Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Ice cream for BY students only!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:41 am
Dolly1 wrote:
The point I was making was that they were using the regular truck that usually sells for everyone, the regular music that invites everyone, and then when everyone came running they only gave to their students. The idea of sending ice cream to students only is adorable but u cant not customize the truck etc and then only give to ur students.
Maybe it doesnt sound bad when I repeat it but it definitely looked bad in real. There were so many disappointed faces there amongst the few who were licking away at ice cream

I completely understand their frustration but maybe it was a good teaching moment. We can’t always get what we want?

Let me ask you- every time the ice cream truck passes by you give them money to buy? Do you never tell them no? Not judging, because I know how hard it is to be the mom that says I’m treating you to ice cream 3 times this summer so you pick which days you want and don’t ask on the other days....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:46 am
A school in my neighborhood did that last night. They sent out a huge crane truck with a huge sign with the name of the school with speakers and lights strung through the whole thing. They drove to each students house to give out treats and surprises. (and blocked tons of traffic along the way)
Its seemed to be a very high strung way to make students happy.
Wouldn't sending cute pekalach to each household do the same without causing traffic, hard feelings and elitism?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:15 am
I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you here.

Do you get your kids ice cream every time you see the ice cream truck? The school specifically had the girls come out in uniforms. It was meant for the students of this school as a treat. Children could learn and know that not everything is for them all the time....

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:17 am
Was this the answer the the lag bomer post from the other day?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:28 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you here.

Do you get your kids ice cream every time you see the ice cream truck? The school specifically had the girls come out in uniforms. It was meant for the students of this school as a treat. Children could learn and know that not everything is for them all the time....

Children can learn almost anything we teach them if we believe in it.
One of the powerful lessons that our children learned throughout this ordeal is how we are all in this together.
Singers drove through the streets to cheer us all up.
Minyanim became a beautiful mix of all colors from the porches.
Tzedakah organizations in my neighborhood gave out food to anybody who came to take, no eligibility required.
One organization even drove around giving out ices to kids and whoever took ices was handed bread and milk. I thought that was a brilliant way to give to people who need without embarrassing anybody.
I don't see why a display of patriotism is so important right now.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:30 am
I have no problem with it if they write clearly on the truck for students of xy school. To make it look like a regular ice cream truck is deceptive.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:32 am
Your school gives treats sometimes, their school is doing this now.
Did you go on a trip with your school this year? Maybe they didn't. Maybe it's a reward for a contest they did. Every school has its perks.
Do you get upset when other day camp busses go around decorated colorfully and your kids busses show up as the regular yellow school busses?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:36 am
This is ridiculous, a school in your community did something nice for their students during a really difficult time and you have an issue with that?!
If it was a regular lag baomer maybe but come on! It’s a great time to teach your kids that they can’t have everything they want and sometimes you have to fargin others.
I’m really shocked by this thread!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:42 am
Why are u all attacking her,?
She is just venting her disappointment.
She wanted to treat her kids to the sound of a regular ice cream truck, only for the kids to be told by the window its not for u!!
Very simple, BY should have anounced something on the mikes instead of the regular tune!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:45 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Why are u all attacking her,?
She is just venting her disappointment.
She wanted to treat her kids to the sound of a regular ice cream truck, only for the kids to be told by the window its not for u!!
Very simple, BY should have anounced something on the mikes instead of the regular tune!

So why wouldn’t she just treat her kids to ice cream from a store instead of bashing a school publicly for something nice they did?

Dolly1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:49 am
Amother goldenrod, beautifully said!!💪🏼
Throughout this ordeal we r teaching our kids to care for everyone no matter who they r. We r locked inside so that we dont spread the virus ... we wait extra long lines outside our school for lunches so that ppl from ALL circles can have even though it’s from OUR kids school! Our kids’ schools r giving out treats today to all the kids cuz of the special day. BY was giving out ice cream and as I made it clear , it’s BEAUTIFUL!!! But the way it was done was SO wrong!
Now dont get me wrong, this is not the way I reacted to my kids, I’m only venting here cuz this is an adult forum. But when my kids came up after they were sent away, my dd said to me; u always say we hv to share and b selfless especially now, why is a whole school being selfish?!?! THATs what bothered me cuz it’s coming from a child and this means that this is the message that came across!

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:04 am
I see kids and adults crowding the ice cream truck so I don't go out there. No SD.
It would have been better to go to the homes of BY students without the music and with a school food delivery sign than to disappoint the other kids. Many kids have had more than their fair share of disappointment lately.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:43 am
southernbubby wrote:
I see kids and adults crowding the ice cream truck so I don't go out there. No SD.
It would have been better to go to the homes of BY students without the music and with a school food delivery sign than to disappoint the other kids. Many kids have had more than their fair share of disappointment lately.

As usual Southernbubby is a voice of reason Very Happy

As I read the various back and forth all I kept thinking was how ever thought sending an ice cream truck out like the Pied Piper so that children could gather together en masse.

This was SO not thought out on so many different levels. If you want to treat your students in some way, there are so many safer and nicer ways to do so. Why not just give a credit for an ice cream or do something else.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:53 am
I was at the stop with a few BY girls and there was NO music being played.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I agree with the part about not letting others buy ice cream however they did give to students siblings.

Yes. They did give for all siblings too.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:04 am
I live in the "other" neighborhood so my family hasn't gotten their ice cream yet.

I agree it would be wise to add a sign outside the truck.

But I have to say, an ice cream truck only carries so much ice cream. This is a tremendous school. Even if others are willing to pay, if they let outsiders buy, there may not be enough for their own students.

And the school has hired the ice cream truck to come to their corner many times in the normal past. And if you weren't a student/camper they wouldn't sell to you. The truck was privately rented out.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:05 am
while I understand the disappointment
we strive especially now to take a teachable moment
dan l'chaf zechus
look with an ayin tov
turn a blockage into an opening and way forward
empower ourselves and our kids

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
As usual Southernbubby is a voice of reason Very Happy

As I read the various back and forth all I kept thinking was how ever thought sending an ice cream truck out like the Pied Piper so that children could gather together en masse.

This was SO not thought out on so many different levels. If you want to treat your students in some way, there are so many safer and nicer ways to do so. Why not just give a credit for an ice cream or do something else.

How exciting. A credit for an ice cream. What a Lag B'Omer treat! Sarcasm alert!

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:14 am
I’ve never heard of a school doing this. Is this a NY thing?

sneakermom

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:14 am
Bjbp is a school with a very big heart and always considerate of every child. Please be dan l’kaf zechus. Nobody was meant to be hurt. They are simply trying to reach their students and give them some love, in the way they thought of at this time.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics