Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
FYI Lag BaOmer in Meron cancelled this year.
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:12 am
https://m.jpost.com/breaking-n.....00666

Just in case anyones husband was planning to come, let them know. Its going to be closed for security.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:52 am
Based on what happened during corona, I'm not sure how successful this will be.
Back to top

Reality




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:54 am
I think this time people will listen. They are having the bonfire in Beit Shemesh instead. Over 30,000 people are expected to come.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:05 am
I don't think a bonfire in Beit Shemesh will work as the substitutefor being at the kever of Rav Shimon bar Yochai, and the multiple fires. It will be a nice event, but can't replace Meron.

How are they allowed to plan an event for over 30,000? I thought there were was a general feeling against large scale events. Yom haZikaron the crowds on Har Herzl were limited to 5,000.
Back to top

amother
Obsidian


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:06 am
What's so sad is that Hamas is probably celebrating the fact that historic Lag Baomer will not be happening cuz of them...
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:08 am
What's interesting to me is that it's motzei shabbos this year and every time it's motzei shabbos it becomes a whole thing of how to make it not involve chilul shabbos.
Back to top

patzer




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:12 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
What's so sad is that Hamas is probably celebrating the fact that historic Lag Baomer will not be happening cuz of them...


That is, indeed, sad.
But it's still preferable to Hamas celebrating the fact that it will be happening, thereby providing them with easy targets.
Back to top

amother
NeonPurple


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:14 am
It's really not the end of the world.

You're just not meant to get together a huge part of Klal Yisroel to celebrate except near the Har Habayis when the Beis H was standing or the kosel now.

It's very controvertial but this whole shitck of going is pretty new. there was hardly a minyan a few decades ago.

Nowadays, it's literally turned into an Avoda Zora. People dancing around fires... Ridiculous.

I
Back to top

patzer




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:18 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
It's really not the end of the world.

You're just not meant to get together a huge part of Klal Yisroel to celebrate except near the Har Habayis when the Beis H was standing or the kosel now.

It's very controvertial but this whole shitck of going is pretty new. there was hardly a minyan a few decades ago.

Nowadays, it's literally turned into an Avoda Zora. People dancing around fires... Ridiculous.

I


What's wrong with dancing around a fire?
Back to top

B'Syata D'Shmya




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:27 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
What's so sad is that Hamas is probably celebrating the fact that historic Lag Baomer will not be happening cuz of them...


Its fine. We, knowledgeable Jews know that we are keeping a D'orysah (VeNishmartem Me'Od) and not keeping Meron one year in order to keep it many years to come, is keeping the Torah and Tzav HaSha'ah. The important thing is keeping the Torah together in Eretz Yisroel.
Back to top

a2z




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:34 am
Just mentioning that if there will be a siren meron only has 30 seconds to take cover
Back to top

amother
Nasturtium


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:36 am
Didn’t think there would be.
Too dangerous to have that many in one place in the north right now
Back to top

patzer




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:37 am
a2z wrote:
Just mentioning that if there will be a siren meron only has 30 seconds to take cover


Your illustration, while cute Tongue Out , was perhaps a bit .... insensitive? Rolling Eyes
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:37 am
a2z wrote:
Just mentioning that if there will be a siren meron only has 30 seconds to take cover


It doesn't matter if they have thirty seconds or 1½ minutes. There isn't safe shelter in Meron to accommodate the crowds that normally go on Lag b'Omer. And if there was, they wouldn't be able to get into it even in five minutes.
Back to top

amother
Burgundy


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:40 am
I think this time it will work (even the yerushalmi kanoim are nto planning on going - athough they have pashkevilim blaming the zionim for closing during corona, and claiming this as a mida kneged mida Can't Believe It Banging head )

Also - my parents live up north. The whole meron area is basically a military base. Not just a couple of police like last time - we are talking hundreds of soldiers stationed there....

Also peole where not actually scared of corona - they felt like the goverment was being over cautious. They are actually scared of Hezbollah
Back to top

a2z




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:44 am
Elfrida wrote:
It doesn't matter if they have thirty seconds or 1½ minutes. There isn't safe shelter in Meron to accommodate the crowds that normally go on Lag b'Omer. And if there was, they wouldn't be able to get into it even in five minutes.


Sorry I didn't elaborate.
But this is exactly what I meant
Back to top

Iymnok




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:20 am
patzer wrote:
Your illustration, while cute Tongue Out , was perhaps a bit .... insensitive? Rolling Eyes

Why? It's the reality.
Back to top

giftedmom




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:29 am
Yeah Americans know this and most aren’t planning on going. Except those who are planning to be “one of the ten people who go”.
People def have more respect for hizbolla rockets than for corona.
Back to top

amother
Cappuccino


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:30 am
Do we think people are going to listen?
I'm having memories of when Ukraine said no Uman for Rosh Hashana because of the war.
So everyone was sneaking into borders. And we got pictures of 6 year olds sleeping on the ground at the Moldavian border or something.
Back to top

amother
Charcoal


 

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:47 am
My sons rebbe in cheder went every single year to meron. A couple of years ago ( before corona) he decided hes not going and that year he won a raffle for a ticket to Israel for lag baomer so he continued going.
This year he told his students hes not going because there is a war going on and it's not safe.
I heard people need to be matir neder if they went every year and not this year.
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days

Related Topics Replies Last Post
5 year old saw in the mikvah what do I say??
by amother
20 Today at 8:20 am View last post
[ Poll ] Would you say no your ADHD almost 12 year old 95% of the tim
by amother
28 Today at 7:34 am View last post
5 year old dentist anxiety HELP
by amother
4 Today at 3:05 am View last post
5 year old constantly spilling food 1 Tue, Jun 11 2024, 8:39 am View last post
Gift for 2 year old
by amother
3 Mon, Jun 10 2024, 8:48 pm View last post