Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Ice cream for BY students only!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:20 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I’ve never heard of a school doing this. Is this a NY thing?

Well yes cuz we have kosher ice cream trucks.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:33 am
Thank you ladies for your feedback

There was supposed to be a sign and announcement that BY children are getting a special lag baomer treat It seems it wasn’t followed through.

They will contact the driver and make sure it will be clear today.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Thank you ladies for your feedback

There was supposed to be a sign and announcement that BY children are getting a special lag baomer treat It seems it wasn’t followed through.

They will contact the driver and make sure it will be clear today.

kind suggestion - don't use the 'ice cream tune'.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:42 am
OP, I agree with you and maybe even more so.
No one school should go into a neighborhood full of kids and purposefully and in a big way provide goodies for one group of kids with music and lights. You do this in a more discreet way.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:45 am
As a mom of a BY student, this was so appreciated!! There was no music playing at my stop. We got a personal phone call from a teacher on the bus telling us a few minutes before when to wait at the corner so it was organized, not loitering on streets. It was at corners not by each house. I think it was wonderfully organized and a beautiful , personal way to show each student the school cares and how they are doing a great job keeping up with school work . Wearing their uniform reminded them of their school and how proud they are to be a BY student! Maybe each school should do the same Wink but I think it was wonderful . I understand frustration on the original posters part but why begrudge so many girls their happiness because of a misunderstanding with music playing and ur kids thinking they can get ice cream? You can just tel them they will get it the next time they hear the ice cream truck coming, that this was on a private run. My boys didn’t get from the truck- I didn’t even ask for them, and I explained it was a treat for my daughter for her work , from her school and they understood.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
kind suggestion - don't use the 'ice cream tune'.

Yes. I told them - no music at all. Just an announcement bais yaakov girls.

I hope driver gets the message on time.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
As a mom of a BY student, this was so appreciated!! There was no music playing at my stop. We got a personal phone call from a teacher on the bus telling us a few minutes before when to wait at the corner so it was organized, not loitering on streets. It was at corners not by each house. I think it was wonderfully organized and a beautiful , personal way to show each student the school cares and how they are doing a great job keeping up with school work . Wearing their uniform reminded them of their school and how proud they are to be a BY student! Maybe each school should do the same Wink but I think it was wonderful . I understand frustration on the original posters part but why begrudge so many girls their happiness because of a misunderstanding with music playing and ur kids thinking they can get ice cream? You can just tel them they will get it the next time they hear the ice cream truck coming, that this was on a private run. My boys didn’t get from the truck- I didn’t even ask for them, and I explained it was a treat for my daughter for her work , from her school and they understood.

This is quite a bit different than described by OP - typical imamother telephone tag where information gets distorted and people comment on the distortions rather than the reality.

Perhaps the grain of truth was that there was an ice cream truck spotted on the street and children assumed it was the regular ice cream truck and the story mushroomed from there Very Happy

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
OP, I agree with you and maybe even more so.
No one school should go into a neighborhood full of kids and purposefully and in a big way provide goodies for one group of kids with music and lights. You do this in a more discreet way.

Under normal circumstances, there would be nothing wrong. However these are not normal days.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
This is quite a bit different than described by OP - typical imamother telephone tag where information gets distorted and people comment on the distortions rather than the reality.

Perhaps the grain of truth was that there was an ice cream truck spotted on the street and children assumed it was the regular ice cream truck and the story mushroomed from there Very Happy

kids heard the ice cream truck playing a tune.

In the land of ice cream trucks that means - if your parents say 'yes' you can get an ice cream.

Dolly1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:35 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

Sounds beautiful and if u read my original post it was beautiful! Maybe I live at the beginning of where it started and they later stopped the music cuz of so many moms and kids who came and were made to feel stupid. I explained to my kids and promised them the treat another time but thats not the point. They felt like two cents running so excitedly only to b turned away. They r kids !!!
And btw u explaining it to ur sons is not quite the same as my kids’ situation. U got it all in an organized manner and had time to explain to ur boys in ur way. We all do this in life. How many times does one kid come home with a prize and the other not? Life isnt equal. But thus wasnt abt me explaining or preparing them for anything. I wud never have sent them down with money in the first place. My kids can understand if something isnt for them. They r not brats. But here they were embarrassed. They were told it was only for BY and the window was closed...
Whatever the case. It’s over. Was a nice treat and a nice lesson for me to learn and teach my kids but the point I was making is that u can do something u think is beautiful but ur hurting so many others on the way.... and just btw my kids werent the only ones hurt.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:41 am
I really empathize with you and your kids.

My kids do not go to BY so I keep thinking were it me how I hope I would handle this.

If I thought it were a good idea I would set the positive tone for my kids and brainstorm with my kids how we could pay it forward and contact the school to find out how to go about setting it up for my kids, my school, my youth group, my shul, my neighborhood or whoever/however you want to do it.

It is not about being exclusionary just really can't be everything down to the lowest common denominator where nobody can get unless the world at large can, every school, every neighborhood, every denomination, every person, every religion and so on. Someone organized and paid for it. and due to the situation its not like everyone could just go to one place and get, better for it to travel around to everyone separately. Would it be so that we could all gather together again and that we all had such an abundance of resources!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:48 am
Thank you chocolate for your sensitivity in taking the feedback and passing it on in a tachlis way.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:09 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
I was sitting and playing with my kids this afternoon... when we heard the ice cream truck singing and inviting kids to come. So I decided to treat my kids. I gave them money and they went downstairs. They came back two minutes later empty handed... - they were told its only for BY students. They were devastated and so embarrassed cuz they were told to leave in front of quite a few ppl.
Later on when we went out I watched a few more kids being sent away cuz the ice cream was for BY students only. The looks on those kids faces!!!😔
Unless I’m missing something... where is the Chinuch here??
Why is it ok to send an ice cream truck around to call the children’s attention and then upset them??
It’s ok to treat students! It’s beautiful! Go ahead and give them free ice cream, but why cant others buy too?? And if u don't want others to buy then why turn on the music to call their attention?? My kids wud never have known if not for the music!!
One of my neighbors has 3 children. 2 of them r BY students and her son is in yeshiva. She sent her son along with money so that he can have an ice cream as well, but he was told that it’s only for BY students. Come on!! He has to sit and watch his sisters eat?! What r they teaching those kids?!
I know I might get bashed for this but I had to get it off my chest. It was hurtful to watch!

May this be the biggest pain you and your kids have to go through in life, especially now. This is your opportunity to teach them how to deal with disappointments in life.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:27 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Thank you chocolate for your sensitivity in taking the feedback and passing it on in a tachlis way.

This! Mi k'amcha Yisrael!

Although the experience was frustrating to OP, posting about it may lead to less frustration for someone else.

Happy Lag Baomer, everyone!

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:36 pm
no I think it wasnt nice. but can the mothers whos kids got sent away sit down with the kids and explain that amistake was made here. its a learning opportunity. tell them the school didnt realize it was gonna make other kids not have and that we need to be dan lekaf zechus. and now give each one a treat so they dont feel like they are different cuz they are not. everyone at this point deserves a treat for dealing with all the difficulties and what all of us have to put with.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:43 pm
dear schools, please think before you do anything for your students that others might get jealous. its not nice to make a big statement when you know others will be hurt. no it wasnt a nice thing the school did. schools should think things through. I would not do this. op its wasnt smart what the school did. hey, they make mistakes too. u could explain that the school meant well and they didnt realize it would hurt. or they would not have done it.

tweety1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:44 pm
What I don't get is, why can't non by students buy? If they pay why can't they buy ice cream? What am I missing?

tweety1

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:44 pm
I understand is by girls get it for free, and the others can't pay to have ice cream??

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:57 pm
tweety1 wrote:
What I don't get is, why can't non by students buy? If they pay why can't they buy ice cream? What am I missing?

They aren’t set up to sell ice cream. They were paid a certain amount for the ice cream needed for whatever students were on the schedule.

I understand kids like the excitement of the trick but this is Brooklyn and it’s pretty easy to get your children a snack treat of some kind.

watergirl

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:04 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Its not a never ending ice cream supply. They most likely stocked the truck with what they needed for their students and not for every child who sees it stop and wants some. The ice cream was paid for by this school to give to its students. Not to sell. It is possible to hire a truck for his purpose.

The school should have put a clear banner on the sides of the truck. Thats their one and only mistake.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics