Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Similar To Imamother
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:31 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Whats FGP?

I think.. frum girl problems

singleagain

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Satmar doesnt let me in, I guess I'm not satmar enough. even though I was born there, raised there, kids go to yeshiva there, will prob be buried there, ...
So can I get into the MO group. I'd love to discuss evolution.

Did you request access? There's groups are private and you have to request access.. sometimes you need a post count of x amount non anonymous.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Isn't it sad Hashkafa shut down...?

Then there is this - it used to be FrumTeens but has been rebranded...
http://www.jewswithquestions.com/

Last post was a few years ago. Makes sense?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:42 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I would also love a modern orthodox or dati liberal version of imamother.
I would NOT want a Facebook group. The whole fun here is being able to debate and discuss without having my personal identity splattered all over the net. I don't participate in Facebook groups that much, definitely not with people who I don't know personally or are not part of my local community.

I realize some people think that there is a major MO presence here, but really there isn't. Most posters here come with a right-wing NY mentality. So while it's fascinating to read about different lifestyles and values, I really wish there were such a forum where the bulk of people were on the more liberal side of orthodoxy.

I would like to discuss all the things we discuss here (debates, family, child raising, politics etc) but in a place where values like feminism are embraced rather than denigrated.

Why is that? Why are MO people more one the liberal side?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

More liberal side of Orthodoxy. Not politics. Although I'd guess that there are more politically liberal MO Jews than politically liberal Chasids.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

Some MO are more on the liberal side, because of the nature of MO - remember it has the word modern in there.

But definitely not all MO are liberal. Some can be extremely conservative.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:51 pm
Some MO are more on the liberal side, because of the nature of MO - remember it has the word modern in there.

But definitely not all MO are liberal. Some can be extremely conservative.
And some can be very orthodox Smile

MO is such a vast umbrella of different types of people, but they are all orthodox, to different degrees, and all modern, to different degrees.

zissy2004

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:05 pm
OMG calmkallahs LOL, we still talk about that site sometime, it was horrifying. I actually like FGP, one place on FB where I know I can find like-minded women. There are enough other FB groups around that are less strict about hashkafa.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:05 pm
I would also love a modern orthodox or dati liberal version of imamother.
I would NOT want a Facebook group. The whole fun here is being able to debate and discuss without having my personal identity splattered all over the net. I don't participate in Facebook groups that much, definitely not with people who I don't know personally or are not part of my local community.

I realize some people think that there is a major MO presence here, but really there isn't. Most posters here come with a right-wing NY mentality. So while it's fascinating to read about different lifestyles and values, I really wish there were such a forum where the bulk of people were on the more liberal side of orthodoxy.

I would like to discuss all the things we discuss here (debates, family, child raising, politics etc) but in a place where values like feminism are embraced rather than denigrated.

I mean I don't know how far a thread where everyone agrees can go...

Part of the fun/intrigue is the diversity.

It's upsetting when it becomes personal. But for example: Even if I don't see myself becoming a yoetzet, would never ask a shail from a yoetzet and it's not my hashkafa. I sent friends who are more modern to go ask one, I do not want to pasken for them but they don't want to talk to a rav. They're more modern. I love them. They can and should call a yoetzet. So I send them there.

But I'm not modox. But I don't need to be. And I don't need modox sisters to be like me.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:31 pm
this is such a funny thread. I feel like liberalism feminism and modern orthodoxy are very well represented on this site, and their values are embraced and encouraged.

If anything it seems that the more right wing conservative views are disparaged and not fully accepted.

But that's just how I see it.

mig100

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
this is such a funny thread. I feel like liberalism feminism and modern orthodoxy are very well represented on this site, and their values are embraced and encouraged.

If anything it seems that the more right wing conservative views are disparaged and not fully accepted.

But that's just how I see it.

I see it differently. I am part of the yeshivish world. I definitely think the yeshivish and chasidish are by FAR the majority here.

Proof? Look how many threads there are on lakewood

malki2

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:09 pm
mig100 wrote:
I see it differently. I am part of the yeshivish world. I definitely think the yeshivish and chasidish are by FAR the majority here.

That’s just because everyone loves to talk about Lakewood.

mig100

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:10 pm
malki2 wrote:
That’s just because everyone loves to talk about Lakewood.

Was this post serious??
In the mo world??0

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:10 pm
mig100 wrote:

Population Lakewood - 100,000. Population Williamsburg and Kiryas Yoel - approximately 100,000. Population Borough Park - again, approximately 100,000. I guess by the law of averages you just get more posters from these places.

Even though in a recent thread only three posters admitted to living in Lakewood.

mig100

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:11 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Population Lakewood - 100,000. Population Williamsburg and Kiryas Yoel - approximately 100,000. Population Borough Park - again, approximately 100,000. I guess by the law of averages you just get more posters from these places.

Even though in a recent thread only three posters admitted to living in Lakewood.

That's true
Lakewood is very large. That still doesn't change the fact that I stated

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:31 pm
This is all so funny I posted this morning before I got busy and there are now 50 posts
I totally misrepresented myself and my question.

I am a balabatish not Modern just very chilled type. My problem with this site is not that the ideology is to right wing. The site has a very large mix in my opinion.I am looking for a site that deals a little bit more with the crowd in the middle.I would be very interested in talking about topics like kids having bofriends, I wouldn't be so sensitive to language and intimacy topics(they are always getting locked, like we cant make jokes.I fully respect being serious about it but thats not who I am) etc....a lot of these topics come with a different sort of problems which I dont see here its hard for me to explain. Basically if I am posting that me and my husband went to a movie together with another 2 couples and I noticed something and I want to talk about it....I am not interested in hearing oh you went to a movie?? with another couple?? I dont know I love this site for a lot of its benefits trust me I am not trying to sound like a hater just I dont see that middle crowd of plain chilled. Life is not perfect this site is not perfect. I can live without it just was wondering if there was another site thats more my type.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:49 pm
mig100 wrote:
That's true

Yeah well just for the record, Lakewood isn't only made up of right wing yeshivish, Kollel people anymore. That was in the olden days.

Lakewood has a super diverse popular from all the ends of the Jewish spectrum. You literally have every type and stripe.

So, a lot of Lakewood threads doesn't mean that this forum is very right wing. It just means a huge percentage of the orthodox population live there.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is all so funny I posted this morning before I got busy and there are now 50 posts
I totally misrepresented myself and my question.

I am a balabatish not Modern just very chilled type. My problem with this site is not that the ideology is to right wing. The site has a very large mix in my opinion.I am looking for a site that deals a little bit more with the crowd in the middle.I would be very interested in talking about topics like kids having bofriends, I wouldn't be so sensitive to language and intimacy topics(they are always getting locked, like we cant make jokes.I fully respect being serious about it but thats not who I am) etc....a lot of these topics come with a different sort of problems which I dont see here its hard for me to explain. Basically if I am posting that me and my husband went to a movie together with another 2 couples and I noticed something and I want to talk about it....I am not interested in hearing oh you went to a movie?? with another couple?? I dont know I love this site for a lot of its benefits trust me I am not trying to sound like a hater just I dont see that middle crowd of plain chilled. Life is not perfect this site is not perfect. I can live without it just was wondering if there was another site thats more my type.

But you could also formulate your question in a more abstract way, without mentionning the movie...

I don't quite understand what bothers you...

I don't look into certain topics, so I don't know what's happening there.

I have the impression that the moderation, overall, is fair... but that there are very vocal individuals on both sides (MO and RW), who would incite a more adverserial tone, without noting that they could be perceived as very aggressive or politically un-corret by the other side...

It's true, that as far as hashkafa, politics, medicine or science go, stances are very polarised on this forum...

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 6:53 pm
mig100 wrote:
That's true

I suppose that between Lakewood, BP and WB, there is a higher percentage of Lakewooders online than in BP or WB...

And I saw that WB and BP tend to stay anonymous, so they tend not to out themselves at all, and even less as WB or BP on the public fora.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Why would you be refused access if you're part of the satmar community?

I don't understand...

I bet they go through the posts and decide if you "fit" .. I'm making assumptions, since I wasn't even given the courtesy of a reply. But whatever you experience in the street, follows you online... even though ever single satmar person (including me) is going against the one edict ... thou shall not be on zee internet.

Shoin.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics