Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
SD laws in NYC private house
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 8:32 am
In canada it is illegal to have someone enter your home if they don’t live there.
Groups over 2 are illegal outdoors.

Is NY less strict?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 8:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
IS there a legal limit of 10 people gathering inside a private house or not?

Yes, I believe it is banned, unless they are actual residents of the home.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 8:41 am
https://portal.311.nyc.gov/art.....03299

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 8:43 am
https://coronavirus.health.ny......pause

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
In canada it is illegal to have someone enter your home if they don’t live there.
Groups over 2 are illegal outdoors.

Is NY less strict?

Canada doesn't have national rules about home entry.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 9:55 am
NYS on Pause states:

Non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason (e.g. parties, celebrations or other social events) are canceled or postponed at this time;

Maximum fine of $1000

But NYC 311 states you can report violations:

You can report:

A business or location is required to be closed
An essential business is open, but is not complying with necessary restrictions
Overcrowding at a business or location
Lack of face covering at a supermarket or grocery store
To report non-essential construction in progress during the COVID-19 work stoppage, go to the Non-Essential Construction Complaint page.

Location types include:

Bar, restaurant, or venue
Barber, salon, tattoo, or personal care
Office building
Public space or gathering
Park or playground
Supermarket or grocery store
Social Distancing Restrictions

Social distancing restrictions include:

Keeping six feet away from others (non-family group members)
Not engaging in team sports
Not gathering in groups
Non-essential businesses should be closed
Essential businesses that are open must follow necessary restrictions

To summarize: NYS law: you can get fined for any gathering in your home, and NYC asks you to report business gatherings and doesn't mention private homes.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
So sorry for your loss. Sad

Did he get to sit with his family?

No.
He sat alone.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:26 am
tweety1 wrote:
This! My dh passed 2 parks in NYC and snapped a picture to show me what's going on. But minyan is retzichah and gets mesirah.

Also, you'll want to get a glimpse of the packed subway cars in New York, during rush hour.

It's unbelievable that the Chareidi neighborhoods keep getting blamed for everything. The only reason the "Jewish" neighborhoods were very hard hit in the beginning is because Purim there was no shut down or social distancing yet. Also the month before Purim is packed with weddings and again at that time NOBODY including all these people criticizing everybody, were taking the virus seriously yet.
Some people are really bored and then there are those who just need a scapegoat.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Also, you'll want to get a glimpse of the packed subway cars in New York, during rush hour.

It's unbelievable that the Chareidi neighborhoods keep getting blamed for everything. The only reason the "Jewish" neighborhoods were very hard hit in the beginning is because Purim there was no shut down or social distancing yet. Also the month before Purim is packed with weddings and again at that time NOBODY including all these people criticizing everybody, were taking the virus seriously yet.
Some people are really bored and then there are those who just need a scapegoat.

My personal problem is not with chasunas before Purim when no one knew. I am not asking why our numbers are high, which is simple to explain.

It's why are we ignoring rules once they're in place.

I don't care about subways and parks. I am not going to travel on the subway or go to parks in middle of a pandemic. But if the front of my house is full of kids at all hours playing together, I can't have my kids get a safe daily exercise walk.

I care about the optics and chilul Hashem when religion is used as an excuse for illegal or unsafe behavior.

It annoys me when people point to other groups who are just as bad. Well, we're supposed to be better, if I'm to believe my seminary teacher. Why compare myself to others?

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:55 am
all is takes is one dense person to not follow the rules ... just need a playdate, just need a coffee, just need to _____, to be near one person who might have been in contact who brings to that one person who then repeats process until it's a pandemic

oh wait it's already a pandemic

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:02 pm
This disease is DEADLY.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:04 pm
Hashem is wonderful and can hear all our tefillos wether you are with a minyan or davening alone at your dining room table.

He hears us all equally.

Hashem doesn't appreciate the tefillos MORE if a man davens with a minyan.

Especially during this PANDEMIC

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:13 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Hashem is wonderful and can hear all our tefillos wether you are with a minyan or davening alone at your dining room table.

He hears us all equally.

Hashem doesn't appreciate the tefillos MORE if a man davens with a minyan.

Especially during this PANDEMIC

He also sees through amother rose and reads how yidden are commenting on other yidden that are davening with minyan in a safe way either on balconies or on large open areas spread apart.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:27 pm
I know it’s very hard for people not to comment emotionally here, but all I want to hear is the actual laws.

If someone is an essential worker and needs to work am I legally allowed to watch their kids in my house?
What if their parent just needs help for whatever reason?

Can I legally have a cleaning lady ?

Can I legally host single family members who live alone?

Can I legally have an exercise instructor come to my house?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it’s very hard for people not to comment emotionally here, but all I want to hear is the actual laws.

If someone is an essential worker and needs to work am I legally allowed to watch their kids in my house?

More than likely, you can legally let people into the house. I think that people call the police because they heard parties going on and when the police came, they saw that an event was taking place.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 12:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You aren't supposed to be having social gatherings.

Your cleaning lady isn't supposed to be leaving the house other than to get groceries and basic recreation - an exception would be if she is leaving the house for work. Work needs to be for an essential business.

Same for your exercise instructor.

You want your exercise instructor to come, and she's willing? so agree with her that if someone looks and levies a fine, you'll pay it. Same for your cleaning lady.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 1:47 pm
greenfire wrote:
all is takes is one dense person to not follow the rules ... just need a playdate, just need a coffee, just need to _____, to be near one person who might have been in contact who brings to that one person who then repeats process until it's a pandemic

oh wait it's already a pandemic

My neighbor couldn’t leave her house this morning so she asked me pick up some meals for her and her kids. When I got back, I put them in a bag and left them on my steps. She asked if I could also make her a cup of coffee. I made the coffee and left it outside (covered of course) next to the bag. We didn’t even see each other. At one point I asked my kids to go see if the stuff was gone. It was, so I assume she took it.
My kids are going crazy not playing with and/or seeing their friends, as an I, but for now that’s the way it has to be.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 1:53 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My personal problem is not with chasunas before Purim when no one knew. I am not asking why our numbers are high, which is simple to explain.

I don't care about subways and parks. I am not going to travel on the subway or go to parks in middle of a pandemic. But if the front of my house is full of kids at all hours playing together, I can't have my kids get a safe daily exercise walk.

I care about the optics and chilul Hashem when religion is used as an excuse for illegal or unsafe behavior.

It annoys me when people point to other groups who are just as bad. Well, we're supposed to be better, if I'm to believe my seminary teacher. Why compare myself to others?

Because the city is allowing the subway and public transportation to run. They also are allowing public parks to be open. They know what's going on there but they don't seem to care.
Who are you comparing yourself to? Those people made their decision and you get to make your decision. You could always put up a barrier if you don't want people on your property. Stop being so busy with what other people are doing.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Because the city is allowing the subway and public transportation to run. They also are allowing public parks to be open. They know what's going on there but they don't seem to care.
Who are you comparing yourself to? Those people made their decision and you get to make your decision. You could always put up a barrier if you don't want people on your property. Stop being so busy with what other people are doing.

Lol barrier? Property? What are you talking about? I live in a crowded city. I rent an apartment.

My neighbors outside my door affect me. The people in parks don't.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I agree with you and I'm dealing with the same.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics