Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
So stupid not to have summer camp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:31 pm
What's so frustrating is this dichotomy. On one hand, the politicians' goals seem to be NO CASES OF COVID EVERY AGAIN. To that end, they've closed schools and camps and work.

And then, this weekend, all I've seen are "AMERICANS ARE FLOCKING OUTSIDE, DESPITE LOCKDOWNS."

Gee, really? You don't say! What else are they going to do? No one has work or camp or school!
This whole summer, do you think that, without anything to do all day, no one will venture outside? The media is furious that people are going to the parks and the beaches, but honestly, what do you think they'll do, with nothing to do all day?

None of us can win. I, for one, can't stand the idea of spending a summer indoors.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:35 pm
Who gets upset about people being outdoors? The only issue I can see is lack of SD. That poses a very real risk of a second wave that can be just as bad as the first. So people can engage in whatever activities are possible with SD. Do you really see kids and teenagers maintaining SD in camp? I don't.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:38 pm
I don't think the government's goal is no covid case ever again.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I don't think the government's goal is no covid case ever again.

They said their goal is flattening the curve. They've done that. So many hospitals are empty. Totally empty. So now what? I can only assume this is their new goal.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Who gets upset about people being outdoors? The only issue I can see is lack of SD. That poses a very real risk of a second wave that can be just as bad as the first. So people can engage in whatever activities are possible with SD. Do you really see kids and teenagers maintaining SD in camp? I don't.

https://www.hollandsentinel.co.....eared

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:17 pm
I think camps will be open. By July upstate NY should be in phase 4

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:19 pm
What makes you say no camp? My camp claims they’re 99% opening.

tweety1

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They said their goal is flattening the curve. They've done that. So many hospitals are empty. Totally empty. So now what? I can only assume this is their new goal.

My hub was in the er with a kid 2 weeks ago. He said nurses were hoarsing around, having a grand time, taking selfies and busy with playing around on the internet.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:35 pm
I keep going back and forthwith how I feel about camp. I want hand we are still five weeks away and hopefully things will be better by then. On the other hand I've been to camp I've worked in a camp and camps just a cesspool of germs it is totally fine normally just is what it is. But this is a bit different and you can't say no adults cuz if there's no adults who's watching the kids . at this point school would be better contain than a camp but no school is going to open up for 3 weeks And no one's interested in school now like I said complicated. But if camp is open and I read what they're doing I probably would send my kids unless it's an super boring.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What hospitals are “totally empty”? Names, locations, please. Hospital occupancy in the US is usually about 65%, so I’d say empty is what, 15%? 10%? NYC currently, without elective procedures' has an occupancy rate of 71% which is very close to what’s needed.

The goal is, and has always been, to reduce the number of covid infections and deaths to the minimum possible level. Closing in on 100,000 deaths in the US, it’s pretty clear we haven’t done that. But we need to keep trying. The only way to do that' since there is no effective treatment, is social distancing and shutting down to the extent required to ensure that hospitals can handle cases. Secondarily, the later you get sick, the better off you are, given what we learn every day.

We know that there will be more cases as we ease restrictions. That’s why we need contact tracers, so we can lock down the affected instead of everyone. And why we need to ensure adequate hospital capacity.

Talk about being in pause forever is absurd right wing straw man arguments. No one is talking about it. And as to NY, given that virtually the entire state will be in at least phase 1 by week end, it’s demonstrably false. FTR, DiBlasio has stated that he expects NYC to reach Phase 1 the first or second week of June.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Which hospitals in NYC are "totally empty"?
Yes, they flattened the curve. That's why the state is opening, and de Blasio said NYC should be in phase 1 by mid June

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:43 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Yes, they flattened the curve. That's why the state is opening, and de Blasio said NYC should be in phase 1 by mid June

NYC will never be empty

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:51 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
What hospitals are “totally empty”? Names, locations, please. Hospital occupancy in the US is usually about 65%, so I’d say empty is what, 15%? 10%? NYC currently, without elective procedures' has an occupancy rate of 71% which is very close to what’s needed.

The goal is, and has always been, to reduce the number of covid infections and deaths to the minimum possible level. Closing in on 100,000 deaths in the US, it’s pretty clear we haven’t done that. But we need to keep trying. The only way to do that' since there is no effective treatment, is social distancing and shutting down to the extent required to ensure that hospitals can handle cases. Secondarily, the later you get sick, the better off you are, given what we learn every day.

We know that there will be more cases as we ease restrictions. That’s why we need contact tracers, so we can lock down the affected instead of everyone. And why we need to ensure adequate hospital capacity.

Talk about being in pause forever is absurd right wing straw man arguments. No one is talking about it. And as to NY, given that virtually the entire state will be in at least phase 1 by week end, it’s demonstrably false. FTR, DiBlasio has stated that he expects NYC to reach Phase 1 the first or second week of June.

De Blasio isn't the one who declares NYC is in phase 1. Cuomo does. And they have a long-running feud so it wouldn't surprise me that De Blasio would say this just so Cuomo would that have to say no.
Also No. The goal of a lockdown has never been and never will be reducing the number of Covid infections and death. The goal of a lockdown is to not overwhelm the health system. Lockdowns do not save lives above those saved by not overwhelming the health system. The same number of people will get infected and die, just over a longer period of time.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:53 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
De Blasio isn't the one who declares NYC is in phase 1. Cuomo does. And they have a long-running feud so it wouldn't surprise me that De Blasio would say this just so Cuomo would that have to say no.
Also No. The goal of a lockdown has never been and never will be reducing the number of Covid infections and death. The goal of a lockdown is to not overwhelm the health system. Lockdowns do not save lives above those saved by not overwhelming the health system. The same number of people will get infected and die, just over a longer period of time.

Don't forget the lives saved as treatment protocols improve over time.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 12:56 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Don't forget the lives saved as treatment protocols improve over time.

But those aren't calculated into the lockdown. No politician is saying we're going to be in lockdown until they have a treatment protocol. This virus has now been around for at least 5 months and we haven't seen any breakthrough drugs nor has any announcement been made that they are on the horizon.
Even Fauci is saying that over-extended lockdowns can cause "irreparable harm"

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:11 am
My granddaughter went to the ER at Catskills Regional Hospital about a month ago for a foot injury and the ER was empty.
In a typical summer, however, lots of kids have minor injuries so it will be crowded for typical reasons.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:13 am

DiBlasio is very much aware of what NYC needs to do enter phase 1. He understands the trends and data, and most importantly, knows where NYC is with contact tracers. He has as good a feel for when it will happen as anyone, including Cuomo.

I know that the right has decided that it’s all political, but that’s just a talking point to convince people that 100,000 dead in 3 months isn’t so bad. It’s clearly worked here. But the parameters are set. NYC just has to meet them. No feud between DiBlasio and Cuomo is going to change that.

And of course the goal has always been reducing deaths. If the calculus was the same number of deaths over a shorter or longer period, social distancing would be worthless. We need to flatten the curve to allow the health care system to function. But a clear secondary point is to give researchers time to develop treatment strategies. For example, we now know that patients may be suffering from oxygen deficiencies without knowing it. We know to recommend prone placement. You’re better off getting sick today than you were in March, and most likely you’ll be much better off next fall than today.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:13 am
But those aren't calculated into the lockdown. No politician is saying we're going to be in lockdown until they have a treatment protocol. This virus has now been around for at least 5 months and we haven't seen any breakthrough drugs nor has any announcement been made that they are on the horizon.
Even Fauci is saying that over-extended lockdowns can cause "irreparable harm"

I placing my bets on cannibis. Remdesivir also looks like a keeper.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:18 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

I took my kid to the ER and all four triage nurses were ready and waiting to check me in. They were laughing and playing around when I showed up. No one was in the waiting room. We got a bed right away. No one else was around. I asked everyone I met and they said it had been like this for weeks already.

But don’t take my word for it. Google ER or Hospital empty. In fact, most are furloughing staff because no one is coming in.

soap suds

Post Tue, May 26 2020, 1:53 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

Guess what? The kids and teens that I know are not maintaining SD in the City now, either. That's the part that's so frustrating. It's not like the choice is staying home and social distancing vs. camp w/o SD. They're not SDing either way. The difference is that when they're home, they keep going back and forth from one place to another, while in camp they're all "sheltering in place" with their friends.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics