Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much per month on groceries? Family of 7
1  2  Next

Family of seven- how much do you spend a month on groceries?
500-1,000 $ a month  
 14%  [ 14 ]
1,000-1,500 $ a month  
 43%  [ 41 ]
1,500- 2,000 $ a month  
 28%  [ 27 ]
2,000- 2,500 $ a month  
 13%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 95

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 3:51 pm
Five kids, two parents. Whats the norm per month? Obviously I'll get a range of answers but I'm curious if we're way above the norm. (We've been shopping at the local smaller store instead of the big supermarkets due to the situation). Thanks!

imaamy

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 3:53 pm
I think it will depend on where you live and what you eat. We are five at home now, mostly vegetarian but lots of dairy. We like fresh fruits and veg. I haven’t added it up since lockdown began but I’d estimate $1000/month

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 3:55 pm
6 kids 2 parents. Oh and I guess another adult for live in housekeeper. Groceries typically cost me $700 per week, including meat, fish, chicken, Shabbos, etc. so I guess $2800 per month. I think that’s high end. I don’t shop on sale, and I shop in my local small store where prices are higher than in the large supermarkets. Also my kids eat a lot of fresh produce and protein, not into carbs and processed cheap food.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:04 pm
We are a family of 6, but one infant who doesn't eat much food yet. I spend about $200 per week.
I meal plan very carefully and we are not fancy eaters at all. We live OOT so kosher food is a little more expensive but other groceries are much cheaper. Also don't keep cholov yisroel

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:05 pm
Family of 2 parents, 5 kids here as well bh.

We spend about 500-700 a week

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:08 pm
Family of 11, 2 parents 9 kids but all big eaters, we spend in the vicinity of $1600-$1800 per month. We buy a lot of food at the local Walmart, and I am definitely budget-conscious.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:19 pm
We spend about $1500 a month. I don’t buy salmon or any fish because it’s too expensive. I also don’t buy lots of fruits and veggies. My bill would be double otherwise. I’m pretty stingy on groceries and make lots of home made stuff.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:23 pm
family of 5, 3 kids under 8. living in NY, I eat pretty healthy and we have shabbos guests almost every week.
$800

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:10 pm
Family of 7, 3 adults. 3 kids. Baby. about $300 per week.

mfb

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:21 am
It will also depend greatly on how old the kids are. If you have 5 kids and the oldest is 9-10 years old and the youngest a baby will be very different than if the oldest is 18 and the youngest 10

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:26 am
We are 2 parents, 3 adult children living at home, a teen and a toddler (still in diapers)
We spend about $3000 a month on groceries.

Success10

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:17 am
I see a lot of these types of threads on imamother and I have a question: How do you define "groceries"? There's a lot of things you can buy at the supermarket that are not food, ranging from diapers to knee highs to drain plugs to colored pencils. But it all comes out on the same bill and it's hard for me to properly calculate what I've spent on food. What do you ladies do to make a proper calculation?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:21 am
We are 2 adults and 4 kids. I would say actual food items runs around 250-300 a week.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:24 am
Success10 wrote:
I see a lot of these types of threads on imamother and I have a question: How do you define "groceries"? There's a lot of things you can buy at the supermarket that are not food, ranging from diapers to knee highs to drain plugs to colored pencils. But it all comes out on the same bill and it's hard for me to properly calculate what I've spent on food. What do you ladies do to make a proper calculation?

The only non food items I buy at my grocery store are magazines, paper goods products and wine for shabbos.

Success10

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:26 am
do you count tin foil, disposable plates, things like that as groceries?

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:31 am
800-1200, depending on how old the kids are and how much they eat. Are they teens who eat adult sized portions, are they toddlers, or picky preschoolers that only like pb&j and pasta?

Rosemarie

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:49 pm
Success10 wrote:

Yup! Same question here. Are cleaning supplies counted as groceries? Magazines? Disposables, like plastic tablecloths, paper/plastic plates and cutlery? Pampers and wipes? Tissues/toilet paper/paper towel? And that's all besides for if you shop in a store like bingo that sells socks, underwear, snood, household items like chairs... or even when you shop in Walmart for food plus other items, the bill is still one

solo

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 5:59 am
We’re a family of 6. 2 adults 4 kids 9 and under. I budget 1000/mo and it’s tight. This includes food, food & mealtime related items, cleaning supplies. (If I buy a sweater at Costco Or a magazine at ShopRite while shopping for groceries I am careful to split the bill in my budgeting app) This year because lockdown and pesach coincided I went 500$ over budget. And my grocery bills continue to rise because the kids are home for lunch and snack, I’m paying extra for deliveries, I can’t shop sales, I don’t have enough time/ energy to devote to from scratch (inexpensive) dining- I had to buy challah 2x since pesach...😭

Success10

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:29 am
solo wrote:
We’re a family of 6. 2 adults 4 kids 9 and under. I budget 1000/mo and it’s tight. This includes food, food & mealtime related items, cleaning supplies. (If I buy a sweater at Costco Or a magazine at ShopRite while shopping for groceries I am careful to split the bill in my budgeting app) This year because lockdown and pesach coincided I went 500$ over budget. And my grocery bills continue to rise because the kids are home for lunch and snack, I’m paying extra for deliveries, I can’t shop sales, I don’t have enough time/ energy to devote to from scratch (inexpensive) dining- I had to buy challah 2x since pesach...😭

I think a lot of people are spending more these days, it's rough, but it will pass, and I believe Hashem will work it all out in the end.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 6:31 am
Before lockdown $1500 a month
Now $150,000,000 a month
A 24 hour binge party started in March and isn’t over yet Punch
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics