Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Lakewood/dentist for autistic child

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 5:31 pm
im looking for lakewood or surrounding areas. im desperate. I want someone that has used one and can tell me experience. I need someone who will deal with the anxiety part. dd is high anxious. and wont go no matter what. I need someone who will give her a tour before I even get her to cooperate. please help me. I dont have to go yet with her im looking so I have one when the virus is over. thank you so much. I want to hear your experiences. thank you so so much!

also does anyone know of any chats or blogs that have mothers with asd/adhd kids except for imamother? I need support /group and support group I could go to and just not feel alone. I know imamother is great just looking for more. especially one in lakewood that know the things that are available here. thank you so much!

giselle

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 5:42 pm
I can’t comment specifically for asd, but Dr. Jay is a very caring dentist, and I highly recommend him in general. My kids always hated going to the dentist, and since we switched over to his office, they actually look forward to it! I’m remembering now that they were very helpful when my daughter was anxious about having a cavity filled.

oneofakind

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 9:41 pm
Dr. Frederick Paperth 732 223 9777. If he's still around.
Warm, old fashioned office, flexible. My DC got scared off by one of those large pediatric office that had a cold uber proffessional feel to it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 9:45 pm
giselle wrote:
I can’t comment specifically for asd, but Dr. Jay is a very caring dentist, and I highly recommend him in general. My kids always hated going to the dentist, and since we switched over to his office, they actually look forward to it! I’m remembering now that they were very helpful when my daughter was anxious about having a cavity filled.

My dd was severely anxious (she was in therapy for it) and the staff at Dr Jays office was EXTREMELY patient and kind. Wonder of wonders now she goes with little fuss!

http://www.kdkinhowell.com/

INSPIREME

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:57 pm
https://www.shorechildrensdentalcare.com/

I think they are supposed to specialize in special needs kids

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:33 am
There's a support group on facebook that's active.. there's also one on email, but theyre mostly israeli moms.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:55 am
I have been using State Street Smiles, Dr. Eddie. Amazing dentist!!! Great hygienists! My kids love going to the dentist.
My son has adhd and Anxiety from going to many doctors when he was young. Bh very happy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I have been using State Street Smiles, Dr. Eddie. Amazing dentist!!! Great hygienists! My kids love going to the dentist.
My son has adhd and Anxiety from going to many doctors when he was young. Bh very happy.

Hi thank you to everyone for your answers! A child that is anxious is not the same as an autistic child that is anxious. Therefore a dentist that has the extra care and time to deal with asd is very important. Thank you for your answer!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi thank you to everyone for your answers! A child that is anxious is not the same as an autistic child that is anxious. Therefore a dentist that has the extra care and time to deal with asd is very important. Thank you for your answer!

You are right. A child that is autistic definitely needs a dentist that deals w kids that have special needs. This is what they specialize in. The staff is amazing and understanding as well

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 2:54 am
I’m seconding shore dental- 1- Someone with an autistic son uses them.

2- I was there with one of my children and watched them work on a special needs child- I was pretty impressed.

They have special protocol for all children so I’m assuming for special needs as well- was a while ago so don’t remember specific- mayb certain age needs to come earlier in the day.... or mayb for first visit earlier in the day... haven’t been there in years so a bit hazy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:53 pm
bump
anyone knows the exact name of this dentist for kids? theres different ones with similar names. is this the shore childrens dental located at avon by the sea? if nayone can help me please. thank you!

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:08 pm
I was just in Shore Dental today with my toddler. They were extremely gentle and competent with him. He is not special needs, however I also use them for some of my other children, one of them who has some issues. They have always been exceptionally gentle and professional in treating him. When he threw up, from gag reflex, we offered to clean it up, but they waved us away, very kindly telling us that it's all part of their job working for children, and they are happy to do it.
They have two offices, one in Avon on Sea, and one in Manasquan (this one is a little smaller). I always use Avon, so I don't know if there is much difference. The doctors rotate between the two. They are online, if you want contact information.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:13 pm
Just adding, that they only schedule toddlers in the morning. Also, I was asked to hold him on my lap in the dentist chair the entire time, and I was really surprised that my child cooperated and didn't cry at all. I really reccomend them. They do have a strict Covid protocol in place, so it's unlikely they would give you a tour at the moment. You can call them and ask them, they are very helpful on the phone. Good luck!

shanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:31 pm
Can you ask for a place they do laughing gas?
That’s the only thing that worked BH for my daughter who was terribly anxious about the dentist and had major oral sensitivity
We heard great reviews about a place (not in NJ) but they didn’t do laughing gas and it didn’t work for her so we switched.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)