Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Monsey - free meals VENT
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:08 am
See this thread for more information.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Because till now you had to sign up through a school and your school was supposed to give you lunch. At the end schools were able to give lunches to others as well but people didn't know about it.
Unfortunately kids were going hungry and someone who is involved in an organization in Monsey took it upon themself to help starving children. So they now started a program where it should not have to go through a school and everyone should know about it.
So no, this was no secret. It's a new initiative. This is someone's hard work to bring this program to every child in the county.

So it would be nice to do some research before jumping to conclusions. I was somewhat involved with one of the people involved in this project and would appreciate you deleting or editing this post.

This program deserves appreciation and gratitude.

This.

Sorry OP, but really. Nobody is keeping it a "secret"

1. I found out about it by word of mouth. I have been picking up meals since before pesach.

2. I too have been involved with someone who has spent hours of her precious time helping this initiative come to fruition and this post just comes across super self-absorbed. Nobody is getting paid to publicize it - this was out of the kindness of some very special people's hearts.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:15 am
The schools are making a fortune on this program they don’t care who picks up the lunch as long as people pick up so they can bill the government.

I live in Lakewood and there are Whatsapp post please go to this school because they just started help support the school.

It’s not a secret I guess for whatever reason your friend didn’t think to tell you.

In Lakewood close to 30,000 lunches are given out daily maybe the lunches cost $3 and they are billing government $8 a much. Everyone is so excited but honestly our taxes will probably go up even more to cover this expense bec the money has to come from somewhere.

Honestly the government should suit give each family money to feed their kids and everyone will be happy. And it will be cheaper for them.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This.

1. I found out about it by word of mouth. I have been picking up meals since before pesach.

2. I too have been involved with someone who has spent hours of her precious time helping this initiative come to fruition and this post just comes across super self-absorbed. Nobody is getting paid to publicize it - this was out of the kindness of some very special people's hearts.

Are you saying they aren’t making money on the program because that’s not true this is a business deal every school is trying to get approvals to do it to make the money.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Because till now you had to sign up through a school and your school was supposed to give you lunch. At the end schools were able to give lunches to others as well but people didn't know about it.
Unfortunately kids were going hungry and someone who is involved in an organization in Monsey took it upon themself to help starving children. So they now started a program where it should not have to go through a school and everyone should know about it.
So no, this was no secret. It's a new initiative. This is someone's hard work to bring this program to every child in the county.

So it would be nice to do some research before jumping to conclusions. I was somewhat involved with one of the people involved in this project and would appreciate you deleting or editing this post.

This program deserves appreciation and gratitude.

I really appreciate this program. I apologize if you were offended. My intentions were to get s ok me answers.

Thank you for everything you did to make sure that the public is aware of it. I recieved it about 10 times on Friday and once tonight.

My friends kids are in the same school as my kids. Our school wasnt and isnt part of any program. Yet she got free food and picked it up at a different school, one of the 2 pickup sites. I assumed it was because her kids qualify for free food. I didnt want to ask her personal questions, so I do not know the details.

If opening the program to everyone, regardless of income is a new thing, then I was misinformed over shabbos.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really appreciate this program. I apologize if you were offended. My intentions were to get s ok me answers.

Thank you for everything you did to make sure that the public is aware of it. I recieved it about 10 times on Friday and once tonight.

My friends kids are in the same school as my kids. Our school wasnt and isnt part of any program. Yet she got free food and picked it up at a different school, one of the 2 pickup sites. I assumed it was because her kids qualify for free food. I didnt want to ask her personal questions, so I do not know the details.

If opening the program to everyone, regardless of income is a new thing, then I was misinformed over shabbos.

The program was always opened to everyone. But originally schools were only approved to service the number of students that are in their school. schools worked hard to get more approvals so that they can bill more and make more meals. Why don’t schools Provide more Food if not? The government is paying way more than what they are providing.

This program makes no sense bec one family can get from five places and then others get none. It should be one place with different pickups all the same food so that people don’t go to all places and the same families don’t get all the food.

HelloG

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:24 am
you can pick up from the nearest school

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:29 am
If anyone here was part of the Friday flyer, Thank You!!!

I know that people are making money off of it. I also want to take advantage of it, since my kids and I will probably be paying for this for many years.

Yes, I can bh afford to buy food for my kids. But my food bill is really high now that everyone is home. We also had a unexpected expense of bringing dc time from Israel.

I am working from home, full time. Having prepared lunches will hopefully remove some of the stress. I also limit my grocery shopping and I'm not that organized.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:31 am
I heard that anyone can pick up from cheder toras zev (cross st) in Lakewood. I think pickup starts 9:30 am and doesn't last long (they run out.) Anyone know of another school in the area that gives lunch? Closer to lunch time would be more ideal.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 12:38 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This.

Wow. Its amazing how nice some people are. You know someone that spent hours on this program out the goodness of her heart, yet you dont understand why I would be upset to find out that it wasn't advertised properly for weeks. WhatsApp cost nothing. I get so many robo calls about stuff in Yiddish all day long, yet no one thought until now to let people know about a food program.

There are hundreds of Monsey families that attend schools that dont offer these programs. It shouldn't have taken this long to let them know that they can go anywhere to get food.

Better late than never.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I heard that anyone can pick up from cheder toras zev (cross st) in Lakewood. I think pickup starts 9:30 am and doesn't last long (they run out.) Anyone know of another school in the area that gives lunch? Closer to lunch time would be more ideal.

Many schools have times that change.

I like picking up early. This way we have the breakfast food. It doesn’t disturb my work, less traffic, and the kids don’t miss class.

Cheder Toras zev distribution is really organized

Tashbar has pickup daily from gelbsteins starting at 8:45. I really like the food but it’s self serve so SD isn’t great. And sometimes they run out of things right away - I wonder if ppl just take it all.

Tby sometimes has at 11 but runs out quickly. Gives breakfast and lunch. But sometimes gives for 2 days.

Bnos yaakov in Kent road also gives from circa.

Out to lunch distribution at Bnos Devorah on Oak street 9:30 am - 11:30 am,

4 corners at John Patrick sports park off vine 11:00 am

I found schools only advertised to their parents even though anyone can pickup because they want to yelp their parent body. They do run out at all locations and if don’t get there early can wait online forever and food runs out.

I don’t think it’s true schools make $5/lunch. They make money but not close to that amount. That would mean a school distributing 1500 meals is making $7500 a day. Not only is it motzei Shem ra to repeat it but it creates hatred among others when they read it and think we are cheating the government.

My kids schools charge for lunch so they can’t do the program so I don’t get the txts. But schools who do it send out txts.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. Its amazing how nice some people are. You know someone that spent hours on this program out the goodness of her heart, yet you dont understand why I would be upset to find out that it wasn't advertised properly for weeks. WhatsApp cost nothing. I get so many robo calls about stuff in Yiddish all day long, yet no one thought until now to let people know about a food program.

There are hundreds of Monsey families that attend schools that dont offer these programs. It shouldn't have taken this long to let them know that they can go anywhere to get food.

Better late than never.

This particular Initiative that every child should have access to food without having to go through a school is actually new.
It hasn't even started, check the dates. I think it's starting Thursday.
And perhaps the schools might be making money off it but not the people involved in this particular Initiative.
However free meals started being available through other schools even if you didn't send there. Unfortunately you and many others didn't know about it and that is what this initiative is trying to fix.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:15 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
This particular Initiative that every child should have access to food without having to go through a school is actually new.
It hasn't even started, check the dates. I think it's starting Thursday.
And perhaps the schools might be making money off it but not the people involved in this particular Initiative.
However free meals started being available through other schools even if you didn't send there. Unfortunately you and many others didn't know about it and that is what this initiative is trying to fix.

Thank you for explaining Fridays flyer. Again, I really appreciate it and want to thank the people that put together the flyer. I would have never known otherwise.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for explaining Fridays flyer. Again, I really appreciate it and want to thank the people that put together the flyer. I would have never known otherwise.

Thank you I will pass it on, and I'm glad that it's making people aware that the program is available to all children.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Better late than never.

Because the program was always available to everyone but a school was only able to bill according to the amount of students they had registered. The people making the money petitioned to be allowed to make as many meals as people that come and they got it approved so now every school is publicizing it bec the more people that come the more money they make. Very simple answer.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:54 am
The chasidish schools are dropping it off in every child’s home. Why don’t people petition to drop it off by everyone this way it’s a lot safer and doesn’t force parents to be on the streets. Instead of schools making money on the meals they can use that money for the bussing of the meals. Also delivering insures that everyone gets it and not that some people can go around getting from five places.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 1:57 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

My kids schools charge for lunch so they can’t do the program so I don’t get the txts. But schools who do it send out txts.

I'm a little confused about what you wrote because my kids go to Bnos Yaakov and they charge for lunch. But they're giving out free lunches now and have been since the beginning.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:04 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I'm a little confused about what you wrote because my kids go to Bnos Yaakov and they charge for lunch. But they're giving out free lunches now and have been since the beginning.

That’s interesting. I’m guess I’m wrong then. Thanks for the correction.

I think circa originally was giving lunch from their store - but then the rules changed and had to give from a school. So they moved to a school parking lot.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:05 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
The chasidish schools are dropping it off in every child’s home. Why don’t people petition to drop it off by everyone this way it’s a lot safer and doesn’t force parents to be on the streets. Instead of schools making money on the meals they can use that money for the bussing of the meals. Also delivering insures that everyone gets it and not that some people can go around getting from five places.

Only schools that have busses and bus drivers already are doing that. They can pay their bus drivers a salary and the busses are theirs.
For other schools it doesn’t make sense. Schools aren’t going to put in the effort for free. That makes no sense.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:13 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Only schools that have busses and bus drivers already are doing that. They can pay their bus drivers a salary and the busses are theirs.
For other schools it doesn’t make sense. Schools aren’t going to put in the effort for free. That makes no sense.

It’s not free schools are getting a lot of money form the government. The whole program makes no sense the government should instead choose one caterer to provide meals for all and pay less per meal and pay for transportation also this will be cheaper for the government and safer for all.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics