Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Remote learning for the future
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 8:34 am
So much no.
Like myself, my kids learn visually. They’re in a frum school that is using phone systems not zoom and they’re having an awful time. They absolutely cannot continue like this and be expected to learn anything.

I will have to take over equaling homeschooling which I’m not set up for and have my own work that won’t allow me that time.

So much no.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 8:36 am
Remote learning would also eliminate the pain kids face when they are not accepted to schools and dont have schools to attend as there would be enough space for all kids to attend school if done remotely.

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:01 am
Simple1 wrote:
No. Many kids learn best when all their senses are engaged, when they can see and feel the enthusiasm of the teacher, experience the live interaction between students and teachers. School gives good structure without the distractions of siblings and home life.

Ok that said, I disagree with a lot of the school system as is now. But distance learning is not the answer.

This. This. This. This. It's either homeschool with a family that is in it to win it.... Or school. A brick and mortar school.

This government is so repulsive. Gates should choke on a peanut. His road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Cuomo is a rich spoiled fool. As are allllll the politicians sitting in their ivy towers. Every single corrupt one of them.

We need a leader who actually loves mankind. Mashiach Ben Yosef and Mashiach Ben David come to mind.

I'm usually a very positive poster. But to see how the balance of power is just completely shifting is terrifying. Please Hashem should turn this world right side up.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:32 am
westchester torah academy in westchester is a school that when you attend you do a portion online
the school is much lower tuition since they do not have to hire so many teachers it is located in the 10583 with nice homes a nice shul and kosher supermarkets and restaurants

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:36 am
For now I like the idea. Having my children home is making me reevaluate my school choice. I can’t see myself sending them back there. There isn’t much diversity in options where I live so it’s hard to know what I’d prefer.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:41 am
Simple1 wrote:
Homeschoolers make it work. But that requires a total commitment and is different from remote learning.

Homeschooling is SO different than distance learning.
Homeschooling works when you put effort into it. When you make sure that you give your kids a multi-sensory approach, and give them lessons and classes outside the house. When you provide adequate socialization. Distance learning isn’t providing any of that.

aliavi

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:43 am
Public schools are not effective. They cost an astronomical amount per child. We could get the money per child that our states don’t have to spend, get the property tax savings, and then work part time while our children are learning kodesh. That’s my grand plan. Food can be dropped off or food stamps increased for those that qualify. Therapy can still be paid for by the district or through expanded health insurance.

Zoom isn’t the only format for teaching. It’s made for meetings not schooling. There are great comprehensive programs that have teacher access. Kids adjust.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:49 am
None of the frum schools will allow this. It's not gonna happen in the frum schools. Period. End of story. End of sentence.
I'm really worried about the future of the world. I'm scared.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
westchester torah academy in westchester is a school that when you attend you do a portion online
the school is much lower tuition since they do not have to hire so many teachers it is located in the 10583 with nice homes a nice shul and kosher supermarkets and restaurants

Saying it as politely as possible, WTA's teaching methodology is not for everyone. Many come, Many go; Teachers and students alike. On the positive side they did drive tuition down at competing Yeshivot.

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:59 am
This is literally the worst idea. I don’t even mind having my kids home now, but to do this long term post corona? Why on earth? Kids need the social aspect of school, and the average student doesn’t learn as well remotely. I’m not certain what Mama Bear meant about being worried for the future of the world, but I feel the same way, as in what is technology doing to human interaction and relationships? Attending an actual school is such an integral part of a healthy childhood.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:02 am
giselle wrote:
This is literally the worst idea. I don’t even mind having my kids home now, but to do this long term post corona? Why on earth? Kids need the social aspect of school, and the average student doesn’t learn as well remotely. I’m not certain what Mama Bear meant about being worried for the future of the world, but I feel the same way, as in what is technology doing to human interaction and relationships? Attending an actual school is such an integral part of a healthy childhood.

But I wish certain things were different...

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

Oh I’m sure, but we’ll still choose real school over remote learning any day.

Curious, what would you like to see done differently?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:27 am
elisheva25 wrote:
This is insane !
Yeshivos can’t do this, parents can’t do this.
What is he thinking ?
Our lives have to be committed to teaching our kids all day? everyday ?
The Jewish community must lobby against this or open underground.....this can’t be our future

Are you thinking this through, we cant afford tuition as it is with the bussing, lunches , security, technology and other funding we get from the govt...

How on earth are we going to go underground and PAY FOR EVERYTHING

Show me the money

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Remote learning would also eliminate the pain kids face when they are not accepted to schools and dont have schools to attend as there would be enough space for all kids to attend school if done remotely.

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:02 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Are you thinking this through, we cant afford tuition as it is with the bussing, lunches , security, technology and other funding we get from the govt...

How on earth are we going to go underground and PAY FOR EVERYTHING

Show me the money

You are right I am not thinking it through
It’s a emotional response .
But this world has gone mad !!!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:07 pm
Nope nope nope. My kids go to a MO school that I’m paying over 60K and this whole online thing has been a disaster. I do not feel like my kids are getting what they deserve. Teachers giving assignments and then leaving the rest up to the students is not teaching. Being available only through email for questions. What?! I understand wanting the students to be more independent, but moving to online makes me afraid for the lack of oversight.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

My big boys are back to school sort of but with way less hours and the down time is great for them. I also wish we can go back to my moms type of schooling: one BY for all with More diversity... less homework, more useful learning... idk

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:22 pm
distance learning isnt even working well now, why on earth would it work well long term???
the frum schools arent even allowing it now in a state of emergency, its never gonna happen in times of non emergency.

giselle wrote:

EXACTLY. Kids today are growing up as zombies with their phones. Relationships arent real. Attention spans are non existent. And they wanna park the kids in front of a laptop for hours on end? Post apocalyptic zombie films are about to get real. And the kids will be the zombies.

No thank you.

In any case, I can breathe easier, as this is just not gonna happen in the jewish schools.
Or teh special ed schools.

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
New York is working with the Gates Foundation to “reimagine” education in the post-COVID era. They plan on implementing "remote learning" so the kids can stay home and learn online instead of going to a brick and mortar building. Would you want that for your children? Do you think it would work out long term if the kids dont go to school?

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/.....p0noY

Absolutely NO.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Nope nope nope. My kids go to a MO school that I’m paying over 60K and this whole online thing has been a disaster. I do not feel like my kids are getting what they deserve. Teachers giving assignments and then leaving the rest up to the students is not teaching. Being available only through email for questions. What?! I understand wanting the students to be more independent, but moving to online makes me afraid for the lack of oversight.

Amen. Why pay for zoom school... Im paying my tuition this year. But there's going to need to be very well thought out systems, support in place if they think I'll register next year. It needs to be dynamic and engaging and using all the resources the internet offers. Not just zoom and read and respond... I'd rather pay a rebbe for the kodesh and homeschool the chol.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics