Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
My poor cinnamon buns
1  2  Next

rgh

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:21 am
The center is always, always raw!!!

This is the third recipe I've tried so far. Twice with homemade dough, once with store-bought.

I bake it for about 25 minutes, the outsides are all brown and crusty and delicious, but the inside swirls of each spiral is always doughy and mushy and wet and gross. Sad
I tried baking them longer, but then they start burning.

I'm on the verge of giving up. Ya think its my oven?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:25 am
What type of cookie sheets are you baking in?

Fave

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:26 am
Try making them smaller

rgh

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:27 am
I bake it either in a 9x13 pan or on a disposable cookie sheet.

I cut them about and inch and a half, per the recipe. You think smaller?

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:35 am
How frustrating!

How thick is the dough when you roll them out?

How wet /thick is the filling?

What temperature are you baking them at? Do you have an oven thermometer to check if the oven is accurate? Are you positioning the shelf correctly?

Does the recipe say only 25 minutes? Have you tried lightly covering after the 25 minutes and keeping them in the oven longer, possibly at a lower temp?

What material is your pan?

What's the recipe?

Last edited by cbsp on Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:41 am
rgh wrote:

When I bake on a disposable they don’t bake as evenly as a real baking sheet. Get a good quality baking sheet. Makes all the difference.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:47 am
rgh wrote:
The center is always, always raw!!!

This is the third recipe I've tried so far. Twice with homemade dough, once with store-bought.

I bake it for about 25 minutes, the outsides are all brown and crusty and delicious, but the inside swirls of each spiral is always doughy and mushy and wet and gross. Sad
I tried baking them longer, but then they start burning.

I'm on the verge of giving up. Ya think its my oven?

Don't stuff the pan. They need room between each bun. They will rise and attach on their own. They need room to bake through.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:03 am
SuperWify wrote:
When I bake on a disposable they don’t bake as evenly as a real baking sheet. Get a good quality baking sheet. Makes all the difference.

Agree, and to add, I line my baking sheet with a silpat (or you could do parchment paper) for easy clean-up.

Yum, I really need to put up a batch, haven't made any since before Pesach. Thanks for the reminder OP.

rgh

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:13 am
SuperWify wrote:

K, will try this. I hate buying real pans cuz I don't have room to store them in my kitchen.

But for good cinnamon buns, I'll do anything. Wink

MiriFr

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:15 am
rgh wrote:

Smaller, like in diameter

rgh

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:24 am
ra_mom wrote:
Don't stuff the pan. They need room between each bun. They will rise and attach on their own. They need room to bake through.

I know, I used to stuff them. But last night I made a batch and was super careful; left tonz of room.
They puffed up and attached in the oven. The outside of each one was nice and well done, but inside still raw.

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:32 am
If you use disposable pans, always use two or three together. It creates insulating sir pockets between the pans, mimicking better-quality baking pans.

Make sure to space out the buns and let them rise in the pan before baking (but don't let them overproof).

Try covering them about halfway through, once the outsides are set but not fully golden, then once the insides are basically done, uncover for a final few minutes (you can sacrifice one cinnamon roll to test it, and keep track of the timing you used, uncovered and covered, so you can discover the right timing for you and your oven. This way you'll know what will work for future batches, without having to test a roll each time).

If you have a convection setting, try using that to better disperse the heat.

Finally, and probably most importantly, use an oven thermometer. They're cheap. Keep one inside your oven to make sure it's baking at the correct temperature. I find recipe baking times are NEVER accurate because most ovens heat differently.

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:54 am
Try round pans (8 or 9 inch) instead of 9x13-- disposable is fine. Then only put 6-8 or so buns in each pan (one or two in the center), leaving room so they can rise fully. Let your rolls rise fully, usually about 45 minutes to an hour.

In addition to using an oven thermometer, make sure your oven rack is in the middle of the oven, and place your pans in the back of the oven (the temperature of front of the oven fluctuates more as hot air is let out whenever you open the oven).

At about 15-20 minutes, if the tops are browning too much or too quickly, make a foil tent to protect the rolls. You might have to bake for 5-10 minutes more than usual.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:57 am
SuperWify wrote:

I second this.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:58 am
It's not your poor cinnamon buns, it's poor you! Must be annoying. Hatzlacha!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:04 pm
rgh wrote:
K, will try this. I hate buying real pans cuz I don't have room to store them in my kitchen.

But for good cinnamon buns, I'll do anything. Wink

No room? How about storing them in the oven? That's what a lot of people in Israel just have to do. I have only seen ONE kitchen here which has a special drawer for baking pans and that's the luxury kitchen of a friend of mine.

rgh

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:16 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
No room? How about storing them in the oven? That's what a lot of people in Israel just have to do. I have only seen ONE kitchen here which has a special drawer for baking pans and that's the luxury kitchen of a friend of mine.

What a cool idea. And then you just take them out and leave them on the counter every time you use the oven?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:29 pm
you really have to roll them very thin with a rolling pin before ... and just when you think they're good roll them thinner

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:13 pm
rgh wrote:
What a cool idea. And then you just take them out and leave them on the counter every time you use the oven?

Correct Smile

simcha2

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:25 pm
Reduce the temperature and bake for longer. (In addition to giving space, good baking sheet etc.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins