Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Custom wig... if you bring the hair

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:14 am
How much does it cost to custom make a wig, if your providing the hair?
Has anyone done it?
If you can provide Names and locations in the tristate area that would be helpful as well.

Thanks

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:56 pm
I've heard that it costs the same because of the handling. Also, one head of hair isn't enough for a wig.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:00 pm
Someone I know had a wig made of her own hair by Claire AccuHair in NY. I don't think there was savings due to it being her own hair, but it was an exact match, which is what she wanted. I think she grew her hair quite long before it, and there had to be alot of hair for them to use.

just me!!

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:02 pm
Yup, have also heard that still remains expensive... almost like a reg wig

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:31 pm
if you're wearing your own hair what's the point of a wig ?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:36 pm
What’s the point of a wig at all?
To be attractive.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
What’s the point of a wig at all?
To be attractive.

No, we don't wear a wig to be attractive. We wear a wig to cover our hear in a nice looking way.
I think I remember once reading on imamother that it's not allowed to wear a wig made of our own hair. Is this true?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 2:05 pm
Before the thread goes so off tangent that it will be impossible to bring it back, let’s address some concerns:

The main reason we wear a wig, is because it’s a mitzvah.. everything else everyone has opinions on, and they don’t necessarily Line up with each other.
Moving On, I never said it’s for someone using their own hair.
There are a Rabbis that allow it, whether or not imamother says differently, but that’s not even up for discussion here, because that’s not what I’m asking.

When people say “expensive” or “it’s the same” we all know that’s relative.
You can get an Irene for $1500 or a Dini for $6000.

How similarly priced are we talking Talking here? 😂😂

Thanks for all those who genuinely tried to help with their replies

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
No, we don't wear a wig to be attractive. We wear a wig to cover our hear in a nice looking way.
I think I remember once reading on imamother that it's not allowed to wear a wig made of our own hair. Is this true?

Yes. It is assur to wear a wig made out of ones own hair.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Assur l'halacha or as per your Rav?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Not so black and white.

Quote:

All this, of course, relates to a wig with another woman’s hair, but what about one’s own hair?

The Mishna Brurah (75:15) cites two views in this regard. The first view he cites is that of Rav Yoseph Ben Meir Teumim (1727-1793), author of the Pri Magadim. The Pri Magadim is of the opinion that use of a Peah Nochris, a sheitel, is permitted. The Mishna Brurah then states that it is indicative in the language of the Pri Magadim that he permits the use of one’s own hair in the manufacture of it as well. He then cites the view of the Mogen Giborim (written by the two brothers-in-law, Rav Yosef Shaul Nathanson [1808-1875] and Rav Mordechai Zev Ettinger [1804-1863] and published in two parts) who were stringent in this manner.

It is also interesting to note that manuscripts of Rav Teumim have been found in the Bodleian Library at Oxford (1:1500:16419) of his work entitled “Aim LaBina” mentioned by R. Avrohom Meir Livshitz Breizel printed in 2014 which show that days before he passed away, Rav Teumim retracted his whole heter for wigs entirely. Nonetheless, we have a dictum that an author’s more authoritative work will set aside a lesser work that he wrote, even if he wrote it later.

Rav Nissim Karelitz Shlita (Chut Shaini Shabbos III page 272) writes “praised be the one who, in her tznius can fulfill the halacha according to all opinions.” It is clear that Rav Karelitz Shlita believes that, ideally a woman should be stringent in accordance with the view of the Magain Giborim. What, however, is the view of the Mishna Brurah? What is normative halacha?
The earliest source who discusses the topic is Rav Yehoshua Boaz Ben Shimon Boruch (d. 1557) of Northern Italy, the author of the Shiltei Giborim. He writes on tractate Shabbos (64b) that the wig is permitted and it makes no difference whether it is her own hair or that of another woman. He also shows that this is clearly referring to a married woman because the Gemorah states that she wears it so that she not be found unappealing in the eyes of her husband.

The Levush, however, forbade the use of a person’s own hair, disagreeing with the Darchei Moshe in (YD 303) who indicates that it is permitted. The Ateres Zkainim also understands the Ramah as permitting it with one’s own hair. It would seem that the fact that Be’er Haitev does not even cite the view of the Levush is indicative that he holds the halacha is clearly like the Ramah. This is borne out by the fact tha in Even ha’Ezer (Siman 115) he just cites the view of the Shiltei Giborim without bringing any dissenting view.

CONCLUSION

When the Mishna Brurah cites one authority and then a second one who is stringent, the general understanding that he rules in accordance with the first view (heard from m Rebbe a relative of teh Chofetz Chaim). Also, generally speaking, the Pri Magadim is more authoritative than the Mogain Giborrim. This combined with the view of the Shiltei Giborim would indicate that as a matter of pure halacha, notwithstanding the recommendation of Rav Nissim Karelitz, it would be permitted to use one’s own hair. However, the fact that the Mishna Brurah cites the view forbidding it as well indicates that it is not being unduly strict to be machmir.

(https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/371432/halachic-analysis-sheitels-made-from-ones-own-hair.html)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels