Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
NY Camps Cancelled
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12 13  14  15  Next

soap suds

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Except in Cuomo's mind, day camp will require mask (Ey, nobody in chassidishville is wearing masks.... shoyn), but camp you can't require masks 24 hours.

#1 What mind?

#2 day camp guidelines do not require masks. Basically, kids must be in groups of 10 with no interaction between 1 group and the other. Masks are required on buses.

#3 Based on the way his alleged mind works, I can totally see him requiring masks in camp, even while eating and sleeping.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:02 pm
fleetwood wrote:
I could say the same to you. Chill out!

go to your rooms.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Except in Cuomo's mind, day camp will require mask (Ey, nobody in chassidishville is wearing masks.... shoyn), but camp you can't require masks 24 hours.

Day campers are not required to wear any sort of mask or face covering.
Staff are mandated to wear masks.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:05 pm
Does anyone know which daycamps are (or are not) opening in Flatbush??? Masores???

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:14 pm
soap suds wrote:
They share bathrooms in day camp too, and I don't think there's any evidence that the virus is more likely to spread at night than during the day. If they're playing together all day anyways, sleeping together won't make it or break it. It's either safe for them to be exposed to other kids or it isn't.

It apparently could be transmitted though sleeping near an infected person. There was a group of migrant farm workers in Tennessee who shared bunkhouses at night and were together both day and night. The group had a 100% infection rate. People cough while sleeping.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:19 pm
soap suds wrote:
How's it safer to shop or do bike repairs, internships and whatever, than to learn/play together with other kids your age?

I'm not saying it's safer but it should be as safe as day camp. By internship, I mean that kids will fix real people's bikes, build shtenders, whatever under supervision. The idea is, give kids who can't be in sleepaway camp some enjoyable and productive experience. (My original post also included shiur of some sort. I think. Too much to catch up on to check.)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:21 pm
soap suds wrote:
I’m not a doctor, but I know there are doctors who support camps opening.

Even if it’s true that it’s more likely to spread in camp, my question still stands. Are you willing to risk your child’s health by sending to day camp? If one kid brings it to day camp, there’s a chance your child might catch it and bring it home to the rest of your family.

I would even take it one step further, let’s say one kid does bring it to camp, and let’s say the entire camp catches it. What are the risks of any of the kids becoming really sick with it beyond a day or 2 with fever? Statistically, most of them won’t have any symptoms at all. What are the chances that even one kid in the entire camp will need to be hospitalized? I say (as a non medical professional), close to zero.

We should be way more concerned about a trip to a water park, then about Covid (disclaimer: at this point, and about this population).

I live OOT. If my kids were camp age, they could be at least a few hours away, if not more. By car, if we were lucky.

And water park? I don't think any camps are talking trips at all.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:40 pm
soap suds wrote:

Even if it’s true that it’s more likely to spread in camp, my question still stands. Are you willing to risk your child’s health by sending to day camp? If one kid brings it to day camp, there’s a chance your child might catch it and bring it home to the rest of your family.

I would even take it one step further, let’s say one kid does bring it to camp, and let’s say the entire camp catches it. What are the risks of any of the kids becoming really sick with it beyond a day or 2 with fever? Statistically, most of them won’t have any symptoms at all. What are the chances that even one kid in the entire camp will need to be hospitalized? I say (as a non medical professional), close to zero.

We should be way more concerned about a trip to a water park, then about Covid (disclaimer: at this point, and about this population).

A majority of the kids in my children’s daycamps are already together now. The chances of new cases developing are much fewer. Sleepaway camp is combining thousands of kids who were not exposed to each other at all. Many may not have antibodies. There are communities mixing, cross-contamination and germs.

(Personally? I would love for my kids to go to their planned day/sleepaway camps. But I still think it’s important to look at the data with an unbiased eye.)

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:42 pm
soap suds wrote:
#1 What mind?

#2 day camp guidelines do not require masks. Basically, kids must be in groups of 10 with no interaction between 1 group and the other. Masks are required on buses.

#3 Based on the way his alleged mind works, I can totally see him requiring masks in camp, even while eating and sleeping.

LOL thanks for the laugh

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 9:51 pm
To be honest one big difference between day camp and sleepaway camp ( I have kids signed up for both) is if you see your child even a bit under the weather you can keep home that day and see how it goes I can sometimes just look at my kids and be like hey something wrong you must be coming down with something and I am usally 99.9% right they hate it. But in sleep away camp it might be harder to see it at first glance it it can be like you look dehydrated drink or maybe your homesick. I not saying camp should close I just am happy I am not the one making these decisions. I will send if they open because they need it. But I can understand sadly if they don't.

pause

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 10:36 pm
cnc wrote:
Boys or girls?

Girls.

I believe everyone will "work something out" for the boys, one way or another IYKWIM.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:41 pm
pause wrote:
Girls.

I believe everyone will "work something out" for the boys, one way or another IYKWIM.

Maybe they'll rent out a bungalow colony nearby for the boys to sleep in as families and then bus them in to camp every day as daycampers LOL .

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:52 pm
Is this really true and confirmed?
No sleep away camps in NY?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Is this really true and confirmed?
No sleep away camps in NY?

Not official yet.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:18 am
some camps are looking for space in PA

Miri1

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 12:20 am
soap suds wrote:

It would be like the "corona hotels" in Israel.
They were having a ball because b"H people in the hotels were only mildly sick, and they could all get together and party, have a minyan, the works... while the rest of the country was sitting at home.

soap suds

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:01 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I live OOT. If my kids were camp age, they could be at least a few hours away, if not more. By car, if we were lucky.

And water park? I don't think any camps are talking trips at all.

This year they aren’t. My point was, do we shut down camps because of the risk of kids drowning?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Does anyone know which daycamps are (or are not) opening in Flatbush??? Masores???

Rena and BYA are opening. Don't know about Masores.

soap suds

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 1:10 am
OldYoung wrote:
A majority of the kids in my children’s daycamps are already together now. The chances of new cases developing are much fewer. Sleepaway camp is combining thousands of kids who were not exposed to each other at all. Many may not have antibodies. There are communities mixing, cross-contamination and germs.

(Personally? I would love for my kids to go to their planned day/sleepaway camps. But I still think it’s important to look at the data with an unbiased eye.)

You’re right about it being a mixture of different communities. My question still stands. Even if every single camper gets infected (which won’t happen, since many of them do have antibodies and kids will be tested before coming to camp so the chances of them being exposed is slim), how many will symptomatic? How many of those will feel sick as in running a fever and having to stay in bed? Of those, how many will need to be hospitalized c”v? My guesstimate is zero.

So there will be those that will say, even one hospitalization is too many. Do you want your child to be the one... Hence my comment about water parks, or for that matter swimming, or sports.

The potential risk is so minute that it in no way justifies shutting down camps completely.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Jun 11 2020, 6:04 am
I think that most parents who are thinking about potential sleepaway camp risks are also considering the greater community, not just [the minute risks to] their own children.
Page 12 of 15   Previous  1  2  3 11  12 13  14  15  Next Recent Topics