Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can someone clue me in? WHAT CHANGED???
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:08 pm
What changed - we now have a better understanding as to how this virus is transmitted. Large weddings and crowded minyanim are - or should be - in the very distant future, but we have seen that shopping and going to work with masks and social distancing is not high risk. There has always been some level of presumed risk even at the height- food shopping for example - but now we have expanded that to all general shopping and children playing outside.

gold21

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I was so upset to read that Hatzala discusses diagnoses that I contacted them. How can I possibly use or support a service where if you see them at my house, you’re going to know my medical issues because their people blab to others.

That's a false accusation. Not nice. Disappointed to have seen this false accusation & obvious slander.

Hatzala doesn't "discuss diagnoses" or "blab to others".

I get weekly emails from my local hospital reporting the # of current in-house covid patients, the # of current intubated covid patients, and the total # of discharged covid patients.

The numbers have been looking up week after week, and the emails are a way of encouraging and boosting the spirits of the community.

Would you consider this to be "discussing diagnoses" and "blabbing to others"?

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, May 25 2020, 11:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:15 pm
gold21 wrote:
That's a false accusation. Hatzala doesn't "discuss diagnoses" or "blab to others". I get emails weekly from my local hospital reporting the number of in-house covid cases, the number of intubated patients, and number of discharged covid cases. The numbers have been looking up week after week, and it's a way of encouraging and boosting the spirits of the community. Would you consider this to be "discussing diagnoses" and "blabbing to others"?

This. My husband has never told me anything about any of his patients. In fact, I’m approached all the time by people that tell me “your husband was so great when he came to our house.” And my reaction is “what are you talking about?” Because he would NEVER give me any info or tell me who he treated. But he did tell me that there have been basically no covid calls in the last few weeks. Don’t be ridiculous and equate the two.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I was so upset to read that Hatzala discusses diagnoses that I contacted them. How can I possibly use or support a service where if you see them at my house, you’re going to know my medical issues because their people blab to others.

SO DONT USE THEM
YOU ARE FREE TO USE AN AMBULANCE THAT WILL TAKE TWICE AS LONG TO GET TO YOU WHEN SECONDS MATTER

YOU DO YOU

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:18 pm
gold21 wrote:
That's a false accusation. Not nice. Disappointed to even read this false accusation and obvious slander on this website.

Hatzala doesn't "discuss diagnoses" or "blab to others".

I get weekly emails from my local hospital reporting the number of current in-house covid patients, the number of curent intubated covid patients, and the total number of discharged covid patients.

The numbers have been looking up week after week, and the emails are a way of encouraging and boosting the spirits of the community.

Would you consider this to be "discussing diagnoses" and "blabbing to others"?

Hatzala gets a limited number of calls in a day. When you say we had 3 covid calls last night, and you know I called hatzala, you have shared my medical information.

I contacted hatzala to ask if it’s people are sharing that information.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Hatzala gets a limited number of calls in a day. When you say we had 3 covid calls last night, and you know I called hatzala, you have shared my medical information.

How would I know you called Hatzala unless YOU shared your medical information? And ftr, Hatzala gets just a wee bit more then 3 calls a day. You’re just nitpicking and trying to find an excuse to badmouth them. Don’t use them. Call 911. They are volunteers, you’re not doing them any favors by calling them.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

What are you talking about ? Hatzolah doesn’t share anyone’s private information. All he provided was a fact of whether there were any Covid related calls recently. How does that even come close to me knowing your medical issues? My brother has been in Hatzolah for over 20 years and has never shared a single person’s personal or medical information ever with me. I did have recipients of my brother’s service come to me to tell me what a Baal chesed my brother is and THEY told me their stories. Hatzolah members are not blabbing your information to anybody. You took what people stated here about Covid 19 and completely twisted their words.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

I don't know where you are located. But hatzala does not get a limited number of calls. The calls for queens also go out to Long Island.

They haven't violated anything. They have provided our community with tremendous chessed and I have hakarat hatov to them for that.

And if I had moolah I'd send it their way.

gold21

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:27 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Just to clarify, how would I know that you called hatzala?

silverlining3

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:37 pm
To me a 2nd wave is, those who weren't exposed yet. Those who haven't stepped foot out yet and eventually will.
As far as I know, this virus stays in the air. That being said, whenever things will be up once again, with or without guidelines, even in 3 months or so, and those who were strictly quarantining will start going out, there will likely be some new cases. Knowing now somewhat more about the virus than weeks ago, I doubt hospital will get overwhelmed.

Do we know for sure that the vaccine will be THE cure?? Some still get the flu even they took the flu shot!
This is my thoughts......

Though I really hope this is a pandemic and will completely shortly fizzle out and not a virus that will return every year. Amen!

thriver

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:38 pm
Laughing at the way the topic jumps. But to go back to the original question: it’s not all or nothing. We do not have to be either on lockdown or completely back to the old “normal.” We are right now slowly moving into further phases to “test the water” so to speak. People should remain cautious and move slowly: continue to maintain social distancing but you can go to minyanim following social distancing, shopping whatever your state allows while following your state’s recommended practices. We are moving through phases at a measured pace and if we are progressing safely—using actual data NOT anecdotal evidence, we will continue to move into the next phase. If chas v’shalom things get worse, we will move back a phase.

IyH the true Rofeh will bring a refuah to all the cholim in need. Yeshuos Hashem k’heref ayin. May our yeshua not be one of returning to the “old normal” but rather that of the Geulah shelaima.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I think that if there is a treatment protocol and a large enough supply of necessary drugs, my age group will rejoin the human race.

My 75 year old relative left his house for the first time yesterday!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I can confirm that for you. My husband is an Hatzalah coordinator in Brooklyn (in an area that was hit with 100s of calls between Purim & Pesach), and there has been not even ONE covid related call, and definitely no transport for the past 3-4 weeks! Chasdai Hashem! I have seen the data reports myself.

And my brother is a Hatzalah medic in Rockland county and the same stats reporting there. Bh.

Boruch Hashem, thank you Hashem!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:42 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
To me a 2nd wave is, those who weren't exposed yet. Those who haven't stepped foot out yet and eventually will.
As far as I know, this virus stays in the air. That being said, whenever things will be up once again, with or without guidelines, even in 3 months or so, and those who were strictly quarantining will start going out, there will likely be some new cases. Knowing now somewhat more about the virus than weeks ago, I doubt hospital will get overwhelmed.

Do we know for sure that the vaccine will be THE cure?? Some still get the flu even they took the flu shot!

Though I really hope this is a pandemic and will completely shortly fizzle out and not a virus that will return every year. Amen!

The virus does not stay in the air.

A second wave would be the virus returning during a time where there is no social distancing and no herd immunity.

A vaccine isn't a cure. Its a preventative measure.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You've all given wonderful arguments to support the economic or humanitarian side of reopening, but no one has addressed the Jewish halachic/hashkafic side. If such extreme measures were put into place by our Rabbinic leaders for the sake of sakanas nefashos, now that the curve is flattened or the economy needs to be reopened, or "my kids won't stay sane staying inside" or even "the number of new cases have gone down so the risk is theoretically less" are irrelevant to the issue of sakanas nefashos. While our government leaders have our society's interests at large in mind, by reopening they are willing to accept a certain amount of deaths c"v (for a "greater" cause - that I am not arguing with). But halacha/hashkafa values the life of even one person, and so long as the risk to individuals is basically the same, I don't understand the decision to reopen on a community level.

Originally society went along with the closure cuz of skanos nefashos but by now its turned political so no need to go along with it. Democratic states are closed, Republican opened, & they seem to be fearing very well...

amother
Wine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 11:47 pm
silverlining3 wrote:

Other coronaviruses only have a 34 week immunity. Some have 2 years.
BAsed on what do you assume this immunity is longer?
Read up on the Spanish flu second wave. It’s terrifying
(I still think we need to open up - just not spread false info).

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:00 am
Op, what changed is something very simple.
A few weeks ago thousands of people were sick. The last few 2-3 weeks for some reason, people aren’t getting sick with it this virus. Just like we don’t understand how fast it came upon us, we also don’t understand how it seems to have left.
Being that this virus is deadly, things are not completely back to normal yet as people are taking precautions. We hope and pray that we will not have to experience a second wave of this horrible illness but for now it seems to have quieted down.
Another thing is that people believe that if they have acquired antibodies to this virus then they cannot get sick again so they feel safe to go about their usual business.
Personally I was very sick close to 2 months ago. I was so worried that I might get sick again so I have not been going out of my house. This week I was convinced after reading different things that for now I won’t get this virus in the near future (no one knows what will be in the distant future). For the first time in around 2 months I went shopping, took care of some errands... I have not let ANYONE in my house in 2 months. I am having guests for shavuos (who have been tested for positive antibodies).
Things change. You have to keep up to date and follow in order to know.

Supermom#1

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Each one of your arguments is anecdotal/speculative. Holds no water in this conversation without supporting data.

gosh, do you work for the governor?

Supermom#1

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This may be true in one or several locations. But even if it was true in most/all locations ( which we don't have info on), a second wave could c"v start as easily as the first - exactly the same way the first wave happened. Nothing has changed since the first wave. No vaccine, no treatment, no herd immunity. The fact that new infections are less may theoretically slightly minimize the risk AT THIS GIVEN MOMENT, but does not minimize the risk of future outbreaks c"v. So again, what changed???

I know that the media did a real great job scaring the wits out of us but most of us simple can't live while constantly worrying about every little probable, eventual, possible calamity. If I would, I probably would be scared to get out of bed and face the day. So stop listening/watching the news so much and get on with life... and keep thanking Hashem for life and good health. Leave your worries to Him.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:34 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Op, what changed is something very simple.
A few weeks ago thousands of people were sick. The last few 2-3 weeks for some reason, people aren’t getting sick with it this virus. Just like we don’t understand how fast it came upon us, we also don’t understand how it seems to have left.
Being that this virus is deadly, things are not completely back to normal yet as people are taking precautions. We hope and pray that we will not have to experience a second wave of this horrible illness but for now it seems to have quieted down.
Another thing is that people believe that if they have acquired antibodies to this virus then they cannot get sick again so they feel safe to go about their usual business.
Personally I was very sick close to 2 months ago. I was so worried that I might get sick again so I have not been going out of my house. This week I was convinced after reading different things that for now I won’t get this virus in the near future (no one knows what will be in the distant future). For the first time in around 2 months I went shopping, took care of some errands... I have not let ANYONE in my house in 2 months. I am having guests for shavuos (who have been tested for positive antibodies).
Things change. You have to keep up to date and follow in order to know.

What changed is that we went into pause. Nonessential businesses were closed. Large gatherings were banned. People were asked to, and largely did, socially distance. Schools were closed. People who were able to work from home did. Mass transit ridership in NYC declined by more than 90%. Stores that were open limited the numbers of people at any time.

We were able to flatten the curve, reduce new cases, in that way.

It’s not some gee, it’s a miracle. We did what we needed to do, and it’s working.

But being complacent, starting to gather recklessly, is going to destroy that.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics