Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Granite and other countertops
1  2  Next

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 4:54 pm
I haven't searched all the topics to see if this was posted already, but I'm looking for information about kashering countertops.

specifically laminate (I think you can't) and granite. I heard granite has to be sealed. Does that make it more kasherable, or less?

are there any kasherable countertop materials?

What do people do when they move into an apartment which was previously occupied by people whose kashrus they wouldn't trust? What do they do about counters?

kitchen designer

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 5:09 pm
I believe sealed granite isn't kasherable, maybe a stainless steel one would be.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 5:14 pm
can the sealant be removed to be able to kasher? Would it be strippable with solvents or such?

kitchen designer

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 5:17 pm
The sealant wears off over time and does need to be reapplied every few years. I am not an expert on it, you could try calling a tile place or granite fabricator and asking them.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 7:48 pm
Well we have a formica one and kasher it every Pesach and when we moved in with boiling water and a hot irion slightly on the sounter top and you know what it is in great condition Tongue Out

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 10:00 pm
How do you iron formica? Isn't it plastic?

In Israel, we had stainless steel that's all that I've had that's kasherable. I cover them for Pesach with plastic corrogated cardboard and if it's hot and drops, it's into the trash. Or, I do all prep on cutting boards.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 10:39 am
I grew up with formica and it was fine. I now have granite and it's also very nice.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 10:47 am
please ask your rav re: formica.

When we asked ours the answer he gave was "well, I do not like to tell fully frum people that they can kasher it. It's better not to rely on that." or somethign to that effect, ok it's not verbatim.

I'm not judging what anybody does! Just saying it seems like something important to discuss with YOUR rav.

Yulka

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:13 pm
I'm a kitchen designer and I've called star-k on that very topic many times. Laminate counter tops can never be kashered. As long as you don't put food directly on it or anything that is yad soledes bo then it should be ok. Silestone or Zodiac (quartz material), or corian cannot be kashered either.
Granite and Stainless steel can be kashered. I agree with "kitchen designer" sealant wears off and then you can kasher it very easily. Pour boiling water over it and then after wiping it off, go through it with a rag saturated with cold water.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:25 pm
Yulka wrote:
I'm a kitchen designer
I know it's off topic, but I couldn't resist. What are the biggest regrets of people after putting in a kitchen. What should they have done and didn't, or vice versa? I mean realistic stuff, as opposed to having spent more money......

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:29 pm
Yulka, after that you need to apply new sealant, right? Probably a professional needs to do it, no?

amother, I'll let you know after this kitchen gets finished, whenever that will be Wink I already have quite a list . But since this kitchen is not for myself, I don't think the regret is quite as deep - maybe not teshuvah shleimah. LOL

kitchen designer

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:41 pm
you can apply the sealant yourself, its not very hard. And really anyone with natural stone counters should be resealing every few years or so to prevent staining

Yulka

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:44 pm
If it's a dark countertop, but not black than you don't really need to seal it. Some "granite" countertops don't even do well after sealing. That's because 96% of all countertops marketed as granite are not real granite, they are travertine and other types of stones. Only granite needs to be sealed. If it's something that will show stains than you should seal it. You can seal it yourself, you can buy a sealer at any home depot. It doesn't have a hecsher on it though.

kitchen designer

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 9:01 pm
I beg to differ - most stones should be sealed, especially travertines which are very porous and therefore more likely to absorb stains. There are different types of sealing products available and an appropriate one should be chosen. (some absorb, some sit on top)

Yulka

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:19 am
I found this website about stones
http://www.mbstone.com/HH_prom.....w.htm
this man is a very credible source. I saw him on quite a few stone forums
like: http://www.findstone.com/aw.htm
a real eye opener. I realized that many things that they teach you about granite c-tops are wrong. One really has to do their own research.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:30 am
Any chance you can both give tips on mistakes/regrets people have after putting in a kitchen. You both must be familiar, with those agonizing things that people wish they would have done differently.

Yulka

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:43 am
most people set deadlines, and I always hear that people spend more money and time than they expected.
Because it's such an involved project, something always goes wrong. Sometimes it's something minor like a damaged cabinet that has to be replaced. But sometimes it's a big thing like a design error. For Example, the ceiling height is shorter than the kitchen was designed with and there are tall pantry cabinets in the design. So many cabinets have to be replaced, or worse the whole design has to be redone. Sometimes the cabinet is so big, that it doesn't fit into the doorway.
I could go on and on. But the good thing is, is that when it's all done, it looks beautiful and people are generally happy about their kitchens

Yulka

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:48 am
Also, here's another very important tip:
There are many options out there, make sure you get exactly what you want, nothing less. Even if it costs you a little more. Save up for it. Because chances are, that you will never replace it or upgrade it later, and you will regret that you skimped on it. You would always focus on that one thing you didn't get, rather everything you did.

red sea

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 9:55 am
thanks for the links yulka, very educational

kitchen designer

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 6:25 pm
If your gonna do it - do it right. Putting in a bad quality or badly designed job will cost you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen