Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Who else isnt sending to daycamp even if they open?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:03 pm
Anyone else not sending to daycamp, regardless of whether or not they open and have a slot? Due to covid?

Our pediatrician (in monsey) recommended not to send unless we had absolutely no choice. Highly unlikely to truly distance the children the way you need to in order to reduce transmission, etc. Stop the spread...
So we arent sending our kids to daycamp. Will come up with an alternate solution.

Anyone else?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:07 pm
We aren't. We had already signed up before this but we told them we're not sending. Swimming lessons started up again but we weren't satisfied with their "new guidelines" and told them we were going to wait a bit longer before sending back. Things are opening here but we're still being cautious, none of the shuls here are planning on opening before August/September, there are a lot of people here who work with the CDC and one of the rabbis is a physician so we're going by when they're starting to be more comfortable. I trust them because they don't have an agenda to open before it's safe.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:08 pm
If my day camps refunds the 600$ deposit I gave them, then I would highly consider. Butt I doubt they will be refunding it so I will likely end up sendinng🤷‍♀️

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:36 pm
I'm not planning on sending. Maybe if I wasn't pregnant I would.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:41 pm
Do you know if the pediatricians concern was Covid or the Kawasaki like Syndrome?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Do you know if the pediatricians concern was Covid or the Kawasaki like Syndrome?

I dont think it was specifically because of kawasaki.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:49 pm
We aren't sending to daycare or camp this summer. We are in Cincinnati.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 2:52 pm
If there will be daycamp , I am sending . I work and need it as a babysitting service

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:08 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
We aren't. We had already signed up before this but we told them we're not sending. Swimming lessons started up again but we weren't satisfied with their "new guidelines" and told them we were going to wait a bit longer before sending back. Things are opening here but we're still being cautious, none of the shuls here are planning on opening before August/September, there are a lot of people here who work with the CDC and one of the rabbis is a physician so we're going by when they're starting to be more comfortable. I trust them because they don't have an agenda to open before it's safe.

wow...where are you located?

crl

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 5:10 am
Nope. Not sending.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:42 am
As things stand now will send if we are comfortable with the set up -- like small groups distanced outside no swim supervised cleaning of bathrooms and washing and sanitizing of hands no sharing food etc -- like controlled satellite camp groups -- our kids will thrive on the schedule and socialization and should be okay if done smartly with trustworthy people IY"H.

Seems for us the benefits outweigh the risks for us though I completely understand not sending.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:48 am
Camp has already started where I live, but we're not sending. I'll see how things go over the next few weeks and decide if I want to send for second half

Stars

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:53 am
Definitely sending. Throw the tomatoes.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:54 am
blue- are you going to be home with them or plan on having a babysitter watch them?
do you usually send? I also live in Cincinnati and don't plan to send but that's because my kids don't want to go, nothing to do with COVID 19.

top mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 7:56 am
Stars wrote:
Definitely sending. Throw the tomatoes.

No tomatoes, everyone has to do what works best for their families' needs.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:01 pm
Nope not sending. I’m assuming The regulations will be followed to the same extent as my husband’s backyard minyan where no one wears masks anymore etc.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone else not sending to daycamp, regardless of whether or not they open and have a slot? Due to covid?

Our pediatrician (in monsey) recommended not to send unless we had absolutely no choice. Highly unlikely to truly distance the children the way you need to in order to reduce transmission, etc. Stop the spread...
So we arent sending our kids to daycamp. Will come up with an alternate solution.

Anyone else?

Since you’re anonymous can I ask if you or your kids have any underlying conditions? Why would your pediatrician be stricter than the law?
Don’t know anyone in monsey not sending that’s why I’m surprised your pediatrician said that. Wonder if it’s a blanket statement or for your personal situation.

FUNMOM88

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:06 pm
Definitely sending !! Mental health and kids social life important and outweigh risks of covid right now

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
blue- are you going to be home with them or plan on having a babysitter watch them?
do you usually send? I also live in Cincinnati and don't plan to send but that's because my kids don't want to go, nothing to do with COVID 19.
Babysitting mostly. A single babysitter, babysitting exclusively for us at our home. The remainder will be covered by me, my husband, or one of the very close relatives we have de-distanced from.

DH and I both work full-time, so in normal times my kids always go to school or camp, along with aftercare and often additional babysitting. My kids would love to go to daycare and camp this summer, but they also have a good time with each other and their relatives too.

When school starts up, we do plan to send, unless something unexpected happens. But we prefer to err on the side of caution for the summer, and we are lucky enough BH to be able to afford to do so.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Since you’re anonymous can I ask if you or your kids have any underlying conditions? Why would your pediatrician be stricter than the law?
Don’t know anyone in monsey not sending that’s why I’m surprised your pediatrician said that. Wonder if it’s a blanket statement or for your personal situation.

Because opening day camps is critical as a form of child care. Therefore a cost benefit analysis was made just as a lot of stuff is being opened even though it isn't necessarily safe.

A medical professional recommended the safest option. Unless there are strong reasons for camp, of course it is safer for the child and the family to continue to social distance. Some posters are lucky to have the option to NOT send their children to camp because they don't need to work during the summer.

I am a cynic and therefore I will assume that the recommendations for safety will be mostly ignored - either intentionally or because they are impossible to enforce. If you read the guidelines they are NOT mandated - every restriction is modified by "if possible"; take reasonable measures etc. This means that effectively it's the Wild West in terms of each camp owner determine what is "reasonable" and what is "possible.

And keep in mind that the restrictions cost a lot of money so a private camp is going to be tempted to cut corners and some of the cheap camps are not going to even attempt to have these kinds of costly restrictions because they don't have the budget.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics