Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it not lady like?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:16 am
to drink from a can of soda? I was sitting outside another day watching my kids outside while drinking a can of diet coke. I suddenly felt like I was doing something strange then started thinking about the other women on my block and was thinking they wold never do it. is it socially off?

moonstone

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:18 am
It is absolutely fine and you shouldn't give it another thought.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:21 am
This may be one of those things that is a community standard. Where I live, women absolutely do drink right out of the can and don't think twice about it. The only time I was ever in a place where this was even a thing, to my knowledge, was when I was in Israel with my husband and we were in Meah Shaarim; we got cans of coke or whatever it was and the guy handed me a straw but not my husband, I laughed about it to my husband and it was him who told me that in Meah Shaarim, women do not drink right from the can. Otherwise, I have never been anywhere else where it was even a thought not to.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
to drink from a can of soda? I was sitting outside another day watching my kids outside while drinking a can of diet coke. I suddenly felt like I was doing something strange then started thinking about the other women on my block and was thinking they wold never do it. is it socially off?

I agree that it is not "ladylike", but I also think that the concept of ladylike belongs to an era that is long gone...

So yes, if you want to be ladylike, you should use a glass.

But who cares about ladylike nowadays?

in this respect, customs have evolved a lot...

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:22 am
It has nothing to do with lady like. It's not good manners or mentchlich to drink straight out of a bottle.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:23 am
The exact answer probably depends on where you live.

How different is it to drinking g from a bottle? That is something that has become very common.

Maybe in both situations it would be more elegant to use a straw rather than tipping a bottle/can in front if your face, but carrying straws around isn't so practical. Plastic ones break, and metal ones are impossible to clean.

Chazal say האוכל בשוק דומה לכלב. We are more casual now about eating and drinking in public, but maybe something worth thinking about and trying to avoid where possible.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:24 am
If you were sitting for a meal, many people would consider it more formal or refined to pour the soda into a glass and drink from the glass. Sitting outside isn't in the same category, it seems to me, since no glasses are available.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:26 am
If you make an indentation in the can under the opening then you won’t have to rip your head back in an un-ladylike way.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:37 am
Blessing1 wrote:
It has nothing to do with lady like. It's not good manners or mentchlich to drink straight out of a bottle.

Respectfully, you never drink straight from a water bottle?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:38 am
Ora in town wrote:
I agree that it is not "ladylike", but I also think that the concept of ladylike belongs to an era that is long gone...

So yes, if you want to be ladylike, you should use a glass.

But who cares about ladylike nowadays?

in this respect, customs have evolved a lot...

I agree with this. It’s not “ladylike” but acceptable anyway.

I personally get grossed out from putting my lips on the top of the can that was exposed to all kinds of dirt but maybe that’s just me.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:39 am
At one time fine restaurants had a separate menu for ladies WITHOUT prices.

I think context matters - if you are in an informal setting, why not. If you are at a more formal seated meal, I would assume one is given a glass for the soda. I know I am routinely given a glass at a restaurant and at nice dinner parties.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:41 am
Frumme wrote:
Respectfully, you never drink straight from a water bottle?

I use a straw in a water bottle. But a water bottle with a sports cap is made to drink out of. Other bottles are made to put in a straw.
I don't care what others do, I didn't say if it's right or wrong, it's just not mannered.

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:43 am
Elfrida wrote:
The exact answer probably depends on where you live.

How different is it to drinking g from a bottle? That is something that has become very common.

Maybe in both situations it would be more elegant to use a straw rather than tipping a bottle/can in front if your face, but carrying straws around isn't so practical. Plastic ones break, and metal ones are impossible to clean.

Chazal say האוכל בשוק דומה לכלב. We are more casual now about eating and drinking in public, but maybe something worth thinking about and trying to avoid where possible.

The Japanese seem to have a strong principle in following this... apparently, eating in the streets or outside a meal-setup is really not done in Japan...

...and it might be a good idea, health wise, to concentrate on eating while eating...

happy chick

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:44 am
Queen Elizabeth doesn't.
I do.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:45 am
Reminds me of Henny Youngman

My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:54 am
I don't think it's so ladylike but I'm sensitive to these things. I don't look down on anyone who does, I just try not to.

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 11:59 am
Yes, it's unladylike, and yes, I've done it many times. Definitely in private. Not my finest hour.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:04 pm
Elfrida wrote:

A repost:

The pshat that we (my family) follow explains that this is refers to a person who walks around a shuk, tasting from each seller's merchandise but doesn't buy anything, just eats until he's full.

For those who do eat in the shuk, here's a list of places (check hechshers yourself) https://tinyurl.com/shukeat

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:05 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I use a straw in a water bottle. But a water bottle with a sports cap is made to drink out of. Other bottles are made to put in a straw.
I don't care what others do, I didn't say if it's right or wrong, it's just not mannered.

If anything they are "made" to be poured.

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 12:05 pm
It's not lady like but we also live in an extremely casual society so most things women do today would be deemed "unladylike" by previous generational standards. I remember once as a kid maybe 5 or 6 years old visiting my grandparents and I came inside from playing and said I was sweating or something along the lines of mentioning sweat and my grandmother told me, "a lady doesn't sweat, she perspires."
I wouldn't think too much into it, if it really bothers you just bring out a glass next time but I don't think anyone would think anything beyond, sitting outside seems nice.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics