Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Has anyone had the free kosher DOE meals?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I heard that the issue is that according to NYC guidelines they have to include milk with the lunch, and for obvious reasons the kosher caterer can't serve milk and a turkey/chicken sandwich, so he's limited to different sandwich alternatives. I imagine we'll end up seeing tuna sandwiches, bagels with cream cheese, etc. But no deli sandwiches.

Right. They have to follow the stated nutritional guidelines. So milk and fresh fruit at every meal. Protein, which I guess is where the hummus comes in. I wouldn't expect tuna though. I think they are going to have to provide more shelf stable less perishable stuff. So think more along the lines of peanut butter (or nut free alternatives).

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I heard that the issue is that according to NYC guidelines they have to include milk with the lunch, and for obvious reasons the kosher caterer can't serve milk and a turkey/chicken sandwich, so he's limited to different sandwich alternatives. I imagine we'll end up seeing tuna sandwiches, bagels with cream cheese, etc. But no deli sandwiches.

Cost per meal would also be a factor since the price of kosher meat is far more than non-kosher meat. I would imagine the vendor of kosher meals has to provide the meals for a set price while also being within the requirements for school lunches in terms of nutrition.

Hummus is a good source of protein because it is made with chickpeas.

The program is intended to prevent kids (and adults) from suffering malnutrition so the meals provide the basic nutritional requirements for a children in terms of protein, dairy etc. It is a wonderful thing (IMO) that NYC is providing food for everyone in need so that no one will starve because they can't afford food.

If you can afford to feed your children, I just don't understand how it is worth it to get dressed and stand in line. Peanut butter and tuna is relatively cheap. One can cook up a huge pot of vegetarian Chile (for example) or make a vegetable barley soup in large quantities and then have food for several days without much fuss.

I am not suggesting people shouldn't take food if they need it but only that expectations regarding the meals seems to be unrealistically high since the program is not designed to be "takeout" food. The food needs to be able to be handed out in bags so they aren't going to be able to serve even the kinds of hot foods that a school cafeteria might typically serve.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:21 pm
Exactly, indigo!
I work in a public school and the hot lunch a lot of my students get have very small portions of the main protein and vegetable. Even on pizza days, it is a small square of pizza that is smaller than a slice you'd get at a pizza shop. The (flavored) milk and fruit is probably what ups the calorie count the most. And when we've gone on field trips and the cafeteria provided bagged lunches, they consist of a sandwich, a fruit, a carton of milk, a carton of apple juice. And that's it!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:15 pm
The Public School on East 22nd Street in Flatbush was already out of food by 9:30 this morning.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it's not free. our taxes pay for it.

Our taxes have already paid for it, so we might as well take advantage of something we ALREADY paid for.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

They can serve cheese or cream cheese or sun/peanut butter. They can serve beans and corn. They don’t HAVE to serve meat. They can serve tuna....etc. There are so many healthy options aside from just plain bread. For the money they charge for services not rendered (is our tax money) they can provide a little bit better food.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:31 pm
As mentioned previously, they are likely using options that require the minimum of refrigeration. So I would think tuna and cream cheese are out. My school district would never have peanut butter on the menu due to allergies. So their options are limited. It's not just about what tax payers are paying for, it's also about following very strict nutritional guidelines. (I know portion sizes and meal options were both decreased when Michelle Obama's policy guidelines were adopted by most states.)

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:47 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
They can serve cheese or cream cheese or sun/peanut butter. They can serve beans and corn. They don’t HAVE to serve meat. They can serve tuna....etc. There are so many healthy options aside from just plain bread. For the money they charge for services not rendered (is our tax money) they can provide a little bit better food.

FWIW hummus is more nutritious than cream cheese which has pretty minimal food value. It was hummus and a roll which is a sandwich with protein and bread.

Tuna salad requires refrigeration so it would depend on the logistics of the catering company being able to prepare and deliver. Maybe as things progress there will be variety within the constraints of budget and logistics.

This is intended to prevent people from suffering from malnutrition because they can’t afford to buy food. It is not intended even equivalent to a normal school hot lunch except in terms of meeting dietary requirements. If people can afford food, why is anybody waiting on line.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:29 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I went today in Flatbush. Got there at 7:30 and there was already a line. People were taking tons but by the time it was my turn they were saying to not take so much so they’ll have enough.
Breakfast was milk, apple, muffin (that was gross) and a small yogurt. Lunch was milk, apple, hummus, and a small roll. Totally not worth the wait. The food from yeshiva is more useful to me and if I get there early enough, there’s no wait.

Which yeshivas in Brooklyn are giving out food? What's the rules for getting food there?

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:54 pm
In Flatbush - Chaim Berlin, Mir, Ohr Shraga Veretzky, Bnos Yisroel, the Cheder. I believe all but the Cheder are open to anyone; the Cheder is only for families of current students. But some only give out a few days a week, and times can fluctuate, so make sure you get the schedule for where you want to go.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
The Public School on East 22nd Street in Flatbush was already out of food by 9:30 this morning.

Make that 8:10am.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:23 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Our taxes have already paid for it, so we might as well take advantage of something we ALREADY paid for.

True but as many posters mentioned they run out of food quickly. If you don't realneed the food wouldn't you rather it go to someone in need?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 4:27 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

As so many have mentioned this is not for partying, its for surviving. So many ppl got there on time and went home empty handed. What if they really have no money for food? Wouldn't it make more sense to have more portions that are less glamorous so less ppl go hungry? I understand it's been a while since we've been invited to a wedding, we miss being catered to, but..

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:14 pm
Excuse me . those meals are also for the moms that are just not managing feeding the zoo of kids all day long. Besides being principal, teacher, cleaning lady, do I have to be the caterer too? If this meals prevent me from having a nervous breakdown, I'm just as entitled.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:14 pm
doctorima wrote:
In Flatbush - Chaim Berlin, Mir, Ohr Shraga Veretzky, Bnos Yisroel, the Cheder. I believe all but the Cheder are open to anyone; the Cheder is only for families of current students. But some only give out a few days a week, and times can fluctuate, so make sure you get the schedule for where you want to go.

Know of any in or near Williamsburg? Know a family out there who could certainly use the help

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Excuse me . those meals are also for the moms that are just not managing feeding the zoo of kids all day long. Besides being principal, teacher, cleaning lady, do I have to be the caterer too? If this meals prevent me from having a nervous breakdown, I'm just as entitled.

The intent of the program is to ensure that people who lack money to buy food don’t starve. The food that is being handed out does exactly that.

The meals are not intended to replace takeout for those who don’t want to cook or prepare food.

I am not even understanding how standing in line for food is more convenient than making sandwiches. If you can afford to feed your children, leave food for those who need it and appreciate what is given because otherwise they would have nothing.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:24 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
The intent of the program is to ensure that people who lack money to buy food don’t starve. The food that is being handed out does exactly that.

The meals are not intended to replace takeout for those who don’t want to cook or prepare food.

I am not even understanding how standing in line for food is more convenient than making sandwiches. If you can afford to feed your children, leave food for those who need it and appreciate what is given because otherwise they would have nothing.

Go ahead be more strict than the people giving out the food. They won't turn me away. I was not getting lunch on the table. It was either lunch or supper. Ask my kids. Couldn't do both. If that makes me dysfunctional, so be it. You should not be judging what a person "in need" means. Okay?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Go ahead be more strict than the people giving out the food. They won't turn me away. I was not getting lunch on the table. It was either lunch or supper. Ask my kids. Couldn't do both. If that makes me dysfunctional, so be it. You should not be judging what a person "in need" means. Okay?

I am not trying to limit who feels they should get free food. If people feel they need to use the program, fine and I don’t begrudge them.

I personally don’t think getting on a line for a few sandwiches and a piece of fruit is something I would do simply because it is more convenient. I don’t even understand how shlepping to stand in line is more convenient than making a simple lunch would be. I would do it only if my children would not have anything to eat if I didn’t shlep for a free sandwich, milk and fruit and then I would be grateful and not critical because I got hummus instead of cream cheese.

I am commenting on the attitude of some posters because the free food isn’t up to their standards.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:38 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I am not trying to limit who feels they should get free food. If people feel they need to use the program, fine and I don’t begrudge them.

I personally don’t think getting on a line for a few sandwiches and a piece of fruit is something I would do because it is more convenient. I would do it because otherwise my children would not eat and then I would be grateful and not critical because I got hummus instead of cream cheese.

I am commenting on the attitude of some posters because the free food isn’t up to their standards.

That was me and you got me wrong. I’m not complaining that the food isn’t up to my standards. I’m saying that the kosher meals are NOT equivalent to the not kosher meals. The meals in Far rockaway are not equivalent to meals in other parts of the city.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:41 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

The City is facing a HUGE shortfall!!! The economy is basically stopped - so very minimal revenue (I.e. taxes), and expenses have gone way up! I think we, taxpayers will be paying for this way into the future (unless there is some Federal bailout) . . .
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics