Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Ice cream for BY students only!
1  2  3  4  Next

Dolly1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:06 am
I was sitting and playing with my kids this afternoon... when we heard the ice cream truck singing and inviting kids to come. So I decided to treat my kids. I gave them money and they went downstairs. They came back two minutes later empty handed... - they were told its only for BY students. They were devastated and so embarrassed cuz they were told to leave in front of quite a few ppl.
Later on when we went out I watched a few more kids being sent away cuz the ice cream was for BY students only. The looks on those kids faces!!!😔
Unless I’m missing something... where is the Chinuch here??
Why is it ok to send an ice cream truck around to call the children’s attention and then upset them??
It’s ok to treat students! It’s beautiful! Go ahead and give them free ice cream, but why cant others buy too?? And if u don't want others to buy then why turn on the music to call their attention?? My kids wud never have known if not for the music!!
One of my neighbors has 3 children. 2 of them r BY students and her son is in yeshiva. She sent her son along with money so that he can have an ice cream as well, but he was told that it’s only for BY students. Come on!! He has to sit and watch his sisters eat?! What r they teaching those kids?!
I know I might get bashed for this but I had to get it off my chest. It was hurtful to watch!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:22 am
Because BY students are better than others and deserve better things. If we don't teach this to the children when they are young, in a way that makes an impression on them, how will they know?

twizzlers1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:08 am
Oh my goodness that must have been so disappointing! especially now when life is not super exciting the sound of an ice cream truck brings a lot of excitement. I'm not sure what the school was thinking putting on music or the whole neighborhood could hear but then not letting the whole neighborhood have or purchase?!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:11 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Because BY students are better than others and deserve better things. If we don't teach this to the children when they are young, in a way that makes an impression on them, how will they know?

pretty sure she's talking about students of a specific school. Not any BY anywhere.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 3:26 am
my daughters by high school school went around to different places yesterday and the students were told to come.
maybe it was only a specific school.
maybe the kids didn't understand that.

Ora in town

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:09 am
Come on! Why should bY not be allowed to send out and icecream truck?
Why are you so outraged?
Why is everyone always so outraged at others and at the same time so selfish for themselves and their families?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:13 am
Ora in town wrote:
Why are you so outraged?
Why is everyone always so outraged at others and at the same time so selfish for themselves and their families?

An ice cream truck with music on means ice cream for sale. It's not selfish to be upset at them for deceiving the public.

Angel

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:18 am
Ora in town wrote:
Why are you so outraged?

They can send out! OP doesnt have a problem with that, she is just disappointed that they didnt anounce it on the mike but made it sound come on come all only to turn the kids away!

Dolly1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:27 am
Ora in town wrote:
Why are you so outraged?

I was actually waiting for that😄😄.
I never said they cant treat their students. On the contrary! It’s beautiful to treat students, but dont turn on the music to invite others and then dont let them buy! Nobody is being selfish here. It’s just like waving ice cream in front of kids’ eyes and then not letting them have! In my opinion that’s cruel!

Gut

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:42 am
I guess they weren't thinking it through.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 6:04 am
I agree with the part about not letting others buy ice cream however they did give to students siblings.

WhatFor

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 6:05 am
Ora in town wrote:
Why are you so outraged?

I've never heard of anyone doing something like OP describes. It's pretty rude to send an ice cream truck down a public street and only offer ice cream to some kids. This is something specifically designed to entice kids and there's a general expectation that ice cream trucks going down streets are open to business for everyone. It's highly predictable that this setup would make more kids upset than it would make kids happy. This was a dumb idea.

And OP gave her kids money, she wasn't looking for a handout.

Ora in town

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 6:16 am
Dolly1 wrote:
I was actually waiting for that😄😄.
I never said they cant treat their students. On the contrary! It’s beautiful to treat students, but dont turn on the music to invite others and then dont let them buy! Nobody is being selfish here. It’s just like waving ice cream in front of kids’ eyes and then not letting them have! In my opinion that’s cruel!

It's not cruel. It's disappointing to children.
What I don't get: Why are you venting and outraged as if you were a child and had run to the icecream truck and had not gotten your icecream?

As an adult, you have ways of making it up to the children e.g. produce your own popsickles, a little bit of whipped cream, a little bit of chocolate molten in milk, 1-2h in the freezer and you have your icecream.

This way, you would empower your children and show them that they do not have to wait for the icecream truck to get icecream...

You cannot go around with your children and just expect the world to be at your and your children's service. You have to teach them to cope with adversity. If you infantilise yourself, you miss out on opportunities to give them tools how to cope.

I see the same attitude often with student's parents who always believe their children are angels and all the other children & teachers are only out to get them. In my view, it's an immature attitude.

ora_43

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 6:30 am
Ora in town wrote:
This way, you would empower your children and show them that they do not have to wait for the icecream truck to get icecream...

She's not telling her kids that they should be upset. She's venting here, on a site for adults, about how inconsiderate the adults involved were being.

It's a two-sided thing. Parents should help their kids overcome the disappointment, and also, adults shouldn't create situations where children are bound to be embarrassed and disappointed. No contradiction.

ora_43

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 6:34 am
Poor kids Sad.

If you know what school it is, maybe tell them what you saw. It sounds like they just weren't thinking. Too late to do anything about it this time, but if they realize that other kids were upset maybe they'll do better next time.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:16 am
They're doing a run in another neighborhood today. Maybe call them to ask them to put up a BY sign and have a BY song singing instead of the usual ice cream truck song.

Dolly1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
They're doing a run in another neighborhood today. Maybe call them to ask them to put up a BY sign and have a BY song singing instead of the usual ice cream truck song.

That’s a good idea. Will try to do that😊
Can anyone provide me with a number please?

Last edited by Dolly1 on Tue, May 12 2020, 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:29 am
Hmm.. your title is quite deceiving.

While I get your children’s disappointment it wasn’t like they said- we only sell ice cream to kids from BY. It was treat sponsored by BY for BY.... it needed to give its students and did not have enough to sell to the rest of the neighborhood.

Dolly1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:34 am
SuperWify wrote:
Hmm.. your title is quite deceiving.

While I get your children’s disappointment it wasn’t like they said- we only sell ice cream to kids from BY. It was treat sponsored by BY for BY.... it needed to give its students and did not have enough to sell to the rest of the neighborhood.

The point I was making was that they were using the regular truck that usually sells for everyone, the regular music that invites everyone, and then when everyone came running they only gave to their students. The idea of sending ice cream to students only is adorable but u cant not customize the truck etc and then only give to ur students.
Maybe it doesnt sound bad when I repeat it but it definitely looked bad in real. There were so many disappointed faces there amongst the few who were licking away at ice cream

Simple1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:37 am
They probably didn't want crowds because then they would get in trouble for not SD. Sounds like a good idea that wasn't thought out thoroughly and turned awkward.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics