Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Remote learning for the future
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

keym

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:41 pm
1) if the teachers unions are against this, it will never happen.
2) for special needs children, behavioral anyone with an IEP, this is not feasible, and probably not legal to force.
3) with that said, I'd love to see schools, especially yeshivish ones incorporate more technology to enhance the classroom.
Tablet, interactive math or science review. The teacher would work with half the class, while the other half is engaged technologically and then switch.

But 1000% no in place of a brick and mortar physical education and social experience.

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:50 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
My big boys are back to school sort of but with way less hours and the down time is great for them. I also wish we can go back to my moms type of schooling: one BY for all with More diversity... less homework, more useful learning... idk

What are they doing during the down time? Would love ideas!

giselle

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Remote learning would also eliminate the pain kids face when they are not accepted to schools and dont have schools to attend as there would be enough space for all kids to attend school if done remotely.

While this is a very serious issue, this isn’t the answer.

cnc

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:57 pm
Absolutely not.
Options for distance learning already existed before this pandemic and people that want it have that option.

In no way can this become standard.

Stars

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:00 pm
No!! Just no. This is taking all of my kishkes out.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:19 pm
keym wrote:
1) if the teachers unions are against this, it will never happen.
2) for special needs children, behavioral anyone with an IEP, this is not feasible, and probably not legal to force.
3) with that said, I'd love to see schools, especially yeshivish ones incorporate more technology to enhance the classroom.
Tablet, interactive math or science review. The teacher would work with half the class, while the other half is engaged technologically and then switch.

But 1000% no in place of a brick and mortar physical education and social experience.

If the school makes the students 'engage with technology' and then switch back to engaging with a 'Nefesh' it should be a fraction of the tuition of schools that allow students to experience the interactive nature of working with living and breathing students and teachers all day long. I just don't see a need to pay a school to have my child sit in front of and be taught by a computer when they can just as easily sit in front of and be taught by a computer at home.

Time in school interacting with teachers and other students is very valuable and, in addition to teaching students, helps build character and social skills. How many of you sit behind a computer all day and look forward to human interaction? Why would you put your children in the same position?

mha3484

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:26 pm
I had a child in a theraputic placement that had mutli age classrooms. The teacher would work one one one with the boys during the day to teach them their grade level. He would do second grade math with my son and the other boys would be reviewing their math on kahn academy with chrome books. Then he would work with a kid in 4th grade and my son would reinforce what he learned earlier in the day. It can work when done correctly but it cant be the main method of teaching.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:41 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I had a child in a theraputic placement that had mutli age classrooms. The teacher would work one one one with the boys during the day to teach them their grade level. He would do second grade math with my son and the other boys would be reviewing their math on kahn academy with chrome books. Then he would work with a kid in 4th grade and my son would reinforce what he learned earlier in the day. It can work when done correctly but it cant be the main method of teaching.

When I was in school that reinforcement was called homework. If the school/teacher wants to have the student do it via a computer at home that's fine but don't waste valuable teacher time having a student staring at a computer screen.

But, I can see therapeutic placement being a special case.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe both parents wouldnt have to work because both tuition and taxes would be cheaper. Paying for internet and computers is cheaper than paying for brick and mortar buildings (where the schools have to pay mortgages, utilties, maintenance, etc) so tuition would automatically be cheaper.
And public schools kids would be learning from home which would lower our taxes as well so only one parent would need to work to cover the bills while the other parent could stay at home with the kids and ensure that the remote learning is being done.

And what if both parents WANT to work????!!! Do we live in a democracy where we get free choices regarding whether we get to work or not???!! Sadly, it seems that at the rate things are going, we might not be able to make our own choices anymore in the near future.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:45 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
And what if both parents WANT to work????!!! Do we live in a democracy where we get free choices regarding whether we get to work or not???!! Sadly, it seems that at the rate things are going, we might not be able to make our own choices anymore in the near future.

I'm guessing -- and its just a guess -- that NYC, at least, would not adopt any program that would have kids at home outside current school hours. Too many single working parents, or two income families. Too many kids living in shelters not open during the day. NYC almost never closes schools for snow, even, for these reasons. Its also why DiBlasio was so slow to want to close schools for covid19.

trixx

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:56 pm
You guys are all missing the point.

Bill Gates is making this happen.

We are all screwed.

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:07 pm
trixx wrote:
You guys are all missing the point.

Bill Gates is making this happen.

We are all screwed.

I actually am starting to believe this myself. I went from being a skeptic to a believer. Next time you see a lady leave the house with her face mask and foil helmet .... Its me.

trixx

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:16 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I actually am starting to believe this myself. I went from being a skeptic to a believer. Next time you see a lady leave the house with her face mask and foil helmet .... Its me.

Like I said on another thread. Tell me something that seems more plausible than the insane conspiracy theories. I'm very happy to NOT be a crazy but I really can't find a convincing argument against it.

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:22 pm
trixx wrote:
Like I said on another thread. Tell me something that seems more plausible than the insane conspiracy theories. I'm very happy to NOT be a crazy but I really can't find a convincing argument against it.

Even if this pandemic wasn't started intentionally ... It doesn't mean that there aren't some very evil opportunists looking to cash in on it. And the small thinkers go for face mask guaging ... While our higher level thinkers go for world domination.

tryinghard

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 6:00 pm
I’m actually enamored of the idea of a hybrid homeschool co-op distance learning situation. Several families together, combined with a distance learning program somehow

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 8:54 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

That’s the problem, seems like democracy days are over ..... or maybe it was always an illusion

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:01 pm
avrahamama wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fe.....7PVU8

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:10 pm
There are many states that have on - line learning already, for years.
This nothing new. In my state it’s called virtual school.
The student must be VERY disciplined

trixx

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:27 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
There are many states that have on - line learning already, for years.
This nothing new. In my state it’s called virtual school.
The student must be VERY disciplined

OK good luck then with all the kids from poor/minorities/ghetto /whatever word won't offend you to describe the high crime neighborhoods in NYC

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:46 pm
trixx wrote:
OK good luck then with all the kids from poor/minorities/ghetto /whatever word won't offend you to describe the high crime neighborhoods in NYC

Some of those kids would be fabulous. Others wouldn’t be.

Just like yeshiva bochurs.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics