Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Boca Raton, Florida
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:45 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
So why wasn't this publicized in NY/NJ??
If they want people to know about it, it needs to be publicized. I did not see it on any of the Jewish news Instagram accounts or publicized anywhere else.
Why are jews that live in Florida renting out vacation homes?
And if someone owns a house in Florida and pays taxes to Florida, they are a resident and technically can't be told not to go.

It was on all the the Jewish new sites and passed around on WhatsApp groups. It was posted on imamother. I don't know of people renting out home in Florida since no one was going anywhere, so their homes were not vacant. Airbnb was not renting anything.

You keep repeating that technically this and legally that. And once again I will repeat that even if something is technically within the law it doesn't make it a yashrusdig thing to do.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
It was on all the the Jewish new sites and passed around on WhatsApp groups. It was posted on imamother. I don't know of people renting out home in Florida since no one was going anywhere, so their homes were not vacant. Airbnb was not renting anything.

You keep repeating that technically this and legally that. And once again I will repeat that even if something is technically within the law it doesn't make it a yashrusdig thing to do.

People own second homes that they're renting out. And there are the Jewish rental companies that own many homes and they're renting them out.
I did not see it on any Jewish news sights.
And not everyone is on imamother or has Instagram and WhatsApp. So I guess it wasn't properly publicized. (I didn't see it on imamother. I blocked the Corona threads, maybe it was posted there.)
Why isn't it yashrusdig to travel if you're staying quarantined? You're not coming in contact with any people.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:51 pm
I have a house in Boca. Would have liked to go down, but I don't think it's the right thing. The Rabbanim have made it clear NYorkers should not be there now.

I tested positive 2 weeks ago. Turns out, that had we gone when we wanted to, we would have probably brought the virus down with us. Even if we were in quarantine, there are still iteractions with the outside that bring risk. STAY HOME. You are actively fighting the spread.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:53 pm
Banging head

Ok babyblue you are right! If there's no law about it, people can do whatever they want. Halacha is irrelevant. If you didn't know about a psak, it doesn't exist. The only important thing is that everyone does whatever they want as long as it isn't illegal by US law.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Banging head

Ok babyblue you are right! If there's no law about it, people can do whatever they want. Halacha is irrelevant. If you didn't know about a psak, it doesn't exist. The only important thing is that everyone does whatever they want as long as it isn't illegal by US law.

Where does halacha come in here?
When did I say the p'sak doesn't exist??
All I said was I didn't hear about it and I asked If the p'sak is still in effect.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:01 am
Where does halacha come in here?
When did I say the p'sak doesn't exist??
All I said was I didn't hear about it and I asked If the p'sak is still in effect.

It was on yeshiva world news. Vos iz neias. Matzav.

A statement regarding Pesach was also sent out by the Rabbinical Alliance of America, the Orthodox Union, Agudath Israel of America, the Rabbinical Council of America, Young Israel, and The lakewood Vaad. They told everyone to cancel travel for pesach.

You should contact them to find out if the psak is still in effect. I'm going to guess that since the numbers in NY have gone UP drastically since the psak was issued, and have not dropped sufficiently, anyone with a brain would recognize that it's still relevant. The point was not pesach, the point was traveling during a pandemic.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:07 am
You are not supposed to travel unnecessarily. They cannot make it illegal without instituting Marshall law but it is the closest thing to a travel ban we have right now.

If people are too dumb or selfish and probably purposely ignorant because they rather be in Florida, it doesn't mean it's okay to travel. It means they can't arrest you but it's still a very selfish thing to do.

Everyone encouraging op right now are probably the same people who think quarantine means going four times to the grocery as long as they have a mask.

Everyone running to travel now just know you are a dissapointment to klal yisroel. You prioritize your recreation and convenience over lives and the transgression of chilul Hashem.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:24 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
You are not supposed to travel unnecessarily. They cannot make it illegal without instituting Marshall law but it is the closest thing to a travel ban we have right now.

If people are too dumb or selfish and probably purposely ignorant because they rather be in Florida, it doesn't mean it's okay to travel. It means they can't arrest you but it's still a very selfish thing to do.

Everyone encouraging op right now are probably the same people who think quarantine means going four times to the grocery as long as they have a mask.

Everyone running to travel now just know you are a dissapointment to klal yisroel. You prioritize your recreation and convenience over lives and the transgression of chilul Hashem.

Op here. HOW DARE YOU AND ALL OTHER POSTERS who came on MY thread bash me. Again, you have no idea why I may need to go to Florida. And ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I asked a question, I am entitled to get an answer without being bashed. I asked MORE THAN ONCE FOR PEOPLE TO SKIP THIS THREAD IF THEY HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY. it is none of ANYONE'S business. You ppl gotta chill and learn to be DLZ.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here. HOW DARE YOU AND ALL OTHER POSTERS who came on MY thread bash me. Again, you have no idea why I may need to go to Florida. And ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I asked a question, I am entitled to get an answer without being bashed. I asked MORE THAN ONCE FOR PEOPLE TO SKIP THIS THREAD IF THEY HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY. it is none of ANYONE'S business. You ppl gotta chill and learn to be DLZ.

This is a global issue and a very serious one and we are all involved and affected. This is not a you issue and a decision that will only affect you.

And you can't actually control who responds to a particular thread even if you are the op.

The truth doesn't always feel nice but it doesn't make it any less true.

mig100

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:28 am
flowerpower wrote:
I see you’re losing sleep over this. I learnt something in life that goes as follows- I can’t control the world but I can work on controlling myself. So with that thought in mind my blood pressure stays where is should be.

This

Yep. That's the key to life that so many people are missing

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 6:50 am
Many people that are in Florida went there due to their mental health. They live in small apartments with many children and they are all going crazy. That is no less important than physical health. And I know that the Floridians are very happy to be able to stimulate the economy by renting out their homes and having outsiders shopping! Maybe before pesach They were told not to but now already definitely!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:18 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Many people that are in Florida went there due to their mental health. They live in small apartments with many children and they are all going crazy. That is no less important than physical health. And I know that the Floridians are very happy to be able to stimulate the economy by renting out their homes and having outsiders shopping! Maybe before pesach They were told not to but now already definitely!

Most Floridians don’t own rental apartments or work in the food business and DO NOT want the virus being spread. So stop justifying yourself with this nonsense. You are not doing anyone any favours - you are acting out of purely selfish self interest. At least acknowledge it.

I get that being in a small apartment with a lot of kids is hard. Yes mental health is important. But it doesn’t entitle you to come to Florida and endanger our community.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:20 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

Thank you

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:27 am

Spoken by someone who probably doesn’t live in south Florida. Yes it would be nice to save the economy, but you have to be alive to enjoy it. Most Floridians are actually more concerned about the spread of the virus.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:32 am
mig100 wrote:
This

Yep. That's the key to life that so many people are missing

Dont worry, I got a great night of sleep last night Smile

ImmaBubby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:34 am
Also, nobody should ignore the chillul HaShem factor here. Frum Jews always stand out (as we should) but here in sunny, hot Florida even more. People know their neighbors, and non jews know who the “guests” are.
I have children in apartments up north that would do anything to escape, but they don’t want to endanger anyone’s health.
People are being creative about their entertainment these days.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:36 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Most Floridians don’t own rental apartments or work in the food business and DO NOT want the virus being spread. So stop justifying yourself with this nonsense. You are not doing anyone any favours - you are acting out of purely selfish self interest. At least acknowledge it.

I get that being in a small apartment with a lot of kids is hard. Yes mental health is important. But it doesn’t entitle you to come to Florida and endanger our community.

You just said the most important word in this entire discussion.

Those who come to Florida from other areas feel entitled to place their whims and desires over other people's health and lives.

Entitlement.

And here, OP proves it:
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She is entitled to say what she wants without being bashed, to ask for help putting others' lives at risk.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:37 am
This is not for you to say.

It is most definitely for her to say.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:41 am
Can someone give a calm logical explanation why a family driving from NY to florida and staying in a house there without leaving (bringing all groceries with them) is a problem?
Please dont jump down my throat. I am home in ny and strict with sd but I have plenty of friends who have gone down and I don't really see the problem with it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:51 am
Many people that are in Florida went there due to their mental health. They live in small apartments with many children and they are all going crazy. That is no less important than physical health. And I know that the Floridians are very happy to be able to stimulate the economy by renting out their homes and having outsiders shopping! Myaybe before pesach They were told not to but now already definitely!

I'm of the camp everyone should mind their own business. BUT it's offensive to say that they need it for their mental health. I also need to do a lot of things right now for my mental health that I can't do because of the pandemic. Many people are squished in small apartments with no cleaning help and making do.
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics