Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Non Jews taking food boxes from outside shaarei torah- roder
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:41 pm
DH took a walk near Roder and Coney Island Ave yesterday evening around 7, where shaarei torah boys school is, and he saw several non Jews loading boxes of food- fruits, vegetables, other foods that were wrapped, from right outside the building of the school to their car. There was no one else around. Don't they have non kosher places for non Jews to get from? Why are they taking from Jewish places. That food should go to Jewish people who need it.

octopus

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:43 pm
The schools are not allowed to discriminate. You will see non Jews on the Chaim Berlin line as well. The food is funded by government and therefore cannot discriminate.

Einikel

If they let people from other schools take non Jews have the same right.

amother
Ruby

Were there signs posted or people in charge of the distribution?
If not, how are they supposed to know who it is for?

octopus

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:44 pm
Maybe they figured out that the Jewish schools offer better food than the public school Hiding

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DH took a walk near Roder and Coney Island Ave yesterday evening around 7, where shaarei torah boys school is, and he saw several non Jews loading boxes of food- fruits, vegetables, other foods that were wrapped, from right outside the building of the school to their car. There was no one else around. Don't they have non kosher places for non Jews to get from? Why are they taking from Jewish places. That food should go to Jewish people who need it.

Many Jews dont "look" Jewish. Women can be wearing pants and men dont wear kippahs. So how do you know that they are non-Jewish? And why do you care if people take food if they need it?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:29 pm
How do you know government is funding all of it? Maybe school ordered in advance based on parents paying and couldn't stop the order afterwards.
I don't know if there were signs, this was close to night time and there was no one at the door or in the building and no one Jewish. There were 3 hispanic men and women taking boxes and crates that were outside the school door into their van. I believe in giving food to needy non Jewish people but if it's specifically from a Jewish school it should go to Jews first and afterwards if there are any leftovers it can go to non Jews. This was a lot of food, multiple boxes and crates.

sunflowershine

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:32 pm
Maybe they were delivering them to the students. Some schools have delivery too

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you know government is funding all of it? Maybe school ordered in advance based on parents paying and couldn't stop the order afterwards.
I don't know if there were signs, this was close to night time and there was no one at the door or in the building and no one Jewish. There were 3 hispanic men and women taking boxes and crates that were outside the school door into their van. I believe in giving food to needy non Jewish people but if it's specifically from a Jewish school it should go to Jews first and afterwards if there are any leftovers it can go to non Jews. This was a lot of food, multiple boxes and crates.

If you don't want people to take without permission it is foolish to leave it sitting out overnight with no supervisor. Also not safe or hygienic. Maybe you should call the school to tell them to make arrangements to store inside the building when it isn't regular distribution time.

amother
Cerulean

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Maybe one of them is a school employee and was told to take what's left at night for their own family/ friends.

amother
Aubergine

amother [ OP ] wrote:

So how would you suggest enforcing that if there is food being left outside for people to take?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP can you clarify? Were they loading their car with lunches they received from the school? Schools can't discriminate, the funding is for all. Or were they taking a shipment of food that was delivered to the school, before the school was able to unload it and bring it inside?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:37 pm
I have no idea of what was going on but I would assume that if you leave boxes of food unattended at night in New York City someone is going to take the food.

If the school felt the food should be safe guarded, they wouldn’t have left it there.

As others have posted, who would leave food without protection as that seems dangerous because someone crazy could contaminate it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OP can you clarify? Were they loading their car with lunches they received from the school? Schools can't discriminate, the funding is for all. Or were they taking a shipment of food that was delivered to the school, before the school was able to unload it and bring it inside?
I don't know how the usual distribution works, but DH saw box of apples, box of cucumbers and other boxes that were covered so he couldn't see what was in it. This was at 7 pm or a little later. Do they deliver to people that late? I guess it's possible that the school told them to take leftovers, but it seemed like a lot, and it should have gone first to Jewish people who need it. Do they give boxes of produce to Jewish people during the day? Or is individual meal per person?

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:46 pm
seems to me like they had an overflow and left it there for ppl in need to take, no? Why would they get a food delivery, at night, outside their door? and expect it to be there I nthe morning?

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:48 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Many Jews dont "look" Jewish. Women can be wearing pants and men dont wear kippahs. So how do you know that they are non-Jewish? And why do you care if people take food if they need it?

Jewdar exists.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:51 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
seems to me like they had an overflow and left it there for ppl in need to take, no? Why would they get a food delivery, at night, outside their door? and expect it to be there I nthe morning?

Exactly.
Not to mention if I was picking up food I'd never take stuff that had been sitting out for any amount of time without supervision. You just never know. It goes against any and all food safety policies.

I'm sure it was an overflow and these people had been told they could take especially if they were loading up Van's with crates.

But, if you are really concerned, call the school and report it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:53 pm
If it was left unattended, it's free for all.
Perhaps they're employed in the school and were told they may take it? Or they were asked to take it from point A to point B.
School meals are government funded, they cannot discriminate. But no schools are giving out cases of produce. Maybe these cases were left overs and they left it outside for people to take.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:54 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Maybe one of them is a school employee and was told to take what's left at night for their own family/ friends.

This is what I would say

Reality

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:12 pm
I would call the school.

Schools and restaurants get cases of food delivered by their service entries all the time. It could be for so many reasons why it was left unattended.

Only the school knows if it was extra or if someone was stealing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics