Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Idea for gemach/os hakaras hatov

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:11 am
My 16 month old is beH going off his feeding tube in the near future after having one since birth basically. I wanted to do something as an os hakaras hatov.

My first thought was to start a feeding tube/supplies gemach since we have things left over and once word spreads then others can donate their extra, etc. My DH feels like there is already one in our community and it is just more efficient in terms of helping people if all donations go to one place so they have a full inventory.

So I'm trying to think of something I can do- I want it davka to connect to what we went through and to help people in similar situations.
We were also in the NICU for 6 weeks in the beginning, so something that can help NICU parents... Idk, but looking for ideas. (I am located in the NY area)

Thanks!

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:24 am
Are there any books dealing with the situation you went through, or similar situations? Or books about babies in NICU and parents learning to deal with it? Maybe you could develop a library of these kind of books (with positive and negative endings) and lend them out. Reading about similar situations often helps people to understand what they are going through, and helps them adjust to it.

I agree with your husband that it is not worth opening a second gemach. Feeding tubes aren't in huge demand, and there is no point doubling up.

Surrendered

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:29 am
Hoidi Lashem! It's so encouraging to hear that he's finally getting off the feeding tube. Hashem should help he should have a Refuah Sheleima.
It is so special of you to be willing to open a Gemach to help out the klal as a hakaras hatov to Hashem.
I opened a Cleaning Lady Gemach, where I personally don't know of any ladies available. But anyone who takes care of cleaning ladies and anyone who is in need of help, calls me up and I make shidduchim!
I give them the phone number of the lady who has a cleaning lady available and Both are helped.
People kept telling me what a lifesaver this service was to them, especially erev shabbos and yom tov... I was able to do 10-20 shidduchim a day.
That's truly a chesed, especially for people going through challenging times sitting for days in hospital...
All it takes is answering calls.

Last edited by Surrendered on Sun, May 10 2020, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Surrendered

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:30 am
Another chesed for people sitting in hospitals is to make sure they have lunch and dinner daily. For themselves, as well as for the family.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:45 am
Bh!
In terms of a gemach/ help, I think there’s definitely a need for NICU moms as they usually fall between the cracks of those being helped by other orgs.
Another ‘group’ usually falling between the cracks are those with chronic illness that are also dd.
Depending on your resources and time you have for involvement I have some ideas that can be shared via pm if you’re interested.

Hatzlacha & kol hakoved!

dankbar

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:21 pm
What about taking nicu shifts?

anonymrs

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:23 pm
A specialty formula gemach?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:52 pm
dankbar wrote:
What about taking nicu shifts?

At this point in my life I cannot do that, but thanks for the suggestion

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:54 pm
anonymrs wrote:
A specialty formula gemach?

Still need that so don't have any I can give away, though I can try to get donations going and then start out that way. Just figured that it's easier to start with what we do have but that we still will need until he's eating all his calories through food and not just drinking them. (The first step was getting him to get them all orally, and then we can work on the proper venues, etc )

dankbar

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:04 pm
You dont have to personally take shifts you can arrange volunteers

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Still need that so don't have any I can give away, though I can try to get donations going and then start out that way. Just figured that it's easier to start with what we do have but that we still will need until he's eating all his calories through food and not just drinking them. (The first step was getting him to get them all orally, and then we can work on the proper venues, etc )

Iirc Golda Turner from beineinu deals with specialty formula too.
Also, sometimes even more than donations- its being a "shadchan" so to speak. this is what a lot of gemachim- especially with medical equipment/supplies end up doing.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:11 pm
I just had this idea- though you'll definitely need donations and or invest $ yourself.
there's someone in Boro park that does this and I can't tell you what a huge chesed this is.
ipad gemach- fully loaded with kosher videos for kids and even for adults.
This has been our lifesaver thru many many many picu stays and even stam for traveling to/from appointments.

advocate

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:16 pm
Phone charger gemach --maybe at the hospital?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:01 am
I'm not sure there's a need for anything physical, OP. I had NICU babies and b"H we were helped a lot by existing gemachs. Afterward I made a small gemach with books and supplies for moms who wanted to nurse but their babies couldn't yet - so pumps and advice about building up milk supply, also extra bags for freezing milk. I also arranged for lactating moms who had extra milk stashes to share with NICU moms who weren't making enough milk, but that isn't ideal since the type of milk could be for an older baby rather than the type of milk produced for a younger baby. Anyway in the end I gave my stuff to a larger gemach since it's more efficient for everything to be a one stop kind of thing, and honestly I was too busy with my children at the time.

Probably the most valuable thing you can offer is being willing to talk with moms who just found out that their babies are going to need feeding tubes. Practical advice and a warm listening ear. You can let Bikur Cholim know that you'd like to be added to their list of resources. You can also let pediatricians in your community know that you're happy to talk with moms. You could even run an online, invitation-only monthly support group for frum moms going through the same thing you did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics