Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
ISO canon point and shoot camera for professional pictures
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 12:59 pm
I'm looking to buy an easy to operate canon point and shoot camera that can do professional grade pictures for simchas and portraits.

small bean

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 1:13 pm
I don't know much about cameras but I have gotten good cameras directly from cannon.com. They are having a sale right now.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm looking to buy an easy to operate canon point and shoot camera that can do professional grade pictures for simchas and portraits.

Not gonna happen.
Your not going to get professional grade images with a point and shoot.

You can get a consumer user friendly DSLR for beginners which should be easy to operate, but also give you the ability to play around should you wish.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There's a reason why professionals use professional cameras. There's also a reason why people hire professionals.

Having said all that, point and shoot cameras and amateurs can deliver beautiful results - but not necessarily professional grade.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:57 pm
cbsp wrote:
There's a reason why professionals use professional cameras. There's also a reason why people hire professionals.

Having said all that, point and shoot cameras and amateurs can deliver beautiful results - but not necessarily professional grade.

At least the closest I can get. I'm not getting satisfactory pictures with my elph.

asmileaday

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At least the closest I can get. I'm not getting satisfactory pictures with my elph.

I believe elph is a point and shoot. If you want something more you may need a dslr.
I got a Rebel SL2 and I'm positive I'm not utilizing it to its professional potential but it gives me stunning portraits. I'm learning more about it all the time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:08 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I believe elph is a point and shoot. If you want something more you may need a dslr.
I got a Rebel SL2 and I'm positive I'm not utilizing it to its professional potential but it gives me stunning portraits. I'm learning more about it all the time.

Does it have the option of working as a point and shoot and still give good pics?

asmileaday

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does it have the option of working as a point and shoot and still give good pics?

Yes I can put it on automatic.
Once you have it and Google around a bit it's easy to learn different techniques like how to control the aperture in portraits to get that blurred background.

gande

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:32 pm
Yes any rebel slr series has an auto mode and takes great pictures. If you invest in a special lense you can get even better ones. You can get slr used or refurbished or old model they are very sturdy for very good price

CiCi

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:20 pm
Any camera set on auto will not give you professional results, particularly indoors. You can get good results with a point and shoot if it has an option to set it manually. But with most point and shoot cameras, unless they are very expensive ones with large sensors, will not give you professional results.

The best point and shoot camera you can get today under $1000 is the G7x mark 2 (cost is $500). That is a fantastic point and shoot. It's also much better than the Canon G9x mk2 because the g7x has a much better lens ( many people think it's a similar camera so I'm pointing out that it's better). I don't recommend using the flash unless it's very dark and you can barely see with your eyes what you shooting. Otherwise I wouldn't use flash, (maybe only sometimes as a fill flash outdoors in daylight). To get the best results you still need to know how to daily in the setting, especially indoors. In good lighting outdoors, the auto setting can work well in most instances. Again though, you need to know what settings to set it up at.

Larger sensor cameras, like the Rebel SL3 can get you pro results but indoors and low light photos you must have an external flash and the right lens. You may get good photos but not better than the G7x mk2 if you don't have a good lens, an external flash and you put it on auto. If you only but the camera with the kit lens then the g7x mk2 is just as good an option.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:44 pm
If you decide to invest in a dslr, the canon rebel t7i is a really good camera and I personally took a basic photography course to learn how to use mine and I was very happy with it. It was by Raizy Ciment of vivid Studios.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:49 pm
CiCi wrote:
Any camera set on auto will not give you professional results, particularly indoors. You can get good results with a point and shoot if it has an option to set it manually. But with most point and shoot cameras, unless they are very expensive ones with large sensors, will not give you professional results.

The best point and shoot camera you can get today under $1000 is the G7x mark 2 (cost is $500). That is a fantastic point and shoot. It's also much better than the Canon G9x mk2 because the g7x has a much better lens ( many people think it's a similar camera so I'm pointing out that it's better). I don't recommend using the flash unless it's very dark and you can barely see with your eyes what you shooting. Otherwise I wouldn't use flash, (maybe only sometimes as a fill flash outdoors in daylight). To get the best results you still need to know how to daily in the setting, especially indoors. In good lighting outdoors, the auto setting can work well in most instances. Again though, you need to know what settings to set it up at.

Larger sensor cameras, like the Rebel SL3 can get you pro results but indoors and low light photos you must have an external flash and the right lens. You may get good photos but not better than the G7x mk2 if you don't have a good lens, an external flash and you put it on auto. If you only but the camera with the kit lens then the g7x mk2 is just as good an option.

That's too much jargon for me. In plain english, what do you recommend?

Simple1

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:54 pm
A good camera will not guarantee good results. It's more about using it skillfully. Simchas are harder because indoor lighting is tricky. So you will not only need the good camera, but also a professional flash and accessories.

(Outdoors, a good photographer can often get nice shots with any camera.)

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

WADR, if that's too much jargon for you, you're not going to be getting professional grade pictures. There's a reason the pros spend the money on the equipment that they have, and invest the time to learn how to use it to produce the results they get. If you want nice-looking pictures, get a Pixel or iPhone. If you want professional quality, be prepared to invest both money and time.

CiCi

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:09 pm
Simple1 wrote:
A good camera will not guarantee good results. It's more about using it skillfully. Simchas are harder because indoor lighting is tricky. So you will not only need the good camera, but also a professional flash and accessories.

(Outdoors, a good photographer can often get nice shots with any camera.)

Are you an experienced photographer or did you sum up what I wrote? Either way you did a great job condensing it into a few lines.

Simple1

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:14 pm
CiCi wrote:
Are you an experienced photographer or did you sum up what I wrote? Either way you did a great job condensing it into a few lines.

Yes, been doing it for a long time. Got a little out of it in the past few years, so all the technical stuff you wrote about cameras went over my head.

CiCi

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The post by Simple1 explains it well. And as ecru wrote, professional photography involves a lot technical knowledge and $. Outdoor portraits are easier to learn and involves cheaper gear so it's doable if you are not a techie and don't want to spend a lot of $.

Last edited by CiCi on Thu, May 07 2020, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

CiCi

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:29 pm
In short
Best point and shoot camera is the Canon g7x mk2. But can't get you professional results. PM me for basic setup

Cheapest pro portrait setup Canon Rebel t7 or Rebel SL3 with 50mm f1.8 lens. PM for best basic camera settings only for portraits settings- not for other types of photography. I really suggest you learn photography basics and how to use natural light.

Indoor/low light portraits and events- too complicated to explain. You need a lot of technical knowledge of lighting, cameras, lenses.

Success10

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:19 am
Sorry to hijack the thread, but there seem to be some photography experts here. We have had a canon rebel 3 for a few years and we love the pictures, even indoors they are better than point and shoot, and outdoors the pictures are amazing. It's obviously much bulkier than a point and shoot so we don't always take it on trips. Our lens got knocked and now autofocus doesn't work. IT can still be focused manually, but I'm not good at it. You just have a tiny viewhole to see if it's focued properly, and it never is once I load it to the computer. Plus it takes too much time and the kids have run away by the time the lens is focused. What's a good lens to buy that will fit this camera, can be a slight upgrade from the basic lens that came with the camera. I plan to get on ebay something super affordable.

CiCi

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 5:08 pm
Success10 wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but there seem to be some photography experts here. We have had a canon rebel 3 for a few years and we love the pictures, even indoors they are better than point and shoot, and outdoors the pictures are amazing. It's obviously much bulkier than a point and shoot so we don't always take it on trips. Our lens got knocked and now autofocus doesn't work. IT can still be focused manually, but I'm not good at it. You just have a tiny viewhole to see if it's focued properly, and it never is once I load it to the computer. Plus it takes too much time and the kids have run away by the time the lens is focused. What's a good lens to buy that will fit this camera, can be a slight upgrade from the basic lens that came with the camera. I plan to get on ebay something super affordable.

Edit: I reconsidered and IMO the first lens is a better option for your camera. It will let in more light if you keep it set at f2.8 so you get better quality photos in low light and indoors. If you rather prefer a longer zoom lens than better looking photos then the second option is for you.

Original comment:
You say you have the camera for a few years so I'm assuming that you have the Rebel T3 not SL3. 2 great lens options in the lower price bracket for this camera are;

1.Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for Canon EF price is $370 on B&H. This lens is sharp and good for low light situations if you leave it at f2.8.

2. Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF price is $340 on B&H. This lens is also nice and sharp and has a great zoom range. It is not as good in low-light as the other lens because it's f4 at the long end of the zoom, but the zoom range is very nice.

I would get the first lens but if you would prefer a longer zoom lens then get lens #2

If you buy on eBay make sure to get the lens with the same names as I wrote above because it's the newest versions (these are not newish lenses just introduced to the market so the older versions are really old...). The older versions are not sharp at all and the focus is much slower. The front and back glass elements of the lens should not be scratched, there should be no fungus or dirt inside the lens and the overall condition should be very good to excellent. Even though you'll pay a little more, it's worth getting a lens in good cosmetic condition as they are usually less used.

Last edited by CiCi on Sat, May 09 2020, 9:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics