wash between your fingers Use more soap. Don't touch the handle.

What plays ok in an upscale owner building doesn't translate elsewhere. Owners can get away with being more demanding than tenants. OP wants less contact with the worker rather than more.

Also, OP may not be fluent in the handy man's language, so it might be complicated to direct hand washing.

Providing new gloves solves the problem of germ transfer instantly. Hand washing may or may not get all the virus.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:39 pm
It's possible the handyman might be suited up.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:52 pm
Have a whole crew come in and completely sanitize your home from top to bottom

Sleep outside for days until they finish

No..actually what you said is fine..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:57 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Have a whole crew come in and completely sanitize your home from top to bottom

LOL Sounds great. I haven't had my cleaner in for 4 weeks! LOL

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:03 pm
I think it's important to remember which steps protect whom.

Your concern is to protect yourself. Therefore:

- when you call, make sure he understands you are immunocompromised, and he will need to come with a mask, and remove his shoes, you will provide gloves, but he should still wash his hands on entering.

- sign at front door asking for shoes to be removed, and that job begin with 20 second handwashing, mask, AND fresh pair of gloves.

- You don't supervise his handwashing; that puts you within germ range.

- He tells you what he touches.

- At completion of job, after he is gone, you put on mask and gloves, and wipe/spray anything he touched.

- electronic payment, if possible, so as to avoid contact.

Whether or not he washes his hands at the end, what he does with the gloves you provide, etc, is not your concern.

JMO.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was planning on giving him gloves. I have extras.
FWIW when I unpack my groceries I use gloves and then wash them with soap and warm water just as I would wash my hands. I seem to remember that you also made the point in a previous post that washing gloves is better because you don't have to get under nails.

please pull the gloves off inside out & discard them !!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:10 pm
Many thanks, Ima imasinger. That was extremely helpful. I'm going to make a list of steps to take starting from when he comes to the door to when he leaves. Hug

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:17 pm
greenfire wrote:
please pull the gloves off inside out & discard them !!!

Done, many thanks.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 8:34 pm
My husband is a plumber and trust me he wants to go to your house about as much as you want him there - ie: not too much.

-He will put on clean gloves and mask before entering your house.
-He uses hand gel between gloves and he disposes of the gloves / masks after each job (please note he did this way before corona too).

-He will not take off his shoes. He never did and he never will. He wears big huge work boots and taking them on and off between customers is just time consuming and well, probably more germy than leaving them on. He will wear shoe covers if you provide them, otherwise he recommends vacuuming/mopping after he leaves if it is that important.

What he tells customers is as follows:

-If anyone has had any illness of any sort he will not come into the house.
-You should tell him where the issue is.
-Open windows if the space is small (eg an apartment)
-Wipe down the area with lysol before and after he comes. He wants protection too.
-No one should be in the same room when he comes. Open the door, point the way, hang out somewhere else. When he is done he will notify you, and leave.

-If you are imuno-compromised he will tell you to wear a mask when he comes into the house too.

Hope this helps.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Hope this helps.

Many thanks for the thorough information. Very helpful.

devo1982

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:59 pm
We had to have the plumber in before Pesach because the toilet wasn't working properly. Here's what we did (this was pre-mask wearing):

Removed as much stuff from the bathroom to a bedroom as possible (towels, toothbrushes, etc)
Cleared space around the toilet so he wouldn't need to touch anything other than the toilet to get to it
Cleared a path through the apartment to the bathroom so that he didn't accidentally brush anything on his way in to it - opened all doors ahead of time for him
Once he left, closed the bathroom door, opened the window, turned on the vent
Wiped down all surfaces in the bathroom and doorknobs etc with rubbing alcohol (no Lysol on hand, sadly)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics