Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
FYI Lag BaOmer in Meron cancelled this year.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:12 am
https://m.jpost.com/breaking-n.....00666

Just in case anyones husband was planning to come, let them know. Its going to be closed for security.

Elfrida  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:52 am
Based on what happened during corona, I'm not sure how successful this will be.

Reality

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:54 am
I think this time people will listen. They are having the bonfire in Beit Shemesh instead. Over 30,000 people are expected to come.

Elfrida  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:05 am
I don't think a bonfire in Beit Shemesh will work as the substitutefor being at the kever of Rav Shimon bar Yochai, and the multiple fires. It will be a nice event, but can't replace Meron.

How are they allowed to plan an event for over 30,000? I thought there were was a general feeling against large scale events. Yom haZikaron the crowds on Har Herzl were limited to 5,000.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:06 am
What's so sad is that Hamas is probably celebrating the fact that historic Lag Baomer will not be happening cuz of them...

teachkids

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:08 am
What's interesting to me is that it's motzei shabbos this year and every time it's motzei shabbos it becomes a whole thing of how to make it not involve chilul shabbos.

patzer  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:12 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
What's so sad is that Hamas is probably celebrating the fact that historic Lag Baomer will not be happening cuz of them...

That is, indeed, sad.
But it's still preferable to Hamas celebrating the fact that it will be happening, thereby providing them with easy targets.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:14 am
It's really not the end of the world.

You're just not meant to get together a huge part of Klal Yisroel to celebrate except near the Har Habayis when the Beis H was standing or the kosel now.

It's very controvertial but this whole shitck of going is pretty new. there was hardly a minyan a few decades ago.

Nowadays, it's literally turned into an Avoda Zora. People dancing around fires... Ridiculous.

I

patzer  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:18 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
It's really not the end of the world.

You're just not meant to get together a huge part of Klal Yisroel to celebrate except near the Har Habayis when the Beis H was standing or the kosel now.

It's very controvertial but this whole shitck of going is pretty new. there was hardly a minyan a few decades ago.

Nowadays, it's literally turned into an Avoda Zora. People dancing around fires... Ridiculous.

I

What's wrong with dancing around a fire?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:27 am
amother Obsidian wrote:

Its fine. We, knowledgeable Jews know that we are keeping a D'orysah (VeNishmartem Me'Od) and not keeping Meron one year in order to keep it many years to come, is keeping the Torah and Tzav HaSha'ah. The important thing is keeping the Torah together in Eretz Yisroel.

a2z  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:34 am
Just mentioning that if there will be a siren meron only has 30 seconds to take cover

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:36 am
Didn’t think there would be.
Too dangerous to have that many in one place in the north right now

patzer

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:37 am
a2z wrote:
Just mentioning that if there will be a siren meron only has 30 seconds to take cover

Your illustration, while cute Tongue Out , was perhaps a bit .... insensitive? Rolling Eyes

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:37 am
a2z wrote:

It doesn't matter if they have thirty seconds or 1½ minutes. There isn't safe shelter in Meron to accommodate the crowds that normally go on Lag b'Omer. And if there was, they wouldn't be able to get into it even in five minutes.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:40 am
I think this time it will work (even the yerushalmi kanoim are nto planning on going - athough they have pashkevilim blaming the zionim for closing during corona, and claiming this as a mida kneged mida Can't Believe It Banging head )

Also - my parents live up north. The whole meron area is basically a military base. Not just a couple of police like last time - we are talking hundreds of soldiers stationed there....

Also peole where not actually scared of corona - they felt like the goverment was being over cautious. They are actually scared of Hezbollah

a2z  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:44 am
Elfrida wrote:
It doesn't matter if they have thirty seconds or 1½ minutes. There isn't safe shelter in Meron to accommodate the crowds that normally go on Lag b'Omer. And if there was, they wouldn't be able to get into it even in five minutes.

Sorry I didn't elaborate.
But this is exactly what I meant

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:20 am
patzer wrote:
Your illustration, while cute Tongue Out , was perhaps a bit .... insensitive? Rolling Eyes

Why? It's the reality.

giftedmom  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:29 am
Yeah Americans know this and most aren’t planning on going. Except those who are planning to be “one of the ten people who go”.
People def have more respect for hizbolla rockets than for corona.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:30 am
Do we think people are going to listen?
I'm having memories of when Ukraine said no Uman for Rosh Hashana because of the war.
So everyone was sneaking into borders. And we got pictures of 6 year olds sleeping on the ground at the Moldavian border or something.

amother
Charcoal  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:47 am
My sons rebbe in cheder went every single year to meron. A couple of years ago ( before corona) he decided hes not going and that year he won a raffle for a ticket to Israel for lag baomer so he continued going.
This year he told his students hes not going because there is a war going on and it's not safe.
I heard people need to be matir neder if they went every year and not this year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days