Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What stuff to buy to help her fit in to camp
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:09 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Please don't make yourself seem holier than though. Every mother wants their kids to fit in.

It's not about "holier than thou"
It baffles me.
Just as I said: I thought the question was a joke!

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:12 am
Ora in town wrote:
Are you really serous about that?
Is the society you live in really like that?
I would question my school choice if those things were essential for my children to fit it...

You sound like you're speaking from some personal and bitter experience. Is that true?

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:13 am
Ora in town wrote:
It's not about "holier than thou"
It baffles me.
Just as I said: I thought the question was a joke!

It's not such a baffling question.
If you think it's a joke you probably don't have teens. Or when you were a teen you were the odd one out.

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:14 am
happy12 wrote:
She should ask her friends going to.the same camp what they are bringing.

This.

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:14 am
Rappel wrote:
You sound like you're speaking from some personal and bitter experience. Is that true?

No, on the contrary...
I just could not fathom that parents would give in to peer pressure to this extent...
And that so many parents would agree that it's a good thing...

Sounds like a completely superficial society to me...

rdmom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:15 am
Please let me know what camp your daughter is going to. My daughter is the same age. She isn’t going to camp because hers isn’t opening but some of her friends are going.
If you want, you can pm me and then I can ask my daughter what’s in style now.
I totally get you. I had the same thing last year with my daughter. It is so important that they fit in. To all the mothers saying otherwise, good for you for instilling such confidence in your kids. Or not. We will see in a couple of years when they join imamother and complain that they were the nebs. Not that kids will make fun of them. Not saying that. Just that they won’t feel like they fit in. Why not make their life easier if you can.

sky

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:16 am
Ora in town wrote:
But why would you want to keep your child in the company of other children who will snob them if they don't have the "right" slides and sweatshirts and pants and pyjamas?

What kind of values are those?

Why would you want your children to "fit in" to such a society?

And don't you kind of feel guilty of encouraging such an atmosphere in your society'

Every society has standards And expectations. In a simple place you’ll have a hard time fitting in if too fancy.

I don’t think the kids would snub him anyways But why should I make my kid bevthe one to stick out. It’s never a good idea

I’ve never heard of a child in any community that was happy being the oddball out.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:16 am
Ora in town wrote:
No, on the contrary...
I just could not fathom that parents would give in to peer pressure in this extent...

Every society is the same at it's own level.
Wanting to fit in is not giving into peer pressure to such an extent.

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:20 am
Ora in town wrote:
No, on the contrary...
I just could not fathom that parents would give in to peer pressure to this extent...

I wouldn't say we are a completely superficial society, but most of us are superficial to a certain extent.
(Not me, of course...! Wink )

Besides, I don't think OP intends on purchasing every single trendy item, but why not get a few in-style things for her daughter?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:21 am
I don't know about that age, but I've seen (not all with one kid, lol)

Bungee camp chair
Adidas slides
Butter or other brand sweatshirt
Pictures to hand on wall above bed
Fun pattern linen
Throw pillow and/or throw

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:22 am
This is one advantage of shopping in a frum store. They usually carry what's in style for frum people. Ask advice from the sales ladies.

dandan

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:25 am
Ok since all the mothers on here are being obnoxious and telling you that you shouldn’t try and help your daughter fit in, I will!

So things that are in right now are
Light three quarter and long sleeve tees- ribbed is super trendy and very comfortable.
White sneakers are in too
Aviator nation is a company that a lot of girls are wearing its on the expensive side though....
Scrunchies are cute and super in
For shabbos everyone’s looking for easy breezy loose fitting dresses that are comfy
I think long black straight skirts are always in for camp meli makes good ones
Sides are popular- champion adidas birkenstocks to name a few
Also, tie dye sweatshirts and t shorts are very in now
And maybe a dri fit cap? Not sure if that’s necessary but very in now
And another thing is a hydro flask water bottle

Hope this helps!

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 8:30 am
dandan wrote:
Ok since all the mothers on here are being obnoxious and telling you that you shouldn’t try and help your daughter fit in, I will!

So things that are in right now are
Light three quarter and long sleeve tees- ribbed is super trendy and very comfortable.
White sneakers are in too
Aviator nation is a company that a lot of girls are wearing its on the expensive side though....
Scrunchies are cute and super in
For shabbos everyone’s looking for easy breezy loose fitting dresses that are comfy
I think long black straight skirts are always in for camp meli makes good ones
Sides are popular- champion adidas birkenstocks to name a few
Also, tie dye sweatshirts and t shorts are very in now
And maybe a dri fit cap? Not sure if that’s necessary but very in now
And another thing is a hydro flask water bottle

Hope this helps!

Not "all mothers" here are being obnoxious, just 1. The rest of us were giving advice.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 10:11 am
I don't have girls that are camp age but I do have a child that doesn't " fit in" for reasons beyond our control and I understand that it is essential not to let him stand out in a obvious way, if I can help it. He doesn't need two strikes against him. My heart breaks for my child because he literally has no friends. Would you fargin him a camp chair, or the right sneakers??
I don't know OP daughters situation but I can use my imagination to be Dan her l' kaf zechus ( I'd don't think it so wrong to have trendy items to begin with either) I don't have to know the reason, I just have to draw on my resources to think positively about others.

number

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 1:56 pm
Ora in town wrote:
No, on the contrary...

I feel traumatized just reading your comments. I really hope you don’t have teens and that you figure it out before your kids hit that age.

Op my personal hack is looking at clothing stores on Instagram to see what styles theyre showing. Brooklyn Southwest, polka dot, June’s, etc

Ora in town

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:02 pm
number wrote:
I feel traumatized just reading your comments. I really hope you don’t have teens and that you figure it out before your kids hit that age.

Op my personal hack is looking at clothing stores on Instagram to see what styles theyre showing. Brooklyn Southwest, polka dot, June’s, etc

Poor you!
I hope you will get appropriate help!

paintbrush

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 2:37 pm
Ora in town wrote:
I would not really blame my daughter for buying clothes according to those criteria.
But for the mother to ask questions like this?
Come on!
What is the kind of society you live in?
why do you yield so much to peer pressure?
You are supposed to be the adults in all this!

It is a perfectly valid question for a mother to ask. She didn’t say she’s going to buy every trendy item even if she can’t afford it, she just wants and idea so that her daughter won’t stick out. I think it’s great for the mother to find out. My mother used to do the same thing when I went to camp.
OP I think someone mentioned, if you look online at frum websites, they usually carry what’s in style. Even if you don’t want to pay the prices of the frum stores, you can browse to get an idea of the trends. Also ask girls you daughter’s age. Good luck!

Learning

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:10 pm
Op you should post this question on a thread with an option for an anonymous reply.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:24 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Please don't make yourself seem holier than thou. Every mother wants their kids to fit in.

Thank you saying what I can't say (for fear of getting warned or banned because I don't hide behind amother).

happyfaces

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 3:27 pm
Ora in town wrote:
No, on the contrary...

If you don't have an answer for OP don't answer. Anything else you can start a spin off.

And for OP, Good for you for trying to make your teenager fit in. I don't have kids that age, so I can't help you. Good luck!
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics