Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Book rec for ten year old who doesn’t like to read
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:15 am
We’re all big readers, but my ten year old daughter doesn’t really like most books. She says she doesn’t like to read, but she’ll read Diary of a Wimpy Kid books over and over. She also likes the Shikufitzky books. I’d love to get her some new books, so she’s not reading the same ones over and over again... any ideas of what else she might like?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:31 am
Gordon Korman books are fun, and he writes for all different ages/levels.

Lemonade wars maybe.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:31 am
Not Jewish books. But I found the tintin series to help my son who didn’t like to read. It’s like the shikufitzky family pictures with a few words (not sure what these books are called) but higher level words.

amother
Green

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:33 am
Does she like Gadi Pollak’s Comics? They are a bit more advanced than shikufitzky.
Would she read more if you read together?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:44 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Gordon Korman books are fun, and he writes for all different ages/levels.

Lemonade wars maybe.

Ooh I love Gordon Korman. What would be a good easy one to start with? Remember she doesn’t like reading long books Confused

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:46 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Does she like Gadi Pollak’s Comics? They are a bit more advanced than shikufitzky.
Would she read more if you read together?

That’s an interesting idea.. haven’t read with her in awhile. For the most part though, I need books for her to read while she’s trying to fall asleep, which can take awhile, so me reading to her is not so feasible then.

Stars

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:46 am
Try finding out why she doesn't like to read. Maybe it's easily fixable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:47 am
Stars wrote:
Try finding out why she doesn't like to read. Maybe it's easily fixable.

She still likes pictures... I think she gets bored from just lots of words without pictures. She’ll read The Circle magazine and the Aim.

Stars

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She still likes pictures... I think she gets bored from just lots of words without pictures. She’ll read The Circle magazine and the Aim.

Then don't push her, imho. She'll be ready when she's ready.

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:53 am
Tell her she should start the book in the middle and read one page.

There will be things she won't understand, so she should go back and solve the questions she has, read just enough to understand what it's about.

Then skip a few chapters, do the same...

You could also ask her questions and tell her to try and find the answers in the book.... (if you read the books) e.g. who is xy (name of main charakter) is he nice? what does he do? who is (name of other main character)...

She doesn't have to read the book in order. She just should get enough of an idea of the contents so that she can write the report...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:57 am
Stars wrote:
Then don't push her, imho. She'll be ready when she's ready.

You’re right, but there are times that she ends up reading - before bed for example - and then she complains she has nothing to read. When the library was open it was easier, because we could just get a few books and maybe one would interest her. Now that we’re buying books, I’d like to try to find something that I think she’ll actually read.

monseymom25

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:26 am
What are her other interests? Does she like sports? Science? Animals? Geographh? crafts? Maybe she will enjoy nonfiction books. Try to get her books on the subjects which likes.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:31 am
Gordan Korman's great but there'll reach a point where you'll want to stop. (Though one of his newest books, about this kid who ends up convalescing at his father's home in Canada was very retro. Also, I don't think OP's daughter is reading on that level yet. Maybe the very early books.)

There's a frum series called The Achdus Club by Faygie Holt. Also, Chanie Altein's Mimi books. I could come up with more if these sound good.

thriver

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:33 am
Pippi Longstocking

Mrs. Pigglewiggle

What I’ve found helpful is start by reading the book to the child and then once she is intrigued, let her continue on her own.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:41 am
Bina Loebel's Diary, by Ruchama Feuerman. A frum book written well. Very readable, mega cute cover.

Stuart Gibbs books. The Spy School books, the Funjungle Books, and the space series. Readable, engaging, funny.

The Harry Potter books. I know, counter intuitive. But my non-reading 10 year old who sounds a lot like yours went right through these happily. She thought they would be too hard and confusing, but the series is great at starting at a low level and length and raising it book by book once you're already invested in the plot.

behappy2

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:45 am
Easy to read is The Weird School Daze series by Dan Guttman. My son has a hard time reading and can read this.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Bina Loebel's Diary, by Ruchama Feuerman. A frum book written well. Very readable, mega cute cover.

Stuart Gibbs books. The Spy School books, the Funjungle Books, and the space series. Readable, engaging, funny.

The Harry Potter books. I know, counter intuitive. But my non-reading 10 year old who sounds a lot like yours went right through these happily. She thought they would be too hard and confusing, but the series is great at starting at a low level and length and raising it book by book once you're already invested in the plot.

Came on here to suggest this. But maybe you start out reading it to her chapter by chapter until she's intrigued enough to continue on her own.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

The first one looks really cute, but so much more expensive than non Jewish books! I’ll wait for school to open and encourage her to get it from the school library.

We have the Harry Potter books but she tried them and didn’t like 🤷🏼‍♀️

Going to check out the others you mentioned. Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:58 am
Just ordered a few books. Hopefully she’ll like at least one and I can get the rest in the series. Thanks for all the recommendations!

paperflowers

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 11:03 am
Brian Selznick. He wrote Hugo, a novel told through words and illustrations. I think he has another book (series?) that is similar.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children