Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Now the Left is angry at J.K. Rowling
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

simcha2

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 10:50 am
shaqued_almond wrote:
I dont think its the same. What is being declared transphobic is stating biological facts and criticizing discrimination of women on "behalf' of transwomen. Trans women cant have periods, their brain, body and psyche develops differently from bio women. Therefore a transwoman cant claim to have the same experiences even with surgeries and hormones.

Antisemitism is based on prejudice and lies, I.e. jews controll the world, all jews are rich and greedy. In a way those two oppose each other.

Can you not see the irony of your post? Do you think that when antisemites believe that jews control the world they don't think they're speaking the truth? (How about if they bring "proof"? Jews have up x% of the world's population but often y% of the wealth).

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:00 am
simcha2 wrote:
Can you not see the irony of your post? Do you think that when antisemites believe that jews control the world they don't think they're speaking the truth? (How about if they bring "proof"? Jews have up x% of the world's population but often y% of the wealth).

You really believe that anti semitism is the same as people unwilling to share a toilet with members of the opposite gender?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:08 am
A toilet or a bed?
(It's both)

Fox

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:09 am
sequoia wrote:
JK Rowling speaking the truth.

A guy on Twitter called me a "TERF" the other day -- it was obvious that this was the most heinous, egregious insult he could possible imagine. I thought it was pretty funny!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:10 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
A toilet or a bed?

A public bathroom.

Who someone shares a bed with is their business, and their business only.

Public bathrooms are shared by those of the SAME gender unless they are family bathrooms where you enter with YOUR FAMILY, by choice. No one should be forced to share a public bathroom with a stranger of the opposite gender.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
A public bathroom.

Who someone shares a bed with is their business, and their business only.

It should be their business, but now they are accused of transphobia if they discriminate based on biological s-x.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
It should be their business, but now they are accused of transphobia if they discriminate based on biological s-x.

It's not discrimination, it's a right to safety.

No one has a right to force anyone to share a bed with someone else.

simcha2

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
You really believe that anti semitism is the same as people unwilling to share a toilet with members of the opposite gender?

Not in the slightest.

But I believe in government permitted free speech even when I don't agree with it. I also believe that free speech doesn't mean free from consequence. (If I call someone an idiot they might like me, or if someone says antisemitic they risk censure).

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:16 am
simcha2 wrote:
Not in the slightest.

But I believe in government permitted free speech even when I don't agree with it. I also believe that free speech doesn't mean free from consequence. (If I call someone an idiot they might like me, or if someone says antisemitic they risk censure).

So there is no distinction between free speech and hate speech?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:16 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
It's important.

What's important?

That we criticize anyone who disagrees with JK Rowling, and tell them that they may not express their opinions, all in the name of "free speech" -- which clearly means free speech for the right, shut up and take it for the left.

Or that transgender people be denied the right to use public restrooms because someone in the next stall -- who cannot see them -- might be offended by whatever parts they can't see unless they peer through a crack in a really creepy and inappropriate manner.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:18 am
SixOfWands wrote:
That we criticize anyone who disagrees with JK Rowling, and tell them that they may not express their opinions, all in the name of "free speech" -- which clearly means free speech for the right, shut up and take it for the left.

Criticizing people is not the same as saying they shouldn't have free speech.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:18 am
It sounds like you have a problem with people expressing their opinions.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:21 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
Criticizing people is not the same as saying they shouldn't have free speech.

Except almost no one here -- yourself included -- is criticizing what the left said. You're criticizing the left for saying it. In fact, that's exactly what your subject says -- how DARE the left criticize things they disagree with.

simcha2

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
So there is no distinction between free speech and hate speech?

Not in the US (unless there is an incitement to violence, or calling FIRE in a crowded theater). In the UK there is a distinction.

But if you were trans and felt attacked by this thread, would you consider it hate speech?

(Also, why amother?)

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:23 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Except almost no one here -- yourself included -- is criticizing what the left said. You're criticizing the left for saying it. In fact, that's exactly what your subject says -- how DARE the left criticize things they disagree with.

Criticizing people for saying something is still free speech.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:23 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
It sounds like you have a problem with people expressing their opinions.

Indeed, please discuss why you think support Rowling's comments.

That's not what you're doing. You're criticizing others for disagreeing with her.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:24 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Indeed, please discuss why you think support Rowling's comments.

That's not what you're doing. You're criticizing others for disagreeing with her.

You are not addressing any actual points.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:24 am
Also, nobody has adequately explained why gender segregation is more acceptable than s-x segregation.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:25 am
simcha2 wrote:
Not in the US (unless there is an incitement to violence, or calling FIRE in a crowded theater). In the UK there is a distinction.

But if you were trans and felt attacked by this thread, would you consider it hate speech?

(Also, why amother?)

Anti semitism is literally an incitement to voilence as we saw the begining of the year in brooklyn...

banana123

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:28 am
SixOfWands wrote:
And yet it’s the right that starts countless threads. How DARE anyone on the left say such a thing. Dozens and dozens. Demonizing anyone who dares to disagree with the true gospel of the right. Accusing them of not being Jews.

If you publish an opinion, you can expect others to disagree with you. That’s freedom of speech. Not the echo chamber that right wingers seem to want.

Ehh.

Lots of people on the left start threads and make statements, and anyone speaking up gets demonized.

Maybe the left isn't starting countless threads on imamother, but in other places? For sure. Take a look at Twitter, Facebook...it's all run by the left. Anyone who dares say anything else is demonized. There is only one "truth" and only one acceptable way to think.

Freedom of speech goes both ways.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics