Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Contact tracers
Previous  1  2  3  Next

LovetoLive

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:12 pm
why must contact tracing be done through spying on your technology? why is it either they take away your freedom and right to privacy, or no contact tracing at all?

I don't see anything wrong with a contact tracer asking you all the places you may have been and anyone you may have been in contact with. You tell them whatever you know or remember and that is that. and if you went to the mikvah or somewhere else that is no one's business you have the right to your privacy and not tell them that.
The system will be imperfect but at this point, people are getting infected even by staying home and never going out so perfection is unattainable anyway.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:02 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
According to the NY Times, four states are considering using ankle monitors for people who test positive, and people who have had contact, to ensure that they keep the quarantine.

This is only a suggestion for now, but lawyers are already licking their chops at the possibilities. It would certainly set some strange new precedents.

On one hand, nobody needs a bunch of Typhoid Marys running around, but on the other hand - civil liberties and such.

If this goes through, I think there will be a major shortage of popcorn, so stock up now. 🍿

Kentucky (which is already using them), Hawaii (for tourists who are required to isolate), West Virginia and Arkansas. Lest anyone think its NY.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:12 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__olwlbyGG4

This is so so scary. Listen until last line.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:57 pm
Bumping up. No one else is horrified and scared?????
Gestapo, kgb... here we come c”v.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:28 pm
In Australia we have been contact tracing right from the beginning. Now we also have an app that you can download to help the government trace you IF you test positive. It’s optional to download but I think the smart thing to do is download it. It’s selfish not to in my opinion it will save more that just lives as this is the way we can open the economy back up and start ppl back at work and I’d do anything to have my kids back at school!!!! What are you hiding already? I presume no one is hiding a body

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

I'm so happy we have a Republican President OMG

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
In Australia we have been contact tracing right from the beginning. Now we also have an app that you can download to help the government trace you IF you test positive. It’s optional to download but I think the smart thing to do is download it. It’s selfish not to in my opinion it will save more that just lives as this is the way we can open the economy back up and start ppl back at work and I’d do anything to have my kids back at school!!!! What are you hiding already? I presume no one is hiding a body

If you listened to end, they are hiring thousands of contact tracers who have the power to enter your home and decide who’s safe to stay. They have the power to remove children or adults to “safe” places.
Reminds me how Jews were sent to “resorts” by ww2. hitler took criminals and gave them power to decide. How is this different? This is insanity. Btw contact tracers are trained with a 20 hour course. These are people who can separate families!!!!
Why isn’t the world SCREAMING

ggdm

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 9:02 am
This discussion is bizarre. Contact tracing is one of the oldest and best tools available to stop a pandemic. It has been used successfully in the past to stop Ebola and other diseases - and it is a key element in the success of countries like South Korea to stop Covid19.

What they do in my country is that the health office asks people who test positive to list their contacts (of the last week or so? I don't know). Then the health office phones up all those people and recommend they self-quarantine at home for two weeks. There is actually a legal way here to force people to quarantine, but it is not necessary to enforce, because most people are not stupid and just comply. Why wouldn't you protect those around you if you had reason to suspect that you are sick??

Of course manually calling people does not scale, so making the process somewhat automatic would help. But yes, there are many privacy issues and most approaches are very questionable in that regard (e.g. the South Korean app). Fight this part, if you will, but not contact tracing in itself.

As an alternative to technology: Bring down the numbers far enough by SD), so that tracing is possible manually. Israel may be close to that point. NYC not so much (IMHO).

BH5745

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:

If you listened to end, they are hiring thousands of contact tracers who have the power to enter your home and decide who’s safe to stay. They have the power to remove children or adults to “safe” places.
Reminds me how Jews were sent to “resorts” by ww2. hitler took criminals and gave them power to decide. How is this different? This is insanity. Btw contact tracers are trained with a 20 hour course. These are people who can separate families!!!!
Why isn’t the world SCREAMING

Australia is just about the least free country in the Western hemisphere. In fact even modern Germany is way more free than Australia. This kind of stuff doesn't happen there, nor would modern Germans allow it to, having already experienced authoritarianism gone amuck. But as for Nazi Germany, all their (mis)leaders had to do was scare people into believing that the someone or something was out to get them, and only the government could protect them via surveillance and hardcore repression. That's what we're seeing in many countries today.

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 3:22 pm
BH5745 wrote:
Australia is just about the least free country in the Western hemisphere.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 3:33 pm
ggdm wrote:
This discussion is bizarre. Contact tracing is one of the oldest and best tools available to stop a pandemic. It has been used successfully in the past to stop Ebola and other diseases - and it is a key element in the success of countries like South Korea to stop Covid19.

I'm still surprised that I'm not seeing certain voices here. Is this constitutional?

rae

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:54 am
There’s now a video circulating from Elizabeth Glass who is running for NY state senate re contact tracers and how they are allowed to remove children from the home if they deem that quarantine is not safe in home. I don’t know how to download.
This is NY and that is scary for our community where many people have multiple children and one bathroom.
The video listed above was in a county in California. This is now NY law also.
I’m not getting much feedback on this thread.
This is hitting really close to home. I’m not understanding why it’s ok. This is NOT a conspiracy theory. What’s going on? Does anyone feel this is ok?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:02 am
NO!!!!!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:04 am
plausible good intentions

with horrific implications and ramifications

no bureaucracy should have that level of control and power over us in our homes

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:10 am
We had the health dept come do our test and we’re negative
Then my husband got it at work and was allowed back at work a week later then my daughter caught it from
Him no one ever checked to see if we were home the whole neighborhood had it and people were out anyway

rae

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:22 am
They are starting this program now. It’s part of the re-opening process. If you go online they want to hire thousands of contact tracers. For a 20 hour online training course, they get this amount of power.
Can someone tell me I’m wrong?

Laiya

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:37 am

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cal.....ntine

Laiya

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:44 am
rae wrote:
They are starting this program now. It’s part of the re-opening process. If you go online they want to hire thousands of contact tracers. For a 20 hour online training course, they get this amount of power.
Can someone tell me I’m wrong?

What is the source for the claim about NY, though, aside from Elizabeth Glass?

She cites H.R. 6666, but there's nothing in the proposed bill that says anything about removing children from parents.

rae

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:47 am
Ok Laiya, I was actually relieved when I started reading. He starts off apologizing, but then said this;

“If I did do that, I am very sorry," he said. "That is an option. That is possible. If you become infected, you don’t want to stay in your home, you’re afraid that you’ll expose other people, we’ll work with you to find a place to stay. And, it’s likely to be a hotel of a motel. We will desire for you to have your own room in your place of residence and a bathroom that can be dedicated to just you. Now, not everyone is fortunate enough to have more than one bathroom, so we’ll work with you.”

rae

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:49 am
It says if the house is not deemed safe to quarantine in they are allowed to remove people.
Elizabeth Glass is not a conspiracy theorist.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics