Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do you tell your child?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:37 am
I was told about my period at a normal age (before I got it but not too young). Everything else I found out from others pretty much... I found out abt s*x because I asked a question in class in seventh grade relating to what we were learning (how did David ‘lay’ with Batsheva and have a baby?) and the room got silent and my friend ended up telling me all about s*x when I slept over that week. I though ewwww lol but figured now I knew it all. When I was in high school, I made a comment in class that showed my lack of knowledge of milvah.
I want to shelter my children, not tell them everything when they’re a young child. But how do you do it without them going thru the embarrassing moments I did?
What do you do?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:45 am
Nowadays you can't shelter them too much.
I have told my kids that if they have any questions, they should come and ask me. Someone else may just give them the wrong answer. I know because been there done that.
I make it very clear, any questions no matter what, no matter how silly it may sound, they should ask me.
If anyone makes a comment that they're not sure what it means.... Come and ask me.
Also, I told them not to join in any discussions in class concerning periods and related stuff. They can listen so as not to seem like they're snobby, but don't get involved.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:48 am
You can shelter them all you want, but just be prepared for them to learn things (sometimes incorrectly) from their friends. This is what happened to my daughter. She was misinformed when she was 8....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics