Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Has anyone had the free kosher DOE meals?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Goldie613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:24 am
I heard that some of the public schools in New York City are starting to give out kosher meals for free. Has anyone had them? What's in them, and what was the situation like where you went? Long lines and chaos, very organized in and out, etc? Do they give you food for one meal for one person, or is it for multiple days/people?

https://hamodia.com/2020/04/20.....tion/

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/sc.....meals

Thanks

momofboys

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:37 am
Starting tommorow

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 9:52 am
So far the food is equivalent to the non-kosher food that is being distributed through the public schools.

Lunch and dinner consist of a sandwich, milk, fruit, veggie and possibly a yogurt or other type of snack. Lunch and dinner is the same. Breakfast would be some kind of cold cereal, fruit, milk.

So far as I know, it is meals for one day for each person who needs the food so you would have to pick up each day.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:01 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
So far the food is equivalent to the non-kosher food that is being distributed through the public schools.

Lunch and dinner consist of a sandwich, milk, fruit, veggie and possibly a yogurt or other type of snack. Lunch and dinner is the same. Breakfast would be some kind of cold cereal, fruit, milk.

So far as I know, it is meals for one day for each person who needs the food so you would have to pick up each day.

The meal in far Rockaway for breakfast is an apple, some sort of bran muffin, a plain yogurt, and a milk. No cereal. Lunch is a small roll, chummus, tomatoes, and more milk. And another apple.

The non kosher meals are significantly better IMO.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:21 am
I heard the food comes from Bornstein’s-a caterer that supplies kosher airline food.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:28 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I heard the food comes from Bornstein’s-a caterer that supplies kosher airline food.

It is not airline meals. They are providing the equipment of the non kosher option which is food that doesn’t have to be cooked. A roll and hummus is a sandwich equivalent.

The cost per meal has to be reasonable as well. They are making sure children have nutritional basics and aren’t malnourished and assuming that people who can afford food will not need to travel to receive food.

So whether it is worth it depends on how badly you need basic food for your children.

The food served by Jewish schools is probably different and they might be spending more per meal depending on how they are funding their free meals. Are most of them still giving out to everyone?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:22 am
Please check each item you receive for kosher certification. I heard one of the public school sites in NY was giving out cereal through the kosher meals that was not kosher.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:25 am
Is no one nervous about other people handling your food? Doesn't seem safe to me.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:40 am
BP kosher meal same as FR.
“breakfast is an apple, some sort of bran muffin, a plain yogurt, and a milk. No cereal. Lunch is a small roll, chummus, tomatoes, and more milk. And another apple. “

2 lunch portions per person, so one is for dinner

Wait was insane. They only started distributing kosher food around 10.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The meal in far Rockaway for breakfast is an apple, some sort of bran muffin, a plain yogurt, and a milk. No cereal. Lunch is a small roll, chummus, tomatoes, and more milk. And another apple.

The non-kosher breakfast today was cereal and milk and graham crackers and fruit juice all of which are OU or OU-D so if you eat that then get that if you prefer. The non-kosher lunch today was a peanut butter sandwhich (which they can give in a kosher version as well), chocolate milk which is ou-d, some apple sauce in a container and some corn and black beans in a container so the only thing you can eat from the lunch is the chocolate milk if you eat OU-D. So it seems like the kosher food is actually better than the non-kosher food unless you want cereal and milk for breakfast which you should be able to get if you ask for it. I will try to see what the kosher food is like on Monday and will let you know.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:01 pm
It is not airline meals. They are providing the equipment of the non kosher option which is food that doesn’t have to be cooked. A roll and hummus is a sandwich equivalent.

The cost per meal has to be reasonable as well. They are making sure children have nutritional basics and aren’t malnourished and assuming that people who can afford food will not need to travel to receive food.

So whether it is worth it depends on how badly you need basic food for your children.

The food served by Jewish schools is probably different and they might be spending more per meal depending on how they are funding their free meals. Are most of them still giving out to everyone?

Indigo,
I never said it was airline food.
However, I will specify that if you have the option you can get more substantial meals from the frum schools distribution.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:20 pm
I went today in Flatbush. Got there at 7:30 and there was already a line. People were taking tons but by the time it was my turn they were saying to not take so much so they’ll have enough.
Breakfast was milk, apple, muffin (that was gross) and a small yogurt. Lunch was milk, apple, hummus, and a small roll. Totally not worth the wait. The food from yeshiva is more useful to me and if I get there early enough, there’s no wait.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:35 pm
momofboys wrote:
Starting tommorow

Depends where. In Williamsburg they started Tuesday, on Far rockaway they started today. I don’t recall seeing anything starting tomorrow, but I could be wrong.
ETA: oops, didn’t realize the time on your post :-) It started today.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Also, no dinner

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:36 pm

Exactly. It's great that they provide for everyone regardless of need, but the whole purpose is to feed kids who would lack food otherwise and go hungry. The food provided is exactly that. I'd never expect the equivalent of getting food from a takeout or caterer.
It's a huge help for those truly in need.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:40 pm
I waited in BP from around 10:15. At 11:25 they ran out of food. There were only 2 people ahead of me then. My kids (who were waiting for me) were not very happy...

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The non-kosher breakfast today was cereal and milk and graham crackers and fruit juice all of which are OU or OU-D so if you eat that then get that if you prefer. The non-kosher lunch today was a peanut butter sandwhich (which they can give in a kosher version as well), chocolate milk which is ou-d, some apple sauce in a container and some corn and black beans in a container so the only thing you can eat from the lunch is the chocolate milk if you eat OU-D. So it seems like the kosher food is actually better than the non-kosher food unless you want cereal and milk for breakfast which you should be able to get if you ask for it. I will try to see what the kosher food is like on Monday and will let you know.

Here (Bayswater) the non-kosher meal was chicken or turkey sandwich. I didn’t look to see if the milk was regular or chocolate milk. Apple sauce, peanut butter, corn, and beans sounds like a much healthier lunch than bread and chumus....a chicken or turkey sandwich sounds healthier too....

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:42 pm
when we go it's later than the crowd ~ I eat my great-nephews graham crackers with sunbutter ... totally worth it lol

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:53 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Here (Bayswater) the non-kosher meal was chicken or turkey sandwich. I didn’t look to see if the milk was regular or chocolate milk. Apple sauce, peanut butter, corn, and beans sounds like a much healthier lunch than bread and chumus....a chicken or turkey sandwich sounds healthier too....

I heard that the issue is that according to NYC guidelines they have to include milk with the lunch, and for obvious reasons the kosher caterer can't serve milk and a turkey/chicken sandwich, so he's limited to different sandwich alternatives. I imagine we'll end up seeing tuna sandwiches, bagels with cream cheese, etc. But no deli sandwiches.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:54 pm
it's not free. our taxes pay for it.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics