Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Tzena U’Rena
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:26 am
I think Artscroll produced a translation a few years ago.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 3:03 am
Does Lehmanns have it I can't find it.

hotzenplotz

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:54 am
tigerwife wrote:
So- do you learn Tzena Urena?
Is there a specific print you recommend?

I smiled when I saw someone on another thread mention that she learns it daily. I think it’s beautiful to learn what so many of our grandmothers did and realized I have very little knowledge of what the sefer covers. Is it originally in Yiddish or Hebrew?

Hello! you also made me smile. I read tzena Urena and enjoy it so much!!
I thought I am the only one left reading it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:02 am
CiCi wrote:
Many Yiddish speaking kallahs don't get Tzena Irena's anymore like they used to give for every kallah.
Why only kallahs? My chassidish cousins learned the tzena u'rena in school, im almost sure, ut this was back at least 25 years ago.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why only kallahs? My chassidish cousins learned the tzena u'rena in school, im almost sure, ut this was back at least 25 years ago.

I highly doubt it. TR has a lot of explicit content a bit inappropriate for a school age girl. And if it was a yiddish speaking school, it would be interesting if they did.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:18 pm
CiCi wrote:
Many Yiddish speaking kallahs don't get Tzena Irena's anymore like they used to give for every kallah.

In our circles, EVERY kallahs gets it. The new issue though is, kallahs now prefer the tfillak b'kavana kallah set and TR is not included there so it needs to be purchased seperately from either kafter or tiferes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I highly doubt it. TR has a lot of explicit content a bit inappropriate for a school age girl. And if it was a yiddish speaking school, it would be interesting if they did.
So interesting. I remember the father telling us that certain stories were removed so as not to have any explicate stories for the girls.
I will find out. I was sure it was the tzena urena, but maybe it was something else.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:22 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
So interesting. I remember the father telling us that certain stories were removed so as not to have any explicate stories for the girls.
I will find out. I was sure it was the tzena urena, but maybe it was something else.

The explicit content is few and far inbetween. They probably only had selections from each parsha in any case.
Curious about which school this is.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:27 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The explicit content is few and far inbetween. They probably only had selections from each parsha in any case.

I read TR as a teen. This is where I confirmed many of the suspicions I had about things done in marriage as intimacy, childbirth and more. At least it was a holy source.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I read TR as a teen. This is where I confirmed many of the suspicions I had about things done in marriage as intimacy, childbirth and more. At least it was a holy source.

the Torah is holy, and should be our primary source. I think it's wonderful that you confirmed your questions with the source. Though I wish you had a real person to ask questions as well.

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:57 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I never heard of any Chassidishe school teaching the tzena rena. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just never heard of such a thing. We learned the parsha and mefurshim in Yiddish but it wasn't read in the tzena rena. We wrote notes... I'm not sure where the teachers took the mefurshim from, maybe it was direct from the tzena rena so that school called the subject "tzena rena" instead of parsha...

Last edited by CiCi on Tue, May 05 2020, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
In our circles, EVERY kallahs gets it. The new issue though is, kallahs now prefer the tfillak b'kavana kallah set and TR is not included there so it needs to be purchased seperately from either kafter or tiferes.

I guess it depends on the kehilla/Chassidus...

When I purchased the siddur/tehillim set for my DIL (I assume it was the tefillah b'kavanah set, I don't remember what it was called) I asked the store owner if people purchase the tzena rena seperately he said some do and some dont. My husband asked someone with previous experience marrying off kids what they do in our Chassidus and he was told that no one buys it anymore.

My daughter didn't get it either and my SIL's family comes from a completely different Chassidus.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 4:45 pm
I have tzena urena in Russian! Cool
It‘s like Midrash mesaper, haven‘t seen nothing explicit there

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:10 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
no idea what school.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I have tzena urena in Russian! Cool
It‘s like Midrash mesaper, haven‘t seen nothing explicit there

A little more...
Znus that went on...
Yehudah and Tamar
Yosef and Potifar
Shaul and Batsheva...etc..

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:58 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Wow, I’m surprised I had no idea that it was a parsha compilation. I always thought it was divrei musar or philosophy for women. Like a Mesilas Yesharim.

Me too

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Me too

It's actually a very interesting read, at least according to me, the one who as a kid read through all yiddish text in her father's weekly chuk (the yellow soft cover single weekly volume, for those that remmeber).

tigerwife

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Wow! I never knew that. My mom had one volume, and I read that as a kid, but it somehow seemed more thorough than the Tzena Urena I got when I got married, though also easy and light. I think I started reading it when I was 9 or so.
And, I found it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b5e47

So can anyone answer if this copy includes the original yiddish as well as the English translation?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
A little more...
Znus that went on...
Yehudah and Tamar
Yosef and Potifar
Shaul and Batsheva...etc..

I don't call that explicit and would feel comfotable having young kids read that.
Do you call the Aseres Hadiboros and 3 harog val yaavor explicit?
My Megillas Rus is missing a few pages where these kind of 'explicit' details are probably written about. I know it must be a printing malfunction, but its kind of funny...
PS. Its Must be a temp senior moment: Its Dovid and Batsheva.

mommy9

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:10 am
tigerwife wrote:
So can anyone answer if this copy includes the original yiddish as well as the English translation?

It only has English.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational